What is 3.73:1 Axle Ratio??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > What is 3.73:1 Axle Ratio???

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-15-2004, 04:13 PM   #1
jaguar18

What is 3.73:1 Axle Ratio???

I hear members talking about upgrading to the 3.73:1 Axle Ratio, and was wondering exactly what is the advantage to having this? My new Jeep has it (checked my window sticker after seeing the posts) but was curious if someone can explain what this actually mean or does. Thanks in advance.

Eric

5-Speed OWL AT Tires
[COLOR=yellow]YELLOW JEEP CLUB #76[/COLOR]
http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4287442317&p=4183305463&idx=1
jaguar18 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2004, 04:31 PM   #2
WhatWasIThinkin

Thats the drive ratio at the axles

Power in vs. Power out

Driveshaft turns 3.73 times vs. 1 revolution at the axle and wheel.

Alot of Jeeps come with 3.07 gears which are a street gear that works okay on tires up to 29" in diameter......like the common Goodyear GSA's found on most Wranglers on the dealer lot.
3.07 gears dont work well if you decide to go to a larger diameter tire.....like say a 33". Changing to larger tires changes the final drive ratio.

3.73 gears have a couple of advantages. Changing to 33" tires is a little more gear friendly......actually numerically 4.10:1 is even better for 33's.

Another advantage to having 3.73 gears is that you allready now have the carrier made for gear swaps of 4.10, 4.56, or 4.88. Whereas the 3.07 carrier is only good up to a 3.55 gear I beleive. The main difference being bolt pattern between the different rings.
[size=2][color=darkolivegreen]*Engine=Stock* *Armor=OYR Rear Corners, SkidRow Engine Skid, OEM Rockers* *Lift=OME 942HD & 933HD Coils, OME N66 & N67 HD Shocks, ACOS front and rear, 1-1/4" JKS BL, JKS front Track Bar* *Tires/Wheels= 12.5x33" Interco TrXus MT's mounted on 15x8 Cragar 397 Steelies* *Bumpers and Carrier=Jeeperman Rock bumpers front and rear* * Other Stuff=1" M.O.R.E Bombproof Torsion Rubber MML, Meridian Gold GPS, CE 8k Winch*[/color][/size]
WhatWasIThinkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2004, 04:41 PM   #3
we3jeepers

just because your window sticker says you have 3.73
it doesnt mean you actually do
you have to check the id tag on the diff cover
a friend of mine has a Wrangler X
his window sticker said 3.07
he bought a D44 with 3.73's
and 3.73 gears for the front
got the front all apart and the gears were the same
checked the id tag and it said 3.73
so they put it back together
1" motormount lift, 5" of lift, 31/10.5 Goodyear Wrangler ATS, 15x8 AR 767, Dana 30 open diff 3.73 gear, Dana 44 open diff 3.73 gear, Bestop sailcloth top, Tomken gas tank skidplate, skidrow oil pan skid plate, Jeeperman trail skids, Tomken winch plate, Ramsey REP 8000, Rockcrusher rear bumper w/receiver, front & rear tow hooks, borla Header & cat back exhaust, Power Aid throttle body spacer, tera flex discos
we3jeepers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-16-2004, 04:10 PM   #4
04JeepTJ
2010 JK Wrangler 

Call DC (goto jeep.com for the cust service #). Give them your VIN and FAX # and they'll send you a build sheet which says exactly which parts went into building your Jeep - including the gearing.

For 04, depending on your options, you may or may not have 3.07's - go to jeep.com and configure a vehicle like yours to see if 3.73's are automaticaly selected (i.e. if you got the 30" tire package, D44 [not avail on X] or Automatic).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.