Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#42,121 ·
How involved was that? I've seen a few YJ hard tops that were much closer to being affordable than the TJ tops around here for sale. Everyone wants $800-1000 or more for a TJ hard top, and like $200-500 for a YJ top.
I'll answer that one for ya. Use a grinder to trim down the front bit where it mounts to the windshield. The difference between the YJ and TJ hardtops is the angle and height at which it matches up to the windshield which can be trimmed if going from YJ top to a TJ, but wouldnt work if trying to use a TJ top on a YJ. Once trimmed the doors match up well, and the rear tub dimensions are the same cause the YJ and TJ have same size tubs. You will have to relocate the clamps for the front or find some that work for that set up. The one I used had aftermarket clamps that latched to footman loops so I just had to relocate the clamps and loops after grinding the header part to where I liked and called it good.

A couple of years ago I put a YJ Pavement Ends 2 piece I got for $700 on a closeout through Collins Bros on my mothers TJ. Been on there since '07 and no problems. :thumbsup:

Attachments

#42,124 ·
Wheeled it on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and stopped by to evaluate the Superwich I discovered on Craigslist. Will pick up the winch later this week.

#42,129 ·
Was Wed night into Thurs morning but I replaced my catalytic converters so I could get my inspection. The four bolts into the manifold came out easy enough but I could not get the two nuts off the studs on the muffler end. I ended up dropping the skid plate and when I put the breaker bar on them they snapped the studs so I had to beat the studs out and use bolts. by the time I was done getting it all back together it was 1:15 am and 33 degrees. Drove it the next day and the front yoke was slapping the new pipe a little so I got back under there, loosend up the manifold bolts and clamp and used a prybar to move the pipe over. Its as far as it will go now, the heatshields on the upper cats are against the engine block, so we'll see if it bumps anymore and if it does I will have to dimple the pipe a little with a bfh. By the way, the codes I was getting were P0421 and P0431, was definitely bad upper cats, they were hollow when I pulled them off. I got the cats from eastern catalytic, i have seen some mixed reviews so I am keeping my fingers crossed. My biggest regret is not having a replacement skid to get rid of the shovel as long as I had it removed anyway.

#42,130 ·
Here you go.the part of the bumper changed/damaged after hitting the tree. (unsure of speed but belie apx 20mph)

From the front realy can't tell it's diffrent.

Definitely looks like it saved the Jeep from damage. :thumbsup: A quick weld, grind, and paint and you'd never be able to tell it was hit. :cheers2:

#42,134 ·
Thanks to our midwest "blizzard" The jeep and I went lot drifting last night with the wife and kids... returned this afternoon to tackle one of the plowed banks in response to the wife's "encouragment".

High centered "tink" with about 2 and a half feet of packed snow under the diffs... Some quick shovel work, a few waves to the patrons of the County Market that slowed down to stare with their befuddled dog cocked heads, and we were back our way with giggles shared by all.

Next time, either tackle a bank that is not higher than my hood and longer than the jeep..... or... carry more speed :):2thumbsup:

#42,137 ·
Bought 4 used old style RS9000 shocks for $40. The fronts are for a 2.5" lift, the rear for stock height. Hopefully with the rear shock shifters, the rears will work out. I'm hoping they're good enough to replace my RC 2.2s.