What is a CV shaft and why do I want one? - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is a CV shaft and why do I want one?

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Currie RockJock Products!!This is a shout out to all INTERNATIONAL Customers! Yes we

Unread 03-23-2012, 01:18 PM   #106
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
When done your way do you cycle the axle around and take multiple different measurements? Or do you take one measurement at ride height and use it? The latter I am sure. And how is that different than measuring at ride height now and doing the math?
You still are not understanding what I have been saying about the travel of the axle but that is okay. As you have pointed out, with most TW shafts there is enough travel built in that you can get away with out actually cycling the suspension and measuring or accounting for the axle's path of travel.

Quote:
The driveshaft will be longer than it should when everything is right for sure. The question is will it be too long to run temporarily.

And you'll note that I did tell him that adjustable arms would have to be done with it.
I don't disagree with anything there and you may have missed it. His post stated that hes going with long arms. Since these won't be installed prior to the lift he won't be able to run the DC driveshaft anyways so the rest of this is irrelevant.

rchase559 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #107
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
You still are not understanding what I have been saying about the travel of the axle but that is okay. As you have pointed out, with most TW shafts there is enough travel built in that you can get away with out actually cycling the suspension and measuring or accounting for the axle's path of travel.
No, I understand fully how a driveshaft extends and compresses as the axle moves. You are the one trying to make the length of the shaft issue harder than it is. Think about my last question. If he waits and does the lift and then measures he's only going to measure it at static ride height. And the only difference at static ride height is the amount of the lift and what that mathematically means to driveshaft length. Where the drive shaft is at stuff or flex or whatever isn't taken into account either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
I don't disagree with anything there and you may have missed it. His post stated that hes going with long arms. Since these won't be installed prior to the lift he won't be able to run the DC driveshaft anyways so the rest of this is irrelevant.
You are right I didn't focus on the long arm part because in another thread he was telling us all off about how smart he was and could do a 6" short arm even though everyone universally said it was a bad idea. Should have noted that he has changed his tune a bit.
Unread 03-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #108
mogo116
2013 JK Wrangler 

Great thread
mogo116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2012, 03:26 PM   #109
-sean-
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I can not believe that I never read this thread! The hours that I could have saved explaining this...

Great job Mike, excellent write up.
Unread 06-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #110
buckeyedolfan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I found this on EBAY and was wondering if this would work......CV shaft without a SYE?????
Has anyone seen this or tried this on a jeep? Would it solve VIBES from a lift and an 8.8 swap?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/JEEP-CV-DRIV...sories&vxp=mtr
buckeyedolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:02 PM   #111
tombstn
2002 TJ Wrangler 

question

I own a 2002 TJ and had it lifted to 4' with a transfer case drop when I first purchased it, I now have 36,000 miles and started having a vibration recently. It is only on acceleration or deacceleration, if I put it in neautral or press in the clutch, it goes away. I had a mechanic look at it who said I had play in the differential and that it probably needs to be adjusted to get rid of the vibration. Is this possible or should I look into getting a cardan shaft? I had no problems prior to this.
tombstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 01:37 PM   #112
Freeman6912
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I have an 03 tj se with the 2.4l 5 speed... and i just put the rough country 4 inch lift on it.... gt tue accel and decel. Vibes... the kit came ith lower control armz no adjustable.. i was wondering if i could put upper rear control arms on with the stock drive shaft and slip yoke and adjust tye pinion angle up so that the pinion angle amd ds angle were the same...is this possible to do and work or do i have to to a sye and a dc ds
Freeman6912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #113
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman6912 View Post
I have an 03 tj se with the 2.4l 5 speed... and i just put the rough country 4 inch lift on it.... gt tue accel and decel. Vibes... the kit came ith lower control armz no adjustable.. i was wondering if i could put upper rear control arms on with the stock drive shaft and slip yoke and adjust tye pinion angle up so that the pinion angle amd ds angle were the same...is this possible to do and work or do i have to to a sye and a dc ds
With stock shaft you do not want pinion and ds angle the same. That is the orientation when you go do double cardan driveshaft. With stock shaft you want pinion parallel with TC output. Yes, you can use adjustable rear uppers to try to get that, but honestly with 4" of lift you should have been planning on the SYE/double cardan shaft. You will likely have to use TC drop until you are prepared to do that.
Unread 03-04-2013, 09:42 PM   #114
newman_buddy
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Great Write up.
Yellow Jeep Club - #34
LJ Owners - #34

2006 6,742 Unlimited Rubicon's made
newman_buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #115
buck_89
2002 TJ Wrangler 

help

hey not sure if i have a fixed flange or slip yoke ill have to look, i have an 02 tj sahara with i believe a d44 in the rear. i do see the big balancer type thing coming out of the tcase so im wondering if i can just put a dc drive shaft without doing the sye. i put a 4 inch lift on and did the tcase drop but im still noticing a pretty serious vibation usually under load only. its smoother at 55 then 40 mph. also can you put a dc driveshaft on with the tcase drop? would that help/hurt? any help would be great its my first rig and theres only 53k orginal mile so im planning to put some money into it.
buck_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2013, 08:04 AM   #116
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck_89 View Post
hey not sure if i have a fixed flange or slip yoke ill have to look, i have an 02 tj sahara with i believe a d44 in the rear. i do see the big balancer type thing coming out of the tcase so im wondering if i can just put a dc drive shaft without doing the sye. i put a 4 inch lift on and did the tcase drop but im still noticing a pretty serious vibation usually under load only. its smoother at 55 then 40 mph. also can you put a dc driveshaft on with the tcase drop? would that help/hurt? any help would be great its my first rig and theres only 53k orginal mile so im planning to put some money into it.
You have a slip yoke. IIRC there are one or two vendors out there that make double cardan shafts that retain the slip yoke at the TC. I don't think I've ever seen anybody running one though. If you go to the double cardan driveshaft then you should be able to remove the TC drop. Part of the point.
Unread 03-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #117
buck_89
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
You have a slip yoke. IIRC there are one or two vendors out there that make double cardan shafts that retain the slip yoke at the TC. I don't think I've ever seen anybody running one though. If you go to the double cardan driveshaft then you should be able to remove the TC drop. Part of the point.

so if i were to do the sye and dc shaft how would i angle the rear axle to get the pinion and shaft angle in the same line? adjustable upper control arms? lowers to possibly? would i have to do anything to the spring mounts on the axle?
buck_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2013, 03:50 PM   #118
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by buck_89 View Post
so if i were to do the sye and dc shaft how would i angle the rear axle to get the pinion and shaft angle in the same line? adjustable upper control arms? lowers to possibly? would i have to do anything to the spring mounts on the axle?
Did you go back and read the original posts in this thread? They explain it all. Many do it with just the uppers. That can kind of work for some people. Best to use uppers and lowers. And yes shock contact with the spring mount is very common although easily fixed.
Unread 03-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #119
buckeyedolfan
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I got mine in with just uppers.
buckeyedolfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #120
Martin_N
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Great thread. I have absolutely no technical background so learning along the way, and these kind of threads give clear explanation and help me to understand how it all works (and really enjoy learning)

I just finished installing a 2.5 inch OME lift and have vibrations now. In time I want a SYE + CV since this is best fix/since I also want to install a tummy tuck in the future and think this will be the only way then to stay clear of vibrations, but for now I'm kinda low on funds and lookng for a cheaper solution which can do the job for 1 or 2 years.

Hoping a MML will do the trick. But after reading more about adjusting the pinion angle, I'm wondering if this would be best to do as well when using a MML? As I understand it now, a MML only fixes the angle at the transfer case end of the shaft, but not at the axle end of the shaft (sorry for the bad English, but guess it's clear what I mean). Seems to me you're fixing the issue at only 1 end of the shaft then?

So when installing a MML, would it be best to adjust pinion also with adjustable uppers (which I will need later on anyway when installing the SYE) to get everything as much in line as possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
More on Pinion Angle Alignment

So what about a transfer case drop or motor mount lift? Will that fix my driveline vibrations?
The answer is maybe...

The function of a transfer case drop is to make the output shaft of the transfer case parallel to the input shaft of the pinion - after a lift has been installed and the pinion sits further away from the frame. The pinion centerline and the output shaft centerline must be parallel for single cardan shafts with a slip yoke. A MML (motor mount lift) also functions to align the output shaft with the pinion centerline.

Thanks,
Martin
Martin_N is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.