What did I do to my trans? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What did I do to my trans?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 10-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #1
1966cj5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

What did I do to my trans?

2005 tj, automatic 4.0......I jacked up my front right tire from rocker guard. Having a couple of people talking to me I was going to put the jeep into 4wd to keep axle from turning while taking lug nuts off and for whatever reason I cut the key on and put the trans into drive. Well I continued to jackup each corner after getting done and all 4 tires were on the ground I noticed that the left side of jeep was sitting 1 1/2" higher than the right. Went to drive it and it wont engage. Something seems bound up. I went back and jacked up each side and tried shifting but got nothing. Any ideas?

Unread 10-02-2010, 09:39 AM   #2
oakmckinley
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I am not quite understanding? You cut the key on??

I think you might have screwed something up in the differential, maybe with the axel. I would take the cover off to inspect.

Going forward its best to loosen the lugs when the tires are on the ground.
1964 Ford Fairlane 500
oakmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-02-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
1966cj5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakmckinley View Post
I am not quite understanding? You cut the key on??

I think you might have screwed something up in the differential, maybe with the axel. I would take the cover off to inspect.

Going forward its best to loosen the lugs when the tires are on the ground.
I had the tire off already, I was putting wheel spacers on. I turned the key on so I could move the trans out off park..stupid I know but like I said couple of people talking and had a brain fart there was ability no need for me to take it out of park. Now when I turn the jeep on and shift into driveI can just shift the selector up and down with no resistance and its not trying to engage at al l
Unread 10-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #4
otisdog
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Well it sounds like the cable is screwed up. There's a cable that runs from the shifter to the tranny. Check it out - look where it hooks to the tranny while somebody shifts it and see if it moves. There's a white bushing on there that breaks.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ge...g-help-761603/
jim
Unread 10-02-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
1966cj5
2005 TJ Wrangler 

That sounds like what it is, I'm working a 16 hr shift today so it will be tomorrow before I can crawl under there and look

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.