Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your TJ today?

11M views 119K replies 9K participants last post by  OldJeepBum 
#1 ·
OK, I stole the idea from the YJ forum but it's a great idea so let this thread be an inspiration for all of us doing mods, maintenance, or repairs to our TJ's! :D

Personally, I installed my trusty Uniden CB into my new Rubicon. :thumbsup:

#73,941 ·
Took out my OPDA to check the gears and "spinning" looks worn but not terrible but going to be ordering a new one this week.

Also checked the air filter since its a new-to-me jeep as of a few weeks ago and noticed it had a foam piece glued on it:

I've been working on cars (I'm not an expert by any means, but know enough to get by) and have never seen that on an air filter... that would certainly restrict air flow and is not necessary correct?

I bought the jeep in St. Augustine, FL where you can drive on the beach so I'm assuming PO glued it on to prevent sand from getting in the engine. Any thoughts?
Mine never have thr foam

#73,949 ·
Thanks!:cheers2:

Very nice! More pics!!:2thumbsup:
Also just learned how to quote multiple posts. :laugh:
And we actually have a nice day here so I'm goin take the top/doors off and goin ride.

here is some pics, now I need to finish my savvy uca's, and currie springs along with some other parts. Rear fenders should be here anytime also, feels good to be finally putting my jeep together. :)

#73,953 ·
Richisinyoface said:
Finished installing my tube fenders
Like the hood vent panel, mine will be here in about a week.

dangerz said:
Found this today.

I'm new to the Jeep stuff. Can you guys let me know if that's bad? (I'm assuming it is)

I also found out that my swaybar keeps moving left/right, causing the end link bolt to grind on the frame. I've been hearing grinding noises since my last wheeling trip and I can see marks now where the bolt has been grinding against the frame. Not sure how to fix that either.. going to need to do some research.

edit: Found this guide to fix the swaybar issue. Still need to figure out what that oil looking stuff is.
Probably an axlel seal leak......

jLowrey83 said:
Took it down to Vilano for a benefit ride. Hung with Dice48, TrentYj & Simasel. Good times.
Looks like it was a good time. I wanted to go but I had to go to Louisiana for storm duty. There were quite a few in the dark. Gone for ten days, didn't get home till late Thursday, and had too much stuff to catch up on at home. :pout:

#73,954 ·
dangerz said:
Found this today.

I'm new to the Jeep stuff. Can you guys let me know if that's bad? (I'm assuming it is)

I also found out that my swaybar keeps moving left/right, causing the end link bolt to grind on the frame. I've been hearing grinding noises since my last wheeling trip and I can see marks now where the bolt has been grinding against the frame. Not sure how to fix that either.. going to need to do some research.

edit: Found this guide to fix the swaybar issue. Still need to figure out what that oil looking stuff is.
What exactly are you concerned with? The little bit of oil on the lower part of the knuckle?

Some bar clamps from mc mastercarr will do the trick for your sway bar issue. Might swap out the frame bushings while your at it. They are probably worn out and letting the bar slide. Quadratec sells cheap replacements and free shipping if you tell then you are part of the forum when you call in the order.

#73,955 ·
Anyone else amazed/skeptical that they used egg whites to fix a radiator leak on one car too far? They come up with some pretty cool stuff, but that may be too far to believe

OT: I drove mine today...very little, too much celebrating for my birthday last night so I spent most of my time on the couch today

#73,957 ·
Anyone else amazed/skeptical that they used egg whites to fix a radiator leak on one car too far? They come up with some pretty cool stuff, but that may be too far to believe
Nothing much unbelievable about that as look at some of the radiator additives and also have done something similar while camping and just a bad leaky rad. Mythbusters would confirm it. Pepper works too BTW until it can be replaced. Remember the "Show" and our boy driving, Hes supposed to be the hero type cause he has a hummer,,,LOL

#73,958 ·
chux72vette said:
Nothing much unbelievable about that as look at some of the radiator additives and also have done something similar while camping and just a bad leaky rad. Mythbusters would confirm it. Pepper works too BTW until it can be replaced. Remember the "Show" and our boy driving, Hes supposed to be the hero type cause he has a hummer,,,LOL
Haha good point, I would just worry that the rest of the egg would clog the hoses and lead to engine failure

#73,959 ·
Took out my OPDA to check the gears and "spinning" looks worn but not terrible but going to be ordering a new one this week.

Also checked the air filter since its a new-to-me jeep as of a few weeks ago and noticed it had a foam piece glued on it:

I've been working on cars (I'm not an expert by any means, but know enough to get by) and have never seen that on an air filter... that would certainly restrict air flow and is not necessary correct?

I bought the jeep in St. Augustine, FL where you can drive on the beach so I'm assuming PO glued it on to prevent sand from getting in the engine. Any thoughts?
Some factory and aftermarket airfilters come that way and it doesn't really restrict airflow. It helps keep the paper element from clogging. So it got bought that way new in a manufacturers box. If you feel the need to take it off go for it. Doesn't really hurt anything

#73,960 ·

The OEM air filters have the foam layer on them. Apparently you don't know enough to get by.