What is a CV shaft and why do I want one? - Page 7 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is a CV shaft and why do I want one?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 04-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #91
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by awalp View Post
I understand, and see that the topic of when a rear driveshaft is required.....

but not, when a front driveshaft is required?

I'm trying to find out whether or not I need to change the front driveshaft on my Rubicon.

I'll have somewhere between 4-5" of lift at the transmission/transfer-case (2" TT Lift + 2" Suspension lift).
-- I believe I need a new rear driveshaft, as it could end up measuring 5" or a partial inch more...
Getting a 2"-6" Lifted Jeep Tom Woods Rear Driveshaft...

At that point, does the front driveshaft need addressed?
-- ~4-5.25" lift... min 2" TT Lift + min 2" Suspension lift
(min = 2 sometimes is 2.5 with the suspension, and 2 could be 2.75 with the Tummy Tuck)

Even though the front is a double driveshaft, are the angles and length going to become an issue?
Since the front shaft is a CV shaft the angles shouldn't be a problem as long as you adjust pinion. As it relates to length you could always take the boot off and see how much spline engagement you have but most people with your setup don't replace front shaft.

Why are you getting a 2" - 6" shaft? Give Tom Wood your measurements and have them build you one that is the right length.

Unread 10-06-2011, 01:20 PM   #92
NAlbertaTJ
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I have what I would describe more as a shudder than vibes. it only shows up when I start off from a stop (red light, stop sign etc) and after I get rolling ( like 10 km/h) it is completely gone. Any ideas?

I have an 05 sport, D44 in the rear, 3" Zone kit with TC drop (MML is on the way). I have also just ordered a complete set of Savvy CA's.
NAlbertaTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #93
TJRHD
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome!
Unread 11-15-2011, 07:37 AM   #94
JCJeep97
2000 TJ Wrangler 

What a great thread!
Unread 03-12-2012, 10:17 PM   #95
laddie
2003 TJ Wrangler 

[QUOTE=Unlimited04;7903196]More on Pinion Angle Alignment

So what about a transfer case drop or motor mount lift? Will that fix my driveline vibrations?
The answer is maybe...

The function of a transfer case drop is to make the output shaft of the transfer case parallel to the input shaft of the pinion - after a lift has been installed and the pinion sits further away from the frame. The pinion centerline and the output shaft centerline must be parallel for single cardan shafts with a slip yoke. A MML (motor mount lift) also functions to align the output shaft with the pinion centerline.

Here's a good thread describing one person's struggle with a t-case drop and pinion angle alignment:
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f5/how-much-is-too-much-stock-driveshaft-angle-121998.html

[QUOTE=Unlimited04;7903196]

First, great job. thanks for sharing this info.

Looking at this drawing it seems that a transfer case drop does a better job of keeping the output shaft and pinion centerlines parallel. A MML points the output shaft toward the pinion but seems to me would cause the centerlines to move away from parallel. I know the MML has the advantage of not reducing ground clearance and I thought it was also more effective than the t-case drop but now I am not sure. Any thoughts on this?

Thinking about this some more.....the t-case drop also changes the angle because the front of the motor stays put. I guess I have a new question - Does a 1" MML and 1" t-case drop result in the same change in the angle of the t-case output shaft?
laddie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:21 PM   #96
bmxboy809
1999 TJ Wrangler 

My question is can I install a SYE and a DC shaft on a stock setup?

the reason I ask is that I am in the process of acquiring all of my lift components and tires ect. It is already going to be a big project to install the lift kit and regear the axels fron the stock 3.07 gears to 4.88. If possible I would like to install the SYE and DC shaft ahead of time so once the lift and gears are on I can drive it right away. It would mean less time with it apart in the garage all at once.

anybody know if it will work?
Unread 03-22-2012, 05:27 PM   #97
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmxboy809 View Post

the reason I ask is that I am in the process of acquiring all of my lift components and tires ect. It is already going to be a big project to install the lift kit and regear the axels fron the stock 3.07 gears to 4.88. If possible I would like to install the SYE and DC shaft ahead of time so once the lift and gears are on I can drive it right away. It would mean less time with it apart in the garage all at once.

SYE, DC shaft and adjustable rear control arms go together as a package and can be done at stock height. The rest of your lift can be done separately, although it will mean having to reorient your pinion as you add the lift.
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:35 PM   #98
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:

How do you plan on measuring for driveshaft length without the SYE and taller springs in?

Also you still can drive around without the rear driveshaft in. Put it in 4H and drive around until you order and receive the new rear DS
rchase559 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-22-2012, 07:41 PM   #99
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchase559 View Post
How do you plan on measuring for driveshaft length without the SYE and taller springs in?
If he knows what lift he is putting in then its simple math for him to determine what length driveshaft to buy. As you point out he can drive around on just the front shaft if he is worried about bottoming out the longer shaft till the lift goes in.
Unread 03-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #100
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
If he knows what lift he is putting in then its simple math for him to determine what length driveshaft to buy. As you point out he can drive around on just the front shaft if he is worried about bottoming out the longer shaft till the lift goes in.
I just have a problem with the whole buying the drive shaft and SYE at the same time in addition to before putting on the 5.5" lift he wanted in his other thread. Seems like quite a bit of guess work when it is much easier to just wait until the lift and SYE are in.
Unread 03-23-2012, 09:27 AM   #101
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I just have a problem with the whole buying the drive shaft and SYE at the same time in addition to before putting on the 5.5" lift he wanted in his other thread. Seems like quite a bit of guess work when it is much easier to just wait until the lift and SYE are in.
What guess work is involved? If you know current measurements and you know how much you are lifting it then it is simple math.
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:26 PM   #102
bmxboy809
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have a completely stock suspension. I am saving up for all the rest of the parts so It will be a while before I can install everything. Any smaller project I can do now and still drive the jeep before it has to be apart for multiple weekends would be nice. I was just curious if I could make it happen this way. I will be installing a 6" Long arm lift with adjustable upper and lower CAs. So the new drive shaft would just be too long to install ahead of time right?
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:42 PM   #103
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have a completely stock suspension. I am saving up for all the rest of the parts so It will be a while before I can install everything. Any smaller project I can do now and still drive the jeep before it has to be apart for multiple weekends would be nice. I was just curious if I could make it happen this way. I will be installing a 6" Long arm lift with adjustable upper and lower CAs. So the new drive shaft would just be too long to install ahead of time right?
Well, how much longer do you think the driveshaft gets from the lift? Probably less than you think. Take your measurements now and do the math. A TW "X" shaft with extended splines gives you a bit more flexibility to have a shaft that temporarily isn't exactly right. Or as previously posted you can still do the SYE and adjustable arms and just drive on front shaft only for awhile.
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #104
rchase559
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
What guess work is involved? If you know current measurements and you know how much you are lifting it then it is simple math.
We've been through this before. The axle does not travel strictly up and down and there is more to it than just drawing a right triangle and adding the lift height to one of the legs.

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the question being asked but it seems like he wants to order and install the SYE and DC driveshaft before installing the lift. Since you should put the SYE in and then measure for your driveshaft length wouldn't it be easier just to throw the SYE in, put the lift on and measure for driveshaft length. Either way he would be waiting to put the DC driveshaft in until after the lift is finished since he needs adjustable arms and he currently does not have them.

Quote:
I would venture to say that yes the driveshaft would be too long. It comes down to more than that though. You do not currently have the required adjustable arms to correctly set the pinion angle and shouldn't be putting the DC driveshaft in until you do.
Unread 03-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #105
biffgnar
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
We've been through this before. The axle does not travel strictly up and down and there is more to it than just drawing a right triangle and adding the lift height to one of the legs.

Maybe I'm completely misunderstanding the question being asked but it seems like he wants to order and install the SYE and DC driveshaft before installing the lift. Since you should put the SYE in and then measure for your driveshaft length wouldn't it be easier just to throw the SYE in, put the lift on and measure for driveshaft length. Either way he would be waiting to put the DC driveshaft in until after the lift is finished since he needs adjustable arms and he currently does not have them.
When done your way do you cycle the axle around and take multiple different measurements? Or do you take one measurement at ride height and use it? The latter I am sure. And how is that different than measuring at ride height now and doing the math?

Quote:
I would venture to say that yes the driveshaft would be too long. It comes down to more than that though. You do not currently have the required adjustable arms to correctly set the pinion angle and shouldn't be putting the DC driveshaft in until you do.
The driveshaft will be longer than it should when everything is right for sure. The question is will it be too long to run temporarily.

And you'll note that I did tell him that adjustable arms would have to be done with it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.