Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#20,243 ·
thats some damn good penetration.. are you a professional?
That's what she said :teehee:

And no... I am using a Hobart Handler 140A welder w/ 0.035" flux core w/ heat all the way up, wire speed is around 35 IIRC. Most of those pics are two passes, the only ones that I only did one pass on were the insides of the LCA mounts, heat distortion was screwing me up already and I didn't want to bend the brackets further toward each other. It will be boxed in anyways so it should be okay.

FWIW I taught myself how to weld with some tips from this site, Pirate 4x4, and especially Eddie(BESRK on here) about 5-6 months ago maybe?

Yeah, thats not too bad. :D

#20,247 ·
Painted headlight bezels and faded footman loop in flat black, the paint is curing now, will install and take pictures tomorrow. I'm planning to paint both my bumpers plus other pieces within the month.

#20,249 ·
ugh... day 5 of my regear project...

Had the axles regeard to 4:56s at a very nice off road shop for only 900 bucks (plus tax). I pulled the axles off the jeep last weekend, the shop had the axles done in two days.

I threw the D44 back into the jeep last tuesday night, popped the tires on and got a measurement for my new DS. Then i started on the front axle... still cant get that sucker to line up... need to go and get some heavy duty straps to help me wratchet into place.

I picked up a AA sye kit yesterday and started to install that, I left the tcase in the jeep because i have a lot of room down there. The SYE install was haulted at 11pm when my snap ring pliers couldnt handle the ID snap ring in the tcase... so off to sears tonight.

Today in the mail comes a new soft top, rear adj uppers. I dont work fridays so im expecting to get everything put back together. BOOYAA!!

#20,250 ·
Did you changed the pump or the whole fuel sending unit?

Layed under it at 6:30am in the rain trying to figure out why my brand new fuel pump isn't working
just been tru that, change the whole Fuel sending unit with the fuel pump, filter and regulator :2thumbsup:

#20,251 ·
My 1997 TJ sleeps in the garage, while my wife's 328xi Coupe, my daughters 328xi and my Z4M Coupe stand in the rain ;)
Read you sig. Good job on not being whipped like most guys. I laugh at my dad because their garage is big enough for both of their cars, but my mom is annoyed with his being in there because she wants more space "in case" she needs to get into the passenger side she wants to be able to open the door completely, so he parks it outside. :rolleyes:

Damn he's whipped and damn she's a brat :rofl:

#20,252 ·
That's what she said :teehee:

And no... I am using a Hobart Handler 140A welder w/ 0.035" flux core w/ heat all the way up, wire speed is around 35 IIRC. Most of those pics are two passes, the only ones that I only did one pass on were the insides of the LCA mounts, heat distortion was screwing me up already and I didn't want to bend the brackets further toward each other. It will be boxed in anyways so it should be okay.

FWIW I taught myself how to weld with some tips from this site, Pirate 4x4, and especially Eddie(BESRK on here) about 5-6 months ago maybe?

Welds shrink when they solidify which causes the part to pull towards the weld. The best way to counter this is to add a few good tacks on one side while holding the part from twisting, double checking that the part is straight, then welding the other side. The tacks will keep the part from twisting :thumbsup:

#20,253 ·
I got the best wife, smart, sexy, cute , she helps on the jeep and she has a good job

Read you sig. Good job on not being whipped like most guys. I laugh at my dad because their garage is big enough for both of their cars, but my mom is annoyed with his being in there because she wants more space "in case" she needs to get into the passenger side she wants to be able to open the door completely, so he parks it outside. :rolleyes:

Damn he's whipped and damn she's a brat :rofl:
we are equal partners, but then again she gets me , she helps me on most jeep projects and ebay's the mods I want I hit the mother lode my wife is awesome :kiss::2thumbsup:

#20,257 ·
Welds shrink when they solidify which causes the part to pull towards the weld. The best way to counter this is to add a few good tacks on one side while holding the part from twisting, double checking that the part is straight, then welding the other side. The tacks will keep the part from twisting :thumbsup:
You could just clamp the part really well. No matter which side you tack or weld on, it will still pull to that side. I usually clamp it really good, and if I have something that has a mount on either side, stick a piece of steel that size between the two mounts and tack it to the two mounts to keep it from growing in or out. Then weld the two mounts.

Oh flatlander, if you want to keep some of that spatter from getting all over the place, use cooking spray as an anti-spatter spray. Little cheaper. :2thumbsup:

#20,258 ·
Went to do my brake pads and realized the only reason they were squeaking was the PO of the axle never greased them when he installed them. So I greased the calipers and stuck the perfectly good old pads back on and took it for a spin...no squeak