What is a CV shaft and why do I want one? - Page 9 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is a CV shaft and why do I want one?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #121
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin_N View Post
So when installing a MML, would it be best to adjust pinion also with adjustable uppers (which I will need later on anyway when installing the SYE) to get everything as much in line as possible?
no, just leave the arms alone for now. see if the MML fixes the vibes, if not, drop the t-case down with some washers. if you're one of the unlucky folks where none of that helps, you'll just have to do the SYE.

Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 10:33 PM   #122
FireMedic82
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Unlimited04 this is an awesome thread you put together. Very informative! Kudos to you sir!

I do have one thing that is leaving me confused and maybe I somehow over looked it, but here's my question. If the Rubicon's drive shaft slips within itself and has the fixed flange then why would I need to make any changes after a lift if the DC shaft also slips within itself? I think I may just found my answer.....is it only because of the double joints on the transfer case side? Also, you said that the Rubicon will most likely not need the DC, if not should I do a MML with a 2.5-3" lift first and start from there?
FireMedic82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 06:58 AM   #123
Unlimited04
Read tech links in my sig

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic82 View Post
If the Rubicon's drive shaft slips within itself and has the fixed flange then why would I need to make any changes after a lift if the DC shaft also slips within itself?
more suspension travel = more movement required of the driveshaft. DC shaft = more travel & movement capable than stock shaft.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #124
pcwolf
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Great write-up, thanks. I'll add my stupid question:

How exactly to get the axle to roll to set the pinion angle?
I understand the control arms set the angle, but don't the stock springs and shocks resist the change in angle?
Is it as simple as jacking the rear to take the weight off the tires then installing the adjustable control arms and cranking on the adjusting sleeve?

Man out standing in his field
o|||||||o
pcwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2013, 05:28 AM   #125
ATTJ
OllllllO

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Typically what I do is set my lower control arms where I need them to square the axle. The upper CAs are not connected at this point. Using an angle finder and hydraulic bottle jack I raise the pinion until it is directly inline with the DS. Then adjust my UCAs until the axle side bolts slide through by hand, then snug down. Next I pull the springs and cycle the axle looking for interference problems. Watch the axle on the gas tank skid and the shocks on the lower coil perches. If something hits you may need to readjust. If the shock contacts the spring perch the perch can either be notched or shock relocated. When everything clears torque all bolts and jam nuts.
Unless you relocate the upper coil perch the spring will develope a bow. The amount the axle was rotated will determine how severely the spring bows.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
ATTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:44 PM   #126
TexasChris
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Can anyone tell me if the above is a CV driveshaft? My buddy and I pulled this out of his front end but I have never seen a double cardan driveshaft (much less the SYE that would accompany it) in person so we would appreciate some input.

TexasChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 06:59 PM   #127
ATTJ
OllllllO

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yes that shaft has a double cardon (cv) joint. It's the joint with two ujoints.

Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads!
ATTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:12 PM   #128
TexasChris
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks AATJ. I wonder why his PO bought such a crappy drive shaft lol... that thing is a rust bucket and doesn't look near as pretty as the ones shown in this thread.

Does a SYE always complement a front CV drive shaft?
TexasChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #129
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post
Thanks AATJ. I wonder why his PO bought such a crappy drive shaft lol... that thing is a rust bucket and doesn't look near as pretty as the ones shown in this thread.

Transfer case front output is a fixed yoke not a slip yoke so nothing to eliminate. The "slip" section for the front is in the middle of that drive shaft.
Unread 01-15-2014, 07:16 PM   #130
Lazypitbull
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Nice
Lazypitbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 12:39 PM   #131
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasChris View Post

TJ's come stock with a front double cardon drive shaft. Probably the original which explains the rust. Still a good drive shaft though.
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:40 PM   #132
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbradUSMC View Post
TJ's come stock with a front double cardon drive shaft. Probably the original which explains the rust. Still a good drive shaft though.
Makes ya wonder why they just don't put one in the rear too.
But don't take my word for anything. I'm not a supporting member, have not posted enough to establish any credibility or filled out my profile correctly so apparently that makes me an idiot. So I've been told.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:59 PM   #133
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by geroux View Post
Makes ya wonder why they just don't put one in the rear too.
Because the TJ OEM NP231 comes with a slip yoke rear driveshaft output, it was cost effective...
Unread 01-17-2014, 11:51 PM   #134
Maverickxeo
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead View Post
Because the TJ OEM NP231 comes with a slip yoke rear driveshaft output, it was cost effective...
Is it really cheaper though? I mean, a replacement tailhousing and mainshaft is the same as a SYE kit; and the driveshaft is similarly priced isnt it?
Maverickxeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2014, 12:07 AM   #135
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverickxeo View Post
Is it really cheaper though? I mean, a replacement tailhousing and mainshaft is the same as a SYE kit; and the driveshaft is similarly priced isnt it?
The NP231 used in multiple vehicles was cost effective. Modifying it for the TJ to eliminate the TC slip yoke would have driven the production and logistic cost up...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.