Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#90,761 ·
dwbrown said:
That looks great. I bent my roll bar a few months ago. Figure when i replace the cage i should add some kind of it in. It would be logical and all :p

#90,764 ·
No, I'm saying that most well built Jeeps have an adequate winch for what they use their Jeep for...
that jeeps going to be a rock and snow rig.

#90,775 ·
I finally got my new starter today... I'm ashamed to say it's still not finished several hours later. I'm a big guy and it's hard for me to snake my arms through some of those crevices and twist in certain directions that you need to in order to access the starter. Carpal tunnel is also kicking my *** right now... I got it in, and it fires right up, but it makes a grinding noise when it's starting. I took it back out and checked the connections because I was afraid it wasn't sitting correctly and grinding against the flywheel or something. Checked alignment, and bolted it back up--but it still makes the noise.

Now I do want to mention one thing... The starter I pulled out might very well be the original starter, and there was only one bolt in it. It was only attached via the lower bolt near the transmission and oil pan. Obviously I want to get another bolt to install it the way it's meant to be, but it never made a grinding noise like that before and it was already only bolted in with one bolt.

Should I be alarmed? Or is it probably just that simple and I just need another bolt? ...or worse, am I going to have to return the starter and repeat this process again?

edit: after doing some searching, it does sound like flywheel grinding... I guess I need to look into shimming the starter. Agreed?

#90,776 ·
Well today was pretty dang successful. I'm pretty confident we will have doubled our membership by time everyone joins up. There was also a large amount of people taking pictures from afar so I'm sure those will make it on Facebook and Twitter. Also sounds like we're going to have quite the crowd at our Dec 5-7 Uwharrie run.

#90,777 ·
Noticed a clunking on acceleration and then a machine one again upon deceleration driving home today

I'm thinking control arms, but not sure yet.

Sent from my TJ

#90,778 ·
I finally got my new starter today... I'm ashamed to say it's still not finished several hours later. I'm a big guy and it's hard for me to snake my arms through some of those crevices and twist in certain directions that you need to in order to access the starter. Carpal tunnel is also kicking my *** right now... I got it in, and it fires right up, but it makes a grinding noise when it's starting. I took it back out and checked the connections because I was afraid it wasn't sitting correctly and grinding against the flywheel or something. Checked alignment, and bolted it back up--but it still makes the noise.

Now I do want to mention one thing... The starter I pulled out might very well be the original starter, and there was only one bolt in it. It was only attached via the lower bolt near the transmission and oil pan. Obviously I want to get another bolt to install it the way it's meant to be, but it never made a grinding noise like that before and it was already only bolted in with one bolt.

Should I be alarmed? Or is it probably just that simple and I just need another bolt? ...or worse, am I going to have to return the starter and repeat this process again?

edit: after doing some searching, it does sound like flywheel grinding... I guess I need to look into shimming the starter. Agreed?
I'm not an expert...but maybe the starter isn't disengaging fast enough or something.

I'd put the other bolt in & then I'd swap it for another one if it still grinds, before I'd start shimming it. My experience is sometimes parts store reman parts are hit or miss.

Sucks about having to squeeze back in there...Haha I'm not a big guy, if I were close I'd help ya out

Sent by a messenger bird

#90,779 ·
Well today was pretty dang successful. I'm pretty confident we will have doubled our membership by time everyone joins up. There was also a large amount of people taking pictures from afar so I'm sure those will make it on Facebook and Twitter. Also sounds like we're going to have quite the crowd at our Dec 5-7 Uwharrie run.

http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/sjones26573/media/photo2_zps91ec9b16.jpg.html
http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/sjones26573/media/photo1_zpsd5149fea.jpg.html
That's awesome...there were like 8ish jeeps that were at my school & maybe 2-3 that wheeled...but I went to a small school.

Sent by a messenger bird

#90,780 ·
Technically not today.. But last weekend...

Installed a back seat
Swapped exhaust manifold
Swapped both front wheel bearings
Swapped the track bar
Swapped air filter
Swapped in new spark plugs
Changed oil and filter
Got a new set of 4 steel wheels
Rotated tires
Got aligned and balanced

GOT RID OF THE DEATH WOBBLE!