What did you do to your TJ today? - Page 1601 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did you do to your TJ today?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 09-29-2009, 01:02 PM   #24001
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gseale View Post
So, I do some homework, and go back armed with information from the DMV, showing him:

(3) The suspension has been altered, and the bottom edge of the horizontal bumper bar:

a. Is less than 16 inches or more than 20 inches above level ground on a passenger vehicle;

b. Is less than 16 inches or more than 30 inches above level ground on a multipurpose passenger vehicle; or

c. Is less than 16 inches or more than 30 inches to the bottom of the front or rear frame rails of a light-duty truck, measured where the bumpers would be attached by the manufacturer;

He looks at me and says "it's of his opinion that this vehicle is not road worthy because it has been modified - it's not approved" and walked away.

I wasn't going to leave it at that. I called the State Police (Troop G - Commercial Vehicle Enforcement) and explained my story. He said he would call the garage, to get their end of the story. Upon contacting the garage and after having identified himself as a trooper, the mechanic used profane language, would not let the trooper get one word in, and hung up on him.

The trooper called me back, to say that there are two types of interpretations. It's been mod'd and does not pass or it's been mod'd and we review the laws as they are written, and make educated decisions based on them. He suggested I go to another inspection station. Since this could possibly raise a red flag with another inspection station, he suggested I tell them my story, and use Troop G as a reference and call them if necessary.

Stay tuned.
They wouldn't give you a sticker because of a 3" lift and 33s, thats crazy.

2003X is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #24002
clb251
2004 LJ Wrangler 

What did I do to my jeep today...

The most important thing:

I BOUGHT ONE...

04 Yellow LJ

Lovin it - missed my 99 ever since i sold it...
clb251 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:23 PM   #24003
gseale
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003X View Post
They wouldn't give you a sticker because of a 3" lift and 33s, thats crazy.
I did NOT have my 33's. I put on my 215/75 to be sure it would pass...go figure.

~2006 TJ SE 2.4L~
~3" BDS lift, BDS Trackbar~
~LoD Heavy Duty Tire Bumper/Carrier~
~LoD Heavy Duty 44" Front Bumper~
~33/12.5/15 trXus STS Radial, 15X8 Pro Comp Series 8179's~
gseale is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #24004
SpydermanTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by gseale View Post
So, I do some homework, and go back armed with information from the DMV, showing him:

(3) The suspension has been altered, and the bottom edge of the horizontal bumper bar:

a. Is less than 16 inches or more than 20 inches above level ground on a passenger vehicle;

b. Is less than 16 inches or more than 30 inches above level ground on a multipurpose passenger vehicle; or

c. Is less than 16 inches or more than 30 inches to the bottom of the front or rear frame rails of a light-duty truck, measured where the bumpers would be attached by the manufacturer;

He looks at me and says "it's of his opinion that this vehicle is not road worthy because it has been modified - it's not approved" and walked away.

I wasn't going to leave it at that. I called the State Police (Troop G - Commercial Vehicle Enforcement) and explained my story. He said he would call the garage, to get their end of the story. Upon contacting the garage and after having identified himself as a trooper, the mechanic used profane language, would not let the trooper get one word in, and hung up on him.

The trooper called me back, to say that there are two types of interpretations. It's been mod'd and does not pass or it's been mod'd and we review the laws as they are written, and make educated decisions based on them. He suggested I go to another inspection station. Since this could possibly raise a red flag with another inspection station, he suggested I tell them my story, and use Troop G as a reference and call them if necessary.

Stay tuned.
Sounds like that station guy has a huge chip on his shoulder!! And against Jeeps????
When I got my Jeep smogged, I went to a local station as well. Because I had DC'd my battery the night before while working on the stereo, the computer memory was cleared. The guy told me to drive it around for half an hour and come back. Really nice guy, said he didn't want to fail my Jeep cuz "its such a nice Jeep".
Hopefully you get this situation squared away soon...
Nightcrew #162

"i'd want a bottle of 12 year old scotch and a 24 pack of rubbers. i'll go places with a hard-on that most people wont go with a mechanized infantry batallion."
SpydermanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #24005
ChitwnGrnJP
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I just bought a UPOL Raptor kit, a steering box skid, and puck spacers to level out the rig. I love ebay.
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:32 PM   #24006
Zachs
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGriffith View Post
What are those LED turn signals you've got there?
Just some I bought from a truck lighting ebay company. They work nice, but def aren't bright enough for daytime use. At night the perfect.
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:19 PM   #24007
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitwnGrnJP View Post
I just bought a UPOL Raptor kit, a steering box skid, and puck spacers to level out the rig. I love ebay.

U-POL Raptor....

good choice
koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:36 PM   #24008
Mttrek360
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
U-POL Raptor....

good choice
I can't wait to spray mine this weekend. Its all I have been thinking about. Not too much going on in my life
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #24009
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Put the hard top back on. Then I deduced that my door hinges have bent down just a smidge from riding around with no door seals all summer. I'm going to chew up my driver side one in a few weeks if I don't figure something out. I tried tilting the door up with washers on the pins, but it didn't work. Anybody have an idea other than replacing the hinges?

I forgot how quiet the hard top quiet is.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:47 PM   #24010
peddlerofpunk
2005 TJ Wrangler 

topped off the rear diff, bad pinion seal?(where driveshaft goes in....gonna replace it soon....

PUNK ISNT DEAD
Red Jeep Club member #200
peddlerofpunk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:55 PM   #24011
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I picked up a pair of A to Z Fab. rock sliders over the weekend. Decided to clean them up a little bit before I installed them on the jeep.

Primed

and Painted!

Just finished up today. Will mount them tonight or tomorrow probably.
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:00 PM   #24012
Doogie1022
2012 JK Wrangler 

put my hard top back on
Doogie1022 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:13 PM   #24013
Mini-Me26
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogie1022 View Post
put my hard top back on
It was very fitting weather here. It spat a little, then was overcast, then spat, then back to overcast.
Mini-Me26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:47 PM   #24014
fatcop
1997 TJ Wrangler 

4x6 to 5 1/4 conversion.

Will be taking a certain new box set for a test drive now.

I got blistahs on my fingahs!
fatcop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #24015
Deacon
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb251 View Post
What did I do to my jeep today...

The most important thing:

I BOUGHT ONE...

04 Yellow LJ

Lovin it - missed my 99 ever since i sold it...
Dude, congrats! But seriously...where are the pics??
Deacon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
modifications , tj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.