Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#74,361 ·
jLowrey83 said:
I think you're gonna be fine. I drove around Ga for like 3 weeks without a tag once. I just couldn't seem to make it up to woodbine to get it :D

Here in Fl, they could really give a sh*t. But I still sprung for some Rugged Ridge mirror movers. I like them, very factory look. There's some other routes you could take as well. There's the motorcycle mirror in the door hinge trick, and I've also seen people stick those convex spot mirrors to the inside of their windshields.

Here's mine

Oh, and that's a VERY good looking Jeep you've got there. Love that color, especially with the beefy black fenders. Tube theme is cool too. However my friend, zombies aren't real ;)
Yet...they aren't real yet! Haha just kidding, I just got them as a running joke with my family and friends. I use the zombie apocalypse to buy new guns, you can never be too safe.

OT: I plan on buying those exact rugged ridge mirror relocation brackets today if the local supplier has them. If not I may put doors back on for a few days while I order them

#74,364 ·
I plan on buying those exact rugged ridge mirror relocation brackets today if the local supplier has them. If not I may put doors back on for a few days while I order them
Good plan. I put mine on, and they stay on. When I put my doors back on(rarely), I just swap the mirrors back to the doors. The brackets are far enough outta the way that nothing will touch them.

However, BE VERY CAREFUL REMOVING THE TORX SCREWS. They are painted in there, along with Loc-Tite. I got 3 out successfully only by hanging my 165lb @ss down on the ratchet. The 4th one stripped. So, I would stick a center punch in the head and give it a whack or two. See my antics here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/removing-stripped-screw-1354746/

#74,368 ·
Acuater pin went, left me stranded in the rain mad at my jeep for the moment and waiting for auto zone to call me to come pick my part up. Love starting my jeep with a screwdriver.
Mine went 2 days ago, I keep a couple spares around from the local pick and pull

#74,369 ·
jLowrey83 said:
Good plan. I put mine on, and they stay on. When I put my doors back on(rarely), I just swap the mirrors back to the doors. The brackets are far enough outta the way that nothing will touch them.

However, BE VERY CAREFUL REMOVING THE TORX SCREWS. They are painted in there, along with Loc-Tite. I got 3 out successfully only by hanging my 165lb @ss down on the ratchet. The 4th one stripped. So, I would stick a center punch in the head and give it a whack or two. See my antics here:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f46/removing-stripped-screw-1354746/
So I'm guessing you cannot see the mirrors from the new brackets with the doors on?

#74,370 ·
So I'm guessing you cannot see the mirrors from the new brackets with the doors on?
Correct. I was hopeful that I'd be able to, and just delete the mirror brackets on the doors. But with the mirrors moved forward onto the windshield, the doors hit them. If you tilt them out of the way of the door swing, you can't see a thing out of them. So I'm forced to do the mirror swap dance every time I put on or take off my doors.

#74,371 ·
Well I have no heat. I'm convinced that when we got the coolant system flushed last year all they did was fill up the bottle. I flushed the heater core 3 months later and it was all gummed up.

I'm going to take it to my good buddy and get him to flush it completely and put the correct anti freeze in there.

On a side note...is the ac compressor suppose to run when you have the defrost on?

#74,372 ·
jLowrey83 said:
Correct. I was hopeful that I'd be able to, and just delete the mirror brackets on the doors. But with the mirrors moved forward onto the windshield, the doors hit them. If you tilt them out of the way of the door swing, you can't see a thing out of them. So I'm forced to do the mirror swap dance every time I put on or take off my doors.
Thanks for the heads up. I was about to go buy them, but weather changes too quickly around here to have to deal with switching the mirrors out every time. This looks like a good project for that new industrial plasma cutter my dad picked up...and the sheet of diamond plate. Or just use the motorcycle mirror trick. Thanks again

#74,373 ·
BamaJeepman21 said:
Well I have no heat. I'm convinced that when we got the coolant system flushed last year all they did was fill up the bottle. I flushed the heater core 3 months later and it was all gummed up.

I'm going to take it to my good buddy and get him to flush it completely and put the correct anti freeze in there.

On a side note...is the ac compressor suppose to run when you have the defrost on?
Yes, it keeps the system operating properly and the air I think is a little drier coming through the AC system.

#74,380 ·
Mine went 2 days ago, I keep a couple spares around from the local pick and pull
Well I replaced the broken one and for some crazy reason I have to hold the wiring harness that attaches to the ignition switch up for the jeep to start.

This is making to crazy one day the jeep is fine and next wont start. The new pin did help but I dont think it was the root of my problem looks to be a bad harness? I have a 330 Mile trip to take in the morning.