What could i do to beef up my exhaust sound? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What could i do to beef up my exhaust sound?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto Un

Unread 09-03-2010, 01:10 PM   #16
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

get a dynomax mandrel bent tailpipe. I had a header high flow cat and a super 40 with a stock tailpipe and going to the mandrel bent woke up the exhaust note big time even my old man commented on how good it sounded. we got deal on the dynomax super turbo and tailpipe for his xj and it has a nice mellow sound to it without the volume of the flowmaster. I just put some thrush welded (flowmaster knock offs) on my truck and have been really impressed with the sound for half the cost of a flowmaster. If I was gonna do another exhaust on a 4.0 jeep id probably go with the thrush welded muffler and the dynomax mandrel bent tailpipe.

93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
BobA
2001 TJ Wrangler 

If the cat is removed the flowmaster does sound like a v8.

77 DJ5
Soon to be streetrod
BobA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 02:35 PM   #18
2003X
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobA View Post
If the cat is removed the flowmaster does sound like a v8.
Just change the cat like I did not keep the check engine light from going on, and to pass inspection.
The high flow cat I added made it sound the way it does.
2003X is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 03:09 PM   #19
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Here's mine recorded on a POS camera.

I revved it a little too much around the 20-24 second mark and the camera could not keep up with the sound.

YouTube - TJ 4.7L V8 FM40 exhaust.mov
Wheelin98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #20
danielbuck
Uncle Buck

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILLY348 View Post
Anything less then 8 cylinders will never ever sound good.
I wouldn't say anything less than 8 cylinders will "never sound good", it will probably never sound like a V8, but that doesn't mean it can't sound good I've heard some good 6 cylinders before, don't sound like V8's, but they sound pretty good
Unread 09-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #21
ArrizX
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Definitely a Flowmastser 50, or a long 3" glasspack.
ArrizX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 05:44 PM   #22
Jakemd98
Choosy moms choose jeep.

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Exhaust systems on our jeeps are a complete waste of money. If you want a mean sound.. get a V8. Anything less then 8 cylinders will never ever sound good. I just put a flow master original 40 on.. and thats basically as good as its going to get. Dont waste the money on a magna flow or banks.. that money could be spent much better else where
i disagree 100%. I love my Banks exhaust... i honestly would do it all again too. You just have to decide if it is worth the money to you. Performance gains were awesome as well. Granted performance to dollar ratio sucks, it still added a pretty good kick to my jeep.

Over all even after i add up the cost of my exhaust set-up ($750 range), the only thing i would possibly change is just to get the banks muffler and have a local exhaust shop do the tail pipe.

97 Jeep Wrangler
4.0, 5 speed AX-15, D44 & Ford 8.8 w/Detroit - 4.88, NP-231, OME 2.5" coils w/1.25" spacers on front, 1.25" JKS BL, 35X12.50R15 KM2 on 15x8 Eagle alloys, Banks Header, Banks Monster Exhaust, Brown Dog MML, Rhino Liner, Tuffy Glove Box, AtoZ Rockers, Optima Red Top Battery.

1998 GMC Yukon

Wilmington weekly 4x4 meet
Jakemd98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:18 PM   #23
IAmAmerican
1999 TJ Wrangler 

These are some awesome ideas. Thanks guys.
IAmAmerican is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:32 PM   #24
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

One of the shop teachers at my school said that he used to have a shutter value right befor his cat. Hooked up to a wire running into the cab. So when he wanted to hear the exhaust he just pulled the cord, which opened the value, making it sound like open headers. best of both worlds. no noise to lots of noise
Cherokee-at-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:37 PM   #25
pfifer
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I personally love the sound of my Edelbrock Header with the Magnoflow exhaust system, very nice deep sound, loud when laying on the gas, but "quiet" when cruising. Will post up a video tomorrow for you. And the inline 6 may never be as loud as a v8, but it is still a good sized engine that puts off a nice sound.
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:39 PM   #26
IAmAmerican
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee-at-16 View Post
One of the shop teachers at my school said that he used to have a shutter value right befor his cat. Hooked up to a wire running into the cab. So when he wanted to hear the exhaust he just pulled the cord, which opened the value, making it sound like open headers. best of both worlds. no noise to lots of noise
yeah i've heard about that. thats a good idea
Unread 09-03-2010, 06:46 PM   #27
VanBCguy
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

You say you have a stock exhaust. If you want a simple add-on to beef up the sound, add what I used to have. A Magnaflow weld-on tip. Here's the link:

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...e=main&id=8834

Product #35173 if the hyperlink doesn't work (it's buggered up before). That tip will deepen in a very short time and provide a very nice sounding rig, even on a stock exhaust.
VanBCguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:23 PM   #28
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Exhaust systems on our jeeps are a complete waste of money. If you want a mean sound.. get a V8. Anything less then 8 cylinders will never ever sound good. I just put a flow master original 40 on.. and thats basically as good as its going to get. Dont waste the money on a magna flow or banks.. that money could be spent much better else where
Might be on your stocker!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2010, 08:49 PM   #29
flatlander757
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Here are a few exhaust clips of my Jeep with the 3rd cat removed(only the one over the belly skid) and with some small "mystery" muffler that was cheapest at the local Meineke:

YouTube - Tony on Choker Hill 2.3gp

YouTube - Tony on Choker Hill.3gp

This is a longer one, but if you have time, there are a few times where I get on it for a few seconds at a time:

YouTube - Tony on Juggernaut.3gp

Here is a video at idle when I first got the exhaust put on... ignore the wife being mad because I had to get video and she was hungry

And here's taking it close to/at WOT through first and second gear:

No idea what the muffler itself is... there is no name brand stamped on it(so not Flowmaster), and the dimensions don't match anything that I can find online:

I got it from the local Meineke muffler shop when I had the 2.5" exhaust routed from the oil pan area on back... The cats by the header are still there so no CELs or anything... stock intake and everything else.

Hope this helped

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 Sport
Being able to make vroom vroom noises in Tonys Jeep was the highlight of my life.
Currently Jeepless.
flatlander757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-04-2010, 08:37 PM   #30
IAmAmerican
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Cool, thanks. That's a pretty sick jeep!

Tags
banks , exhaust , flowmaster , magnaflow , muffler

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.