Weird Vibration wont go away - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weird Vibration wont go away

Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippBLACK FRIDAY SPECIALS!! You asked, we deliver!

Unread 06-20-2011, 09:04 AM   #1
clutchn350z
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Weird Vibration wont go away

This is my first post so excuse me if I posted this in the Wrong area. I also dont know too much about the specs of my Jeep yet but will add as i learn more.

I just purchased a 1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0 with a 4 inch lift kit already installed on it. When I first got the Jeep I noticed a vibration in the steering wheel and dashboard that starts right about when I hit 30 miles an hour and continues more vigorously through about 50 miles an hour and then fades away completely above 50 miles an hour.

I have replaced all 4 tires with brand new ones, replaced all the shocks and even replaced the rear axles in hopes that would alleviate the issue. It has lessened the severity of the vibration overall but it is still very noticeable. My mechanic seems to think it may have something to do with the "Pitman Arm" or "Pitman Bar" or possibly the driveshaft.

The vibration only happens when I push the accelerator which leads me to believe its more than what my mechanic thinks but what do I know.

Anyone out there have any ideas or have had a similar issue?

Last edited by clutchn350z; 06-20-2011 at 09:50 AM.. Reason: More details
clutchn350z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 09:46 AM   #2
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a driveline vibe from the 4" lift.You SHOULD NOT have a drop pitman arm either,unless you have a frame side track bar drop also.How much t case drop does the lift have? A MML would fix it if that's the problem(driveline vibes).
TheBoogieman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:24 AM   #3
clutchn350z
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Boogieman! I am not too familiar with Jeep lingo yet as this is my first Jeep and I have had it for 3 weeks. Can you let me know what an MML is?
Unread 06-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
mdm
Farm Wheeler
2000 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/acronym-list-337953/

MML = Motor Mount Lift. There are two types of MML. One is taller motor mounts that completely replaces the stock mounts. The other is a budget MML which is a spacer that goes under the stock mount. The MML raises the front of the engine/transmission/transfer case assembly which reduced the angle at the drive shaft. This is a common fix for drive shaft vibration caused by suspension lifts. Another common fix is a transfer case drop which is spacers put between the frame and the skid.

At four inches of lift you have entered the range where the best fixe is a SYE, slip yoke eliminator. The SYE puts a shorter, stronger rear output shaft on the transfer case and uses a CV drive shaft.
Unread 06-20-2011, 03:58 PM   #5
clutchn350z
1999 TJ Wrangler 

you guys are awesome thank you very much

Tags
help needed , vibration on acceleration

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.