What is the best 4 in long arm for the money? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is the best 4 in long arm for the money?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-16-2010, 05:45 PM   #16
wranglerWestLA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I already did some work on this Jeep and spent $$$
I simply think that it is not worth it to change axles...dana 44 front and rear on my 97 TJ.
and I read and heard than dana 30 and dana 35 don t do good with 35s.

I went offroading last week in gold mountain trail in Big Bear and Jeep did very well.

Now I wanted to lift it a little more and I thought that a long arm would be a good choice.
This is why I asked you guys suggestions/ideas

Last edited by wranglerWestLA; 07-16-2010 at 09:00 PM..
wranglerWestLA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:13 PM   #17
RubiOR
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Asking from a position of ignorance... Do most non-triangulated long-arm setups use radius arms or is it common to use short uppers in the factory brackets with long lowers?
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:30 PM   #18
Knuts
2003 TJ Wrangler 

You are going to get 1000 different answers from a thousand differnt jeep owners. What works best for one guy may not be best for the next. A year ago I wouldn't have even considered putting a rough country lift under my jeep but last spring my budget for upgrades was lacking and I decided to go with them. I am really pleased with the out come. For $1400 there really isn't another choice out there that I would consider (short or long arm). The best thing to do is try and find someone who wheels about the same as you, has a jeep that is similar to the direction you would go with and then ask their advise of what they like and dislike about their set-up. From friends experiences, there was no way that i was going to settle with a short arm kit for the simple reason that if you decide to put bigger tires under your jeep you will be limited by that kit. I know lots of people who ran 35" tires on their YJs and never had axle issues. It always comes down to controling your right foot.
Knuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2010, 06:43 PM   #19
UTWeezul
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by never monday View Post
I agree, swap out the axles and make it unique instead of another rubiclone
HP30 and 8.8 w/ lockers
UTWeezul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2010, 08:08 AM   #20
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I would suggest that you wheel your current set up a few more times before you make any changes. If you have only been on one real trip, you still have a lot to learn about your vehicle. Did you getting stuck because you were running lines that required larger tires? Did you get high centered? Did you bottom out in mud holes? Did you even get stuck on your trip?

The real question is why do you want to upgrade? Where do you need to improve your Jeep. Maybe you had too much tire spin and you need to lock your front axle. Maybe you did not lower your air pressure and were lossing traction on rock. I am guessing you are like me and just want bigger and not sure what your limiting factors are on your current set up.
Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
tj , wrangler , long arm , la , lift , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.