Weird condensation issue on windshield - JeepForum.com

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-17-2016, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
FireGuy1996
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Weird condensation issue on windshield

I can't seem to get this one spot of condensation off my windshield. Of course kicking on the defroster removes it, but as soon as I turn it off it comes right back about a minute later. Windows down, top off, top on doesn't make a difference.

I pulled as much apart as I can trying to find warm spots with no luck, cant find anything that would be causing it. It's only in that one spot it keeps coming back.

I'm out of ideas......

Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20160717_203955.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-17-2016, 06:41 PM
btn
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Leaking heater core?

2000 TJ, 4.0L, 4" short arm suspension lift, 35" tires, Rear D44 and front HP30 both with ARBs and chromo shafts, NV3550.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-17-2016, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
FireGuy1996
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Leaking heater core?
Great.....
post #4 of 16 Old 07-17-2016, 07:04 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by btn View Post
Leaking heater core?
Would be my first belief also.

Bypass heater core by connecting two heater hose together under the hood.

This will also give you some time to repair.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #5 of 16 Old 07-17-2016, 09:49 PM Thread Starter
FireGuy1996
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jhanna View Post
Would be my first belief also.

Bypass heater core by connecting two heater hose together under the hood.

This will also give you some time to repair.
Going to install the bypass in the morning. Just tonight it wen't from that one spot to practically the entire windshield. Defogger is barley helping now, plus I found a small spot of coolant on the passenger floor.

Dumb question #1: Will I still be able to use A\C with the bypass on?

Dumb question #2: I assume I will have no heat until the core is swapped, which means I have to get this done before winter?

Normal Question #3: How much (average) does it cost to have one replaced professionally? Assuming I simply can't find the time to do it since I have one full time job plus two side jobs and rarely get days off......
post #6 of 16 Old 07-17-2016, 10:21 PM
eighteenwheeler

I was going to say, "Guarantee its the heater core" but it looks like everyone beat me to it. My heater core went out last weekend and I saw that the day before I had it dripping on my feet.

Now to answer your "dumb questions"
-Yes

Dumb question #2: I assume I will have no heat until the core is swapped, which means I have to get this done before winter?
-Yes

Normal Question #3: How much (average) does it cost to have one replaced professionally? Assuming I simply can't find the time to do it since I have one full time job plus two side jobs and rarely get days off......
-hahahahaha sorry. Its officially a 6.8 hour job for a labor time guide, so if your shop is about $110 an hour, your looking at about $748 in labor plus about $100 in parts (could be as high as 300 depending on where you go). So your in the ballpark of a grand. Repair pal says about 550-800, but I think its a hair higher at most places, and closer to 900. A dealership will be around 1100. I really thought about it... and thought about it... and thought about it... but decided I couldn't pay it and scheduled a weekend to do it with a friend. (I also work 2 fill time jobs and own a company as well, so I know what you mean about time... I probably should have just ponied up, but I just couldn't stomach the price.

01 Jeep TJ
Plus 9 other less durable vehicles from Italy, Germany, and 'Merica
post #7 of 16 Old 07-17-2016, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
FireGuy1996
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eighteenwheeler View Post
I was going to say, "Guarantee its the heater core" but it looks like everyone beat me to it. My heater core went out last weekend and I saw that the day before I had it dripping on my feet.

Now to answer your "dumb questions"
-Yes

-Yes

-hahahahaha sorry. Its officially a 6.8 hour job for a labor time guide, so if your shop is about $110 an hour, your looking at about $748 in labor plus about $100 in parts (could be as high as 300 depending on where you go). So your in the ballpark of a grand. Repair pal says about 550-800, but I think its a hair higher at most places, and closer to 900. A dealership will be around 1100. I really thought about it... and thought about it... and thought about it... but decided I couldn't pay it and scheduled a weekend to do it with a friend. (I also work 2 fill time jobs and own a company as well, so I know what you mean about time... I probably should have just ponied up, but I just couldn't stomach the price.
Alright thanks, that helps a lot.

As for the core itself, would you recommend a OEM replacement or go aftermarket? This is the cheapest one I found on XT for $70

https://goo.gl/photos/dx9m2SGLWtZDoSKC8

MOPAR ones are $319

Crown makes one for $105
post #8 of 16 Old 07-18-2016, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
FireGuy1996
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Bump for that question regarding factory vs aftermarket.

Another nice development today, my radiator decided to blow. Going to have to replace that as well.

So far this week: Blown radiator, blown heater core, gas tank skid has to be replaced.

And it's only Monday
Attached Thumbnails
ForumRunner_20160718_181953.jpg   ForumRunner_20160718_182001.jpg  
post #9 of 16 Old 07-18-2016, 04:26 PM
xxdabroxx
Dave's not here

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGuy1996 View Post
Bump for that question regarding factory vs aftermarket.

Another nice development today, my radiator decided to blow. Going to have to replace that as well.

So far this week: Blown radiator, blown heater core, gas tank skid has to be replaced.

And it's only Monday
Don't buy your radiator from autopartsmopar on amazon. I ordered one from them last week with 2 day shipping (paid extra) still isn't here and had to buy a murray from oreilly's. Do try and get an OEM radiator.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-18-2016, 04:56 PM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Is your radiator cap working. If it's stuck closed would the added pressure cause things to blow?

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #11 of 16 Old 07-18-2016, 07:03 PM Thread Starter
FireGuy1996
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I got a new radiator through NAPA. Next day shipping plus warranty.

The radiator cap is brand new. My old looked like it was as old as the Jeep, and I kept having issues with it. Finally replaced it, and I guess now that the system is operating at its normal pressure it, it was enough to blow the 16 year old heater core and radiator.

The new radiator coat $130
post #12 of 16 Old 07-19-2016, 09:24 AM
xxdabroxx
Dave's not here

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Pretty sure that is what happened to my radiator. Replaced the cap and it couldn't hang with the new found pressure.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-19-2016, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
FireGuy1996
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I'm curious if now with the new pressure in the system, I should worry about the hoses bursting since they are probably as old as the rest of the components. I have a road trip coming up right after I get my new radiator installed and I don't want to end up with a busted radiator hose out in the middle of the mountains 50 miles from civilization.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-19-2016, 09:59 AM
2jhanna
Web Wheeler
2002 TJ Wrangler 

New radiator, new heater core (soon), I'd go ahead with new hoses and be done and enjoy the trip.

jhanna
denton county, tx
post #15 of 16 Old 07-20-2016, 07:34 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed.

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Mopar.
ravenworks likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine View Post
Springs have one job and one job only and it isn't to affect, determine, or create ride quality.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.