weird guage wiring question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > weird guage wiring question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineAttention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rock

Unread 04-21-2014, 09:55 PM   #1
mlm85
2001 TJ Wrangler 

weird guage wiring question

ok so i just posted my first post and i figures while i was here,
id go for my second.

so a few months ago a guage light went out.
i removed the guages to replace the light and found something the previous owner had done.
from the center bulb on the circuit board guage assemble there is a wire that has been stuck between the bulb housing and circuit board. (this was not the bulb that was out)
the wire goes to the black and yellow wire in the harness. it has been spliced into it.
i replaced the bulb and left the wire alone as i did not know what it did and why mess with it.

but now curiousity has got me.....

any ideas guys?

mlm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2014, 10:07 PM   #2
geroux
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Without knowing exactly what that yellow/black wire it's hard to tell.
My first guess is, power or ground was not getting to that particular bulb due to maybe a bad trace in the circuit board or something. So he jumpered it with a wire to power or ground (whatever the yellow/black wire is).
Pull the wire out. Maybe the bulb won't work without the jumper wire.
But don't take my word for anything. I'm not a supporting member, have not posted enough to establish any credibility or filled out my profile correctly so apparently that makes me an idiot. So I've been told.
geroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 03:05 PM   #3
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

In later TJs where the lighting controls are on the indicator stalk the cluster controls the dimmable dash/cluster illumination bulbs. In earlier TJs they are directly controlled by the switch.

Occasionally the driver circuit in the cluster fails which leaves people with no dash illumination. As a work around I have suggested in the past that the marker light circuit (black/yellow wire) be tapped to the dash illumination circuit (orange wire) to allow the dash illumination to run at full brightness with no dimming possible.

It seems the PO of your TJ has figured that on their own and used a jumper wire to solve the problem. If you turn the dimmer on your multifunction switch I believe you will find the lamps do not dim, and that if you remove that wire you will not have any dash illumination. If you want to tidy it up you could tap that wire into the orange wire at pin 6 of the C2 cluster connector. The black/yellow wire should be at pin 4 of the C1 cluster connector.

Rockauto 5% discount code can be found here... http://www.markviii.org/LOD2/products_services.htm

Online factory service manuals (FSMs) and parts lists can be viewed at http://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowledge-base/index.htm
If the link doesn't work properly, look for the service manual link under Jeep Resources at the bottom of the page.
Jonny Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2014, 06:12 PM   #4
mlm85
2001 TJ Wrangler 

yes the dimmer switch does not work.

thank you, ive been putting it off as a problem with the dimmer switch which i planned to replace eventually.

now i know.
mlm85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.