Weird Humming sound when engine turned off - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weird Humming sound when engine turned off

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 06-07-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
Jeep'nSon

Weird Humming sound when engine turned off

Hey all, have a question maybe you can help. 2005 Rubicon Unlimited. When I turn off the engine I hear a "humming" sound that lasts for approx. 3-5 seconds. I can't determine if the noise is coming from under the hood or from the rear. Has anyone else had this issue, any ideas what it might be. I only hear the noise after the key is off and the engine has stopped running.

Thanks,
Jason

Unread 06-07-2007, 12:49 PM   #2
Chris @ GATR
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Could be the ABS. All my Land Rovers did the same thing, but constantly.
Unread 06-07-2007, 01:19 PM   #3
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Are you running your a/c after you turn off the engine? If so it is just your condenser.. normal.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
Combatsylvania

rememebr the AC runs when your defrost vents are selected to help pull moisture out of the air..

whatever it is, i dont think its a problem

[URL="http://www.combatsylvania.com"]http://www.combatsylvania.com[/URL]
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2007, 03:04 PM   #5
PackMan

Location: Home of the Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hyde ©
Could be the ABS. All my Land Rovers did the same thing, but constantly.
No ABS on Rubis.
[SIZE="1"][I]OME 2.5" (930 front, 942 rear), Daystar 3/4" front spacers, OME N66/N67 shocks, JKS adj track bars, JKS BBL, JKS BMML, really cool toddler booster seats,
Jeeperman bumpers and rockers, IPF 968, Cobra 75WX CB, sPod switches, Cheerios under the rear seat, Skid Row engine and steering box, MORE steering
shaft lift, crayon marks on the sport bar, Napa SC2928 steering stabilzer, Warn xd9000i winch, something that smells bad on the passenger side rear
fender that a child probably had something to do with, HiLift jack, a .357 Magnum S&W, and an Indianapolis Colts SBXLI World Champion window sticker. [/I][/SIZE]
PackMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2007, 03:32 PM   #6
Jeep'nSon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky529
Are you running your a/c after you turn off the engine? If so it is just your condenser.. normal.
Nope, A/C not on, not even defrost. We haven't had any defrost issues here in Southern California for a few months.

Thanks,

Jason

Last edited by Jeep'nSon; 06-09-2007 at 01:25 AM..
Jeep'nSon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2007, 04:42 PM   #7
solarpower
2004 TJ Wrangler 

fuel pump maybe??? possibly even your locker pumps.....but I think you would have other issues if it was your locker pumps.

fuel pump is in gas tank.
Unread 06-07-2007, 04:45 PM   #8
juiceparn
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have an JK 4DR that does that as well?? Regardless of accessories running. It's sounds similar to an antenna retracting I'll check with the dealer tomorrow to see if they can tell me what it is.
juiceparn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.