Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#42,145 ·
Well, I spent the last day and a half in the garage on my back adding some new parts to the Jeep...

Since I am privy to what Santa is bringing me at the in-law's place this year, I figured I can finally do some upgrades. I just happen to know what I'm getting just cuz I'm so incredibly AWESOME! (And I ordered the stuff for them instead of having them just give me cash so I could buy it myself...)

Under the tree sits front and rear diff guards, a tummy tuck, and 1" seat risers waiting to be opened for christmas, so I ordered a few other things I have been saving up for.

In order to make room for the tummy tuck, I installed a BL and MML. Following that I added some grab handles to the cage, just so the wife had something to grab onto when getting into the Jeep... She was already complaining it was too tall!

Also, I have been pinching those pennies so I can finally get some new bumpers and a tire carrier... Enter the Smittybilt XRC bumper system. All I can say is WOW!! SOLID, and not even a whisper of a rattle!

Dang I need inlaws like that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#42,146 · (Edited)
Could be soon, we are supposed to get 10" of snow in the next few hours !!
We ended up with 22 inches for the official (NOAA) amount of snow fall. I had a snowdrift up to my chest (I am only 5'7" but it sounds more impressive if I don't say that) for about 20 feet of my driveway. Took me about 2 hours just to get that out of the way. I had to shovel, snowblower, repeat multiple times.

I forgot to take before pics. I was too busy feelin' sorry for myself :D

#42,147 ·
Sat morning, basic maint (tire pressure and the like) and moved the mirrors back to the doors for the winter. Glad I did it - the mirror mover kit hardware is total junk. The bolts are rusted mostly through, the washers are shot, and the bracket itself is rusting all over my paint.. not good.

Then we took it 6 hours down to NC to get ham and wine for the holidays. (Turns out the place we wanted to get ham is closed on the weekends. Doh! Didn't check the website, forgot that we usually drive on Mondays.. They do online orders though, so thats all good.) Rain and traffic on the whole drive home yesterday, and my bbq-fu failed at picking dinner. (Ended up at Ralph's, uniformly good reviews overrode my usual "no buffets!" rule. Food was ok, but bland, and everything was cooked to death - pulled meats were mush, porkchops were dry, etc..)

#42,150 ·
what are the 2 holes for?
Looks mostly. The box part is just what's in the center section. The holes are there so I can place longer items in the back. And I wanted the box to span the width of the tub, so it could be used as a seat in a pinch.

If the box part were moved to the edge, you could place the amp in the hole.
My amps are under each seat, so that wasn't necessary.

:cheers2:

#42,154 ·
Installed new Super Start AGM battery. MUCH better starting now.

#42,155 ·
Sat morning, basic maint (tire pressure and the like) and moved the mirrors back to the doors for the winter. Glad I did it - the mirror mover kit hardware is total junk. The bolts are rusted mostly through, the washers are shot, and the bracket itself is rusting all over my paint.. not good.

Then we took it 6 hours down to NC to get ham and wine for the holidays. (Turns out the place we wanted to get ham is closed on the weekends. Doh! Didn't check the website, forgot that we usually drive on Mondays.. They do online orders though, so thats all good.) Rain and traffic on the whole drive home yesterday, and my bbq-fu failed at picking dinner. (Ended up at Ralph's, uniformly good reviews overrode my usual "no buffets!" rule. Food was ok, but bland, and everything was cooked to death - pulled meats were mush, porkchops were dry, etc..)
I recently got the original mirror brackets for the doors from a member on the forum, and I was trying to move mine from the mirror movers back to the original spot, but the hardware doesn't seem to match up. Maybe different mirror mover setups use different hardware, but I assumed all of the hardware from the door except for the mount itself would be re-used. At the bottom of the mirror bracket on the door that the mirror itself slips down into, there's not enough room to thread the nut onto the base of the mirror. Am I doing something wrong, or do I need different hardware? I looked at a TJ with stock mirrors at Gander Mtn today to see what it looked like from the bottom side of the mirror and it looks different from the ones that I have. I can get pictures up if necessary, but I'm just wondering if there's something obvious I'm overlooking or if it's supposed to use the same hardware--mainly the nut from the bottom of the mirror movers.

#42,158 ·
..At the bottom of the mirror bracket on the door that the mirror itself slips down into, there's not enough room to thread the nut onto the base of the mirror.
That all changed after 03 (so my mirrors and door mounting plate are still and always one piece) but it should work as described.. push harder maybe?

Might open a new thread about it if you don't get answers - in the newer style, you can't separate those pieces at all, so I can't even take a look at mine to offer suggestions.. Seems like it should work though.