Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#92,442 ·
Determined my battery needs replacing. Great....
Haha, all the FL cars aren't used to "cold" weather...my mom's car needs a battery now too.

I've read good things about the Sears diehard platinum batteries.

I'm running an Optima....supposedly they aren't as good of quality anymore, but it's the best I could get at the time & it's held up well for 4ish years so far

Sent by a messenger bird

#92,443 ·
jeepwrangler97 said:
Haha, all the FL cars aren't used to "cold" weather...my mom's car needs a battery now too. I've read good things about the Sears diehard platinum batteries. I'm running an Optima....supposedly they aren't as good of quality anymore, but it's the best I could get at the time & it's held up well for 4ish years so far Sent by a messenger bird
All my batteries have been optimas. They last a while

#92,444 ·
All my batteries have been optimas. They last a while
I got a *cheap* redtop & have had no complaints yet & it's held up to everything well. Granted we don't have many cold starts here. I have jumped quite a few cars/batteries though.

I tried to jump a diesel truck...haha, but I don't think it was the battery's fault....it was a diesel truck

Sent by a messenger bird

#92,446 ·
Installed BDS 3" coils, Bilstein 5100's, and Crown Perf brake lines in the front. Didn't have time to touch the rear. Sits with a pretty obvious rake now but that just convinces me that the 2" rear coils will be perfect. Felt good on the road but I noticed the biggest difference on the gravel driveway. Front end floated over the gravel like it was paved.

#92,451 ·
jeepwrangler97 said:
Haha, all the FL cars aren't used to "cold" weather...my mom's car needs a battery now too. I've read good things about the Sears diehard platinum batteries. I'm running an Optima....supposedly they aren't as good of quality anymore, but it's the best I could get at the time & it's held up well for 4ish years so far Sent by a messenger bird
This one lasted 5 years that I know of. Not a bad run.

I'm going to purchase a sears battery to replace it.

#92,453 ·
ThatWhiteJeep said:
Ordered new spicer 5-760x u joints for the old girl. Pb blasted all the joints in prepping for the new lift kit and tires tomorrow. I'm gonna do the hammer method to swap out the u joints on the axle shafts instead of taking it to a shop, anyone have any luck with this?
Go buy the harbor friend u joint/ball joint tool. I've used it for 5+ u joints. It's cheap and it definitely makes the job easier.

#92,455 ·
apaTJ said:
The hammer method works fine. That's all I've used. But i plan on getting a press it will be a lot easier.
The upsetting thing is I just had it aligned after the lift yesterday, and I'll have to have it aligned again after replacing the U joints. Nice waste of money.....

#92,457 ·
The hammer method works fine. That's all I've used. But i plan on getting a press it will be a lot easier.
The only problem I ran into using only a hammer was that the original U-Joints were retained by a plastic injection from the factory. Required a ball joint tool and an impact to snap them loose. Look at the ear of the drive shaft, notice the little white spot? That is what I am talking about.

#92,458 ·
The only problem I ran into using only a hammer was that the original U-Joints were retained by a plastic injection from the factory. Required a ball joint tool and an impact to snap them loose. Look at the ear of the drive shaft, notice the little white spot? That is what I am talking about.
A blowtorch also works to break the plastic injection free.