What did you do to your TJ today? - Page 1601 - JeepForum.com

 215Likes
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #24001 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 12:02 PM
2003X
Registered User
2003 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Boston
Posts: 5,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseale View Post
So, I do some homework, and go back armed with information from the DMV, showing him:

(3) The suspension has been altered, and the bottom edge of the horizontal bumper bar:

a. Is less than 16 inches or more than 20 inches above level ground on a passenger vehicle;

b. Is less than 16 inches or more than 30 inches above level ground on a multipurpose passenger vehicle; or

c. Is less than 16 inches or more than 30 inches to the bottom of the front or rear frame rails of a light-duty truck, measured where the bumpers would be attached by the manufacturer;


He looks at me and says "it's of his opinion that this vehicle is not road worthy because it has been modified - it's not approved" and walked away.

I wasn't going to leave it at that. I called the State Police (Troop G - Commercial Vehicle Enforcement) and explained my story. He said he would call the garage, to get their end of the story. Upon contacting the garage and after having identified himself as a trooper, the mechanic used profane language, would not let the trooper get one word in, and hung up on him.

The trooper called me back, to say that there are two types of interpretations. It's been mod'd and does not pass or it's been mod'd and we review the laws as they are written, and make educated decisions based on them. He suggested I go to another inspection station. Since this could possibly raise a red flag with another inspection station, he suggested I tell them my story, and use Troop G as a reference and call them if necessary.

Stay tuned.
They wouldn't give you a sticker because of a 3" lift and 33s, thats crazy.

2003X is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24002 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 12:20 PM
clb251
Registered User
2004 LJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midlothian, Virginia
Posts: 48
What did I do to my jeep today...

The most important thing:

I BOUGHT ONE...

04 Yellow LJ

Lovin it - missed my 99 ever since i sold it...
clb251 is offline  
post #24003 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 12:23 PM
gseale
Registered User
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: NH
Posts: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
They wouldn't give you a sticker because of a 3" lift and 33s, thats crazy.
I did NOT have my 33's. I put on my 215/75 to be sure it would pass...go figure.


~2006 TJ SE 2.4L~
~3" BDS lift, BDS Trackbar~
~LoD Heavy Duty Tire Bumper/Carrier~
~LoD Heavy Duty 44" Front Bumper~
~33/12.5/15 trXus STS Radial, 15X8 Pro Comp Series 8179's~
gseale is offline  
post #24004 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 12:27 PM
SpydermanTJ
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: So Cal
Posts: 502
Quote:
Originally Posted by gseale View Post
So, I do some homework, and go back armed with information from the DMV, showing him:

(3) The suspension has been altered, and the bottom edge of the horizontal bumper bar:

a. Is less than 16 inches or more than 20 inches above level ground on a passenger vehicle;

b. Is less than 16 inches or more than 30 inches above level ground on a multipurpose passenger vehicle; or

c. Is less than 16 inches or more than 30 inches to the bottom of the front or rear frame rails of a light-duty truck, measured where the bumpers would be attached by the manufacturer;


He looks at me and says "it's of his opinion that this vehicle is not road worthy because it has been modified - it's not approved" and walked away.

I wasn't going to leave it at that. I called the State Police (Troop G - Commercial Vehicle Enforcement) and explained my story. He said he would call the garage, to get their end of the story. Upon contacting the garage and after having identified himself as a trooper, the mechanic used profane language, would not let the trooper get one word in, and hung up on him.

The trooper called me back, to say that there are two types of interpretations. It's been mod'd and does not pass or it's been mod'd and we review the laws as they are written, and make educated decisions based on them. He suggested I go to another inspection station. Since this could possibly raise a red flag with another inspection station, he suggested I tell them my story, and use Troop G as a reference and call them if necessary.

Stay tuned.
Sounds like that station guy has a huge chip on his shoulder!! And against Jeeps????
When I got my Jeep smogged, I went to a local station as well. Because I had DC'd my battery the night before while working on the stereo, the computer memory was cleared. The guy told me to drive it around for half an hour and come back. Really nice guy, said he didn't want to fail my Jeep cuz "its such a nice Jeep".
Hopefully you get this situation squared away soon...

2000 4dr XJ 2WD, 4.0L auto
Gone, but not forgotten- 1998 TJ Sport
Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline  
post #24005 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 12:29 PM
ChitwnGrnJP
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 190
I just bought a UPOL Raptor kit, a steering box skid, and puck spacers to level out the rig. I love ebay.

| 3.5" RE Lift | 315/75R16 BFG KM2's | Dana 30 w/ Lockrite | Dana 44 | Metalcloak Front Bumper | Smittybilt Rocker Armor | Knockoff Warn Tire Carrier | Rokmen Shorty Corners |
ChitwnGrnJP is offline  
post #24006 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 12:32 PM
Zachs
Registered User
2000 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kinston, NC
Posts: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
What are those LED turn signals you've got there?
Just some I bought from a truck lighting ebay company. They work nice, but def aren't bright enough for daytime use. At night the perfect.

2000 Sahara TJ
1997 Limited ZJ
Zachs is offline  
post #24007 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 01:19 PM
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!
 
koolaid5's Avatar
1992 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Chambersburg
Posts: 5,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitwnGrnJP View Post
I just bought a UPOL Raptor kit, a steering box skid, and puck spacers to level out the rig. I love ebay.

U-POL Raptor....

good choice
koolaid5 is offline  
post #24008 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 01:36 PM
Mttrek360
Registered User
1999 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Posts: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
U-POL Raptor....

good choice
I can't wait to spray mine this weekend. Its all I have been thinking about. Not too much going on in my life

Pics or it didn't happen.
Mttrek360 is offline  
post #24009 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 PM
Mini-Me26
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 868
Put the hard top back on. Then I deduced that my door hinges have bent down just a smidge from riding around with no door seals all summer. I'm going to chew up my driver side one in a few weeks if I don't figure something out. I tried tilting the door up with washers on the pins, but it didn't work. Anybody have an idea other than replacing the hinges?

I forgot how quiet the hard top quiet is.
Mini-Me26 is offline  
post #24010 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 01:47 PM
peddlerofpunk
Registered User
2005 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: manchester
Posts: 113
topped off the rear diff, bad pinion seal?(where driveshaft goes in....gonna replace it soon....

2005 Red jeep Wrangler SE - warn rockcrawler front and rear bumper, warn rock sliders, 2" pro comp susp. lift, 33x12.5x15 BFG A/Ts, KC windsheild light mounts with el cheapo HF lights.

PUNK ISNT DEAD
Red Jeep Club member #200
peddlerofpunk is offline  
post #24011 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 01:55 PM
Niceface
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: The Woodlands
Posts: 972
I picked up a pair of A to Z Fab. rock sliders over the weekend. Decided to clean them up a little bit before I installed them on the jeep.

Primed



and Painted!



Just finished up today. Will mount them tonight or tomorrow probably.
Niceface is offline  
post #24012 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 02:00 PM
Doogie1022
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 153
put my hard top back on

I have... 12 JK 4dr Sport 2.5" higher on 35" Rubber
I had... 05 Rubicon - Ssssssstock
I had... 01 TJ Sport - 4" Superlift, K&N FIPK, 31" Firestones MT's on Black Cragar Soft 8's, B&M Shifter, Rubicon Rocker Guards, Flowmaster Delta 40, Uniden CB
Doogie1022 is offline  
post #24013 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 02:13 PM
Mini-Me26
Registered User
2004 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Posts: 868
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie1022 View Post
put my hard top back on
It was very fitting weather here. It spat a little, then was overcast, then spat, then back to overcast.
Mini-Me26 is offline  
post #24014 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 02:47 PM
fatcop
Registered User
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Leavenworth, KS
Posts: 78
4x6 to 5 1/4 conversion.

Will be taking a certain new box set for a test drive now.



I got blistahs on my fingahs!
fatcop is offline  
post #24015 of 110772 Old 09-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Deacon
Web Wheeler
 
Deacon's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 5,093
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb251 View Post
What did I do to my jeep today...

The most important thing:

I BOUGHT ONE...

04 Yellow LJ

Lovin it - missed my 99 ever since i sold it...
Dude, congrats! But seriously...where are the pics??
Deacon is offline  
Reply

Tags
modifications , tj

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 7 (6 members and 1 guests)
coaltrain56 , degkop , irnmadn88 , Mud Machine , Renegade88 , Whiskyb
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Not a good day today. :( CHRRRIS TJ Wrangler Technical Forum 39 08-14-2016 04:08 PM
I had fun today! Burnerman YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 9 06-18-2014 06:12 PM
what i did to my tj today? shovelhead Wrangler General Discussion 6 11-05-2012 12:22 PM
Hit by Bus Today Cooneys08JK JK Wrangler Technical Forum 32 01-07-2012 03:30 PM
New today AZGreenMonster YJ Wrangler Technical Forum 7 09-02-2010 07:52 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome