What Coolant To Use - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What Coolant To Use

LOCKERS!!!! - ARB, Auburn, Detroit, Eaton, OX, Spartan, YuRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!

Unread 08-26-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
Trendsetter75
2010 JK Wrangler 

What Coolant To Use

I want to change the coolant in my 05 Wrangler, and I wanted to know what kind of antifreeze coolant should I use. I pretty much just want to buy the jug and dump it in without mixing anything. Also how much coolant do I need to fill it up after its been drained?

Unread 08-26-2011, 03:22 PM   #2
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Zerox G-05.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
angelo2975

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75 View Post
I want to change the coolant in my 05 Wrangler, and I wanted to know what kind of antifreeze coolant should I use. I pretty much just want to buy the jug and dump it in without mixing anything. Also how much coolant do I need to fill it up after its been drained?
Factory Recommend Ethylene Glycol (long life coolant) Part # 5011764AB (AKA THE PINK STUFF)
angelo2975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:00 PM   #4
flying_bosun
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris142
Zerox G-05.
This is Mopar approved HOAT coolant and is chemically identical to dealer supplied super expensive stuff.
[URL="http://www.grimmjeeper.com/gears.html"][COLOR="Red"][SIZE="3"]Gear-Calculator[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.stu-offroad.com/siteindex.asp"][COLOR="White"][SIZE="3"]Stu Can Help You[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.berrysprinter.com/jeepparts.php"][COLOR="Blue"][SIZE="3"]Part Names and Numbers[/SIZE][/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.wholesalemopar.com/"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="Red"]Dealer Supplied Parts and ask for "Jeep Club" Prices[/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]

[QUOTE=Ron Paul]“Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.”
― Ron Paul[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][SIZE="5"]"Did [I]you[/I] exchange your walk-on part in the war for a lead role in a cage?"[/SIZE][/CENTER]
flying_bosun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:11 PM   #5
jbjarko
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo2975

Factory Recommend Ethylene Glycol (long life coolant) Part # 5011764AB (AKA THE PINK STUFF)
That's a very old number. The newest number is 68049953AA.

Ans yes the zerex is identical.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using JeepForum
jbjarko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:12 PM   #6
jbjarko
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbjarko

That's a very old number. The newest number is 68049953AA.

Ans yes the zerex is identical.

Whoops. Its AB level part now. Not an AA.

jbjarko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #7
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Yep Zerex is what I would use but, its hard to find the 50/50 premix ready to use in most stores that I have found. Personally, I would just buy you two gallons pour half of one of your gallons then add distilled water to it and do the same for the other one as well and you will have the best 50/50 you can get. Distilled water is better than just DI water anyways. No metals and no minerals. The only thing corrosive is the oxygen which should not be a problem for you mixed with a good concentration of coolant.
unlimitedlj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Whataever you do don't go to Jeep to get it you will pay out the *** for it plus 10% of its recycled so no telling what the hell your getting O and rosey red color is for girls lol. I rememeber it use to be orange but, Chrysler can't leave well enough alone.
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:55 PM   #9
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendsetter75
I use ELC extended life coolant in everything I own. It's designed for hundreds of thousands of miles of use in a diesel engine. It has no silica in it so it doesn't fluid hone the internals of the coolant system over time, greatly increasing the life of things like the thermostat and water pump. I don't care what brand or type you use, if it's not ELC (always red, though some non ELC coolants are too), it has silica in it.
Unread 08-26-2011, 04:58 PM   #10
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Man I would use HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) using the wrong fluid is just asking for problems down the road. Trust me I have been there done that with Prestone all makes all models and after a radiator and water pump all I can say its there's no such thing as universal coolant. Its to easy to use the right coolant to begin with.
Unread 08-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #11
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by unlimitedlj
Man I would use HOAT (Hybrid Organic Additive Technology) using the wrong fluid is just asking for problems down the road. Trust me I have been there done that with Prestone all makes all models and after a radiator and water pump all I can say its there's no such thing as universal coolant. Its to easy to use the right coolant to begin with.
Not to be rude but you do not have a clue what you are talking about.

Just because it came in the vehicle from the factory doesn't make it the best or even the right anti-freeze.

As Ford about putting their crappy gold coolant in the 6.0 and the chain reaction that led to millions of dollars of warranty repair and legal fees from a lawsuit. They took a killer International engine design, and jacked it ALL up just by putting their coolant in it.

ELC coolant is perfectly safe in any clean system.
Unread 08-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #12
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Maybe so buddy but, HOAT is very good coolant my system is super clean. I even changed my 98 over to it after flushing it out really good with distilled water for about a month. I noticed the water pump stays cleaner and so does the block too using it. I don't care for Chrysler much but, I do feel they did there homework on this one as well as Ford as I have not heard of any body I know with a Ford having problems. I can't speak for Diesel's but, can for cars and there light trucks.
Unread 08-27-2011, 06:52 AM   #13
unlimitedlj
2005 LJ Wrangler 

One more thing as well I really feel the issue with the G-05 or HOAT in the diesel was simply a design flaw just like the OPDA on 05 and 06 Jeeps are. People want to blame the fluid or oil but, fail to realize it could just be a bad design or a bad lot of parts. I'm a perfect example I run regular oil in mine and have 87k with no OPDA problems whatsoever. If it was the oil causing this I would already have an issue. I think isolated problems get blown out of the water with one or two major casses.
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:19 AM   #14
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Maybe so buddy but, HOAT is very good coolant my system is super clean. I even changed my 98 over to it after flushing it out really good with distilled water for about a month. I noticed the water pump stays cleaner and so does the block too using it. I don't care for Chrysler much but, I do feel they did there homework on this one as well as Ford as I have not heard of any body I know with a Ford having problems. I can't speak for Diesel's but, can for cars and there light trucks.
The cleanliness is only one factor. Havent you even noticed how 4.0s eat water pumps, an thermostats, and easily develop radiator leaks? Every thermostat I have pulled on any 4.0 with cooling issues, is usually beginning to just disintegrate. It's the silica in the coolant. It's basically sandblasts the inside of the system as it flows. As far as cooling properties go, it's just fine for 50-60k miles.
Unread 08-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #15
Heath
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
One more thing as well I really feel the issue with the G-05 or HOAT in the diesel was simply a design flaw just like the OPDA on 05 and 06 Jeeps are. People want to blame the fluid or oil but, fail to realize it could just be a bad design or a bad lot of parts. I'm a perfect example I run regular oil in mine and have 87k with no OPDA problems whatsoever. If it was the oil causing this I would already have an issue. I think isolated problems get blown out of the water with one or two major casses.
Ford had major problems with the EGR coolers on the 6.0 trucks because they ran their coolant in them instead of the ELC that International did the testing with, and recommended. The coolant flow necked down and increased in velocity inside the cooler, and it sandblasted the wall between the recycled exhaust and the coolant so thin, that it would eventually seep through. Coolant would get into the EGR gasses and flow into the intake, and into the combustion chamber, then under boost the motor couldn't take trying to compress the extra liquid in the cylinder and they would stretch the head bolts and blow a gasket.

Ford tried to blame International for the head bolts, and they lost.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.