What is the best 4 in long arm for the money? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is the best 4 in long arm for the money?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-16-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
wranglerWestLA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

What is the best 4 in long arm for the money?

Ok so here we go.

In the picture you see how my Jeep looks right now.

I am running 33 tires but I would like to have a little bit more of ground clearance.
I am looking to buy a suspension lift with long arms.
4.5 inches maybe?

I do not think I will never run 35s since my TJ is a 4banger and I have Dana 30 in the front and Dana 35 in the rear.

The day I will decide to go bigger, I will sell my Jeep and buy a Rubicon.

What is the best long arm lift for the money?
I do not want to spend 4k for it.

but the main question, do I need a long arm lift or will I be fine with short arm since I doubt I will upgrade to 35 in the future?

Comments/ideas/suggestions are, as usual, appreciated.

Thanks,

Toni

smallersizejeep.jpg  
wranglerWestLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Long arm vs. short arm depends on what kind of wheeling you do and how much you want to spend. You don't NEED a long arm to run 33's.

Personally, I run a Rock Krawler 4" X-Factor long arm suspension lift. The parts are top quality, the suspension works very well, flexes like mad and rides/handles like a dream on the road. In my opinion, it is an excellent value for the money spent.

Do a search, you will see plenty of opinions about all the other lift kits out there. Just try to educate yourself on what is what and compare apples to apples as much as possible. Everyone has something good and bad to say about every brand. Like I said, I chose Rock Krawler because I feel it is an excellent value for the money and if I were to do it all over again, it would be very hard for me to choose something different.
Unread 07-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #3
wranglerWestLA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Thank you Elwood.

I know that I do not need a long arm to run 33 but I feel that long arm would give me more flexibility and some other advantages.
I will check the one you suggested right now.
Unread 07-16-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Tyler99TJ
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Why do you want a long arm lift? I would not want a long arm lift If I was only running 33's because they hang lower than a short arms lift and can get caught up on more obstacles.
Tyler99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
SugarBear
1969 CJ5 

Temporary thread hijack:

Elwood, this may sound kind of noobish, but how can I join a black jeep club?
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
jeepinmichguy_
I haz ah Geep

2003 TJ Wrangler 

ahhhhhhhhhhhh, turdbirds!, may i suggest new tires before a long arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
Jeepinmichguy is a jerk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
How about this, if you had the Jeep Spirit, you wouldn't abuse the rest of us trying to enjoy a nice day out wheeling by bringing your brokeass broken down junkyard crap out to play where it can't handle it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepForum123 View Post
you all have nice rigs, stop being f****** a**holes.
jeepinmichguy_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:07 PM   #7
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I looked at long arm kits a little lately since I got a TJ and Rough county seems to be the cheapest. Don't know if it's the "best for the money", but not a bad price ($1400) for a 4" LA kit compared to the other options.

Just remember that you have to cut some of the control arm mounts off the frame, so it's not easy to return to short arm or stock configuration if you ever wanted to.
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #8
wranglerWestLA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

At Jeepinmichguy:
I am happy with my tires.

To the others:
Long arm it is not mandatory...I just thought that it was a better choice.
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:19 PM   #9
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

You are huh?

You want more clearance for your tires? run tubes and ditch those ugly 6 inch flares.

FWIW ground clearance is mostly gained by bigger tires, lift only helps fit the bigger tires. That's my understanding anyway.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:22 PM   #10
wranglerWestLA
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I do not know about Maryland but in CA your tires need to be covered by "those ugly 6 inch flares" as you called them, unless you want to pay for my tickets

and yes I am very happy
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #11
2006_Sport
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerWestLA View Post
I do not know about Maryland but in CA your tires need to be covered by "those ugly 6 inch flares" as you called them, unless you want to pay for my tickets

and yes I am very happy
Marylands the same as you, but I don't get bugged by the cops for tires hangin out...probably different in Commufornia.

For BEST long arms, TnT, Nth Degree, Clayton, Poly Performance to name a few.

I would stray far away from Rough country, pay for quality, not crap. If you want a good kit you're gonna have to spend some money. RCs is 1400 and decent from what i've been reading in their thread about it but the LAs hang kind of low and there's been some issues with sagging springs with their other kits.

2006 Jeep Wrangler|BDS|BFGoodrich|Uniden|Upol|HiLift|Cragar| IPF|Alpine|JKS|PoisonSpyder|Truck-lite|Aussie Locker|Novak|Trail Gear|Firestik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson View Post
There are no women on the internet either. Learn that. It's a fact.
-Zach
2006_Sport is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:31 PM   #12
Elwood
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Black Jeep Club: A long time ago, I think in the general discussion forum, you could join. Costs nothing, just call out a number. Search the forum for it, you will find it. It has been so long I forgot about it! LOL

Long arms ride very nice on the road compared to a short arm, but 4" is very acceptable on road in short arm form. I have wheeled with others running a 4" short arm set up on the same size tire. I flex a lot more. The RK kit, as well as some others sets you up with a rear triangular set up and gets rid of the rear track bar.

Some of the best advice I can give it so look at other Jeeps from clubs or even shows. Look at the quality of the components. Talk to people who wheel them and even ask for a ride. Seeing first hand and riding in them is more helpful than opinions only. What is too firm for one may be just right for someone else.

Rock Krawler uses solid control arms. No bending ever. Yes, the kit is a bit heavy compared to others, but the weight has never hindered me and you can slide or bang on the arms without worry. They are "dog-legged" to help with clearance issues found on some straight arm long arms. The joints have a ton of articulation and I for the life of me can't see every wearing one out, but they are rebuild-able if you do. The truss for the rear axle is very nice as is the belly skid. Their springs tend to be a bit soft, but I run Bilstein shocks the the combo was very nice. I switched my springs to AEV progressives because I tow a trailer frequently and those springs handle towing better in my opinion.

In the end, the cheapest price is not always the best kit, nor is the most expensive.
Unread 07-16-2010, 02:41 PM   #13
Imped
Web Wheeler

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Lifting more won't gain you much. You need to create more clearance with higher fenders and losing the shovel skid plate. Build smart, not tall.
Imped is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 03:47 PM   #14
kuebelwagen
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Rough Country long arm is a great kit for the money. Had mine for six months now, wheel it every other weekend, zero problems. Their shocks are lousy though, too rough. Nice smooth ride on the street too. My 2cents.

Pain is weakness leaving the body.

2004 Rubicon
1995 Cherokee
kuebelwagen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-16-2010, 04:40 PM   #15
never monday
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/lo...basics-879206/

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/i-...-my-tj-751873/

after you doo all that work why buy a Rubicon?

Tags
tj , wrangler , long arm , la , lift , suspension

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.