Weird Problem... Weird fix... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weird Problem... Weird fix...

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Weird Problem... Weird fix...

Heard some clankin underneath the Jeep tonight during acceleration and slowing down (downshiftin).. Never noticed it before (somethin new to me).. Knew I had somethin goin on under there.. After about 10 minutes of lookin around with some light I saw a spot where my exhaust pipe was taggin the side of my oil pan where it makes the 90 degree turn towards the motor. It only sat about 1/2 an inch away from the pan while resting.. I debated on what to do... Finally, I took a wrench and pried the pipe away from the pan.. It moved a good inch. Problem solved... No more taggin'... Any of you has this problem? I was dumbfounded on how this could have happened..

Also - Side note on something I noticed and couldn't fix.. I noticed on passenger side of the front axle where the axle itself comes out of the tubing, there was a very very very slight leak of fluid. I'm assuming there is a seal going bad in the axle, but this doesn't make much sense after only 13,000 miles.. Any of you had this problem, and I can put off taking it to the dealer until my convenience ehh? OR should this get immediate attention??

DH

Unread 01-07-2007, 11:16 AM   #2
Mattholomew
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Only 13,000 miles? I would take it to the dealer for anything that upset me about my brand new vehicle.

The leak could be from a grease fitting. There are only a couple of these on your front end, invest in and refer to a Chilton's or Haynes repair manual.
Mattholomew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2007, 08:40 PM   #3
1BadJeepX06
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Well, the problem persisted with my exhuast pipe hitting the oil pan... I climbed back underneath and further examined my options. HELLO!! Turn out, where the exhaust pipes bolt to the manifold (where the doughnut gaskets are) the bolts were loosened up a bit.. I threw a wrench on them and BAM! Problem solved! Simple and easy. Didn't think that would be my problem at all.. Not sure how they got loose, but oh well..

DH
Unread 01-08-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
Combatsylvania

its always a good idea to let the dealership documents these issues, especially on such a young jeep. makes you wonder what else wasnt tightned to spec.

mine came with NO grease on all the steering components.. dry as a bone...
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2007, 07:59 AM   #5
bee guz

mfg

They build cars so dam fast, that there is always something loose, not always the same piece on every vehicle, but enough to look around under a new vehicle.

I got a new chevy plow truck in 05, and whenI brought it home, I slid under, the front rear was down a pint, and the rear down a quart, the inside of the muffler was loose, and ratteling, and the front end was never greased, so it pays to slide under and take a look.

Whenever I buy anything I spend some time underneath, I like to get to know what I missed when I bought it, and you always miss something, after owning hundreds of cars, (I buy one at a time and sell them after they are right) its become automatic, and 4wd's just make it easyer, to get under...
bee guz is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.