Weird clanky/squealy noise from front end? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weird clanky/squealy noise from front end?

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 02-04-2008, 02:36 PM   #1
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Weird clanky/squealy noise from front end?

hey guys,

went wheeling the other day, and was going through a rock garden and came up to a rock that was alittle hard to get up and over well i came up to it and was attempting to get over it and when i did i heard a "clank" from the front end.....i didn't know what it really was but i backed off and then tried it again, and got up over it.....well at the end of the garden there is a pretty big rock and i ended up bending my tie rod and hit it into my front diff alittle but we were able to get a good "trail fix" on it and i haven't noticed anything front that...but back to the "clank", now sometimes when i start going from a stop, or say i'm in second and i'm just going in between red lights and tap the gas a few times (making it accelerate off and on), sometimes it makes a noise like a bearing or something is going out......sometimes it does the random clank sound, and sometimes it does the bearing going out noise...could this be my front ball joints, or wheel joints or something....i don't know, i know this is probably a confusing explanation, but hopefully someone can help.

thanks,

john

Unread 02-05-2008, 04:27 PM   #2
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

no one knows anything that would be of help??
Unread 02-08-2008, 03:08 PM   #3
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i guess no one can be of any help???? its still doing it, is it one of the joints?...maybe bearing in front? i dunno

thanks,

john
Unread 02-08-2008, 03:11 PM   #4
KINGZ
2004 TJ Wrangler 

My 04 start doing that as soon as I put new tires on it, I have been looking for a wile what it could be and have posted a few times and no ones has got back to me on it, a few other ppl seems to have had the problem.

[SIZE="2"][B][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]LIVE HARD, DIE PROUD[/FONT][/B][/SIZE]
KINGZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 03:28 PM   #5
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Put it in first gear, key out of vehicle. get some buddies to rock the Jeep, not too hard mind, back and forth, while you crawl under the front end. Look at all the suspension linkages, see if any have excessive movement, both in the bushings and where they attach. Now look at the drive line especially the "U" joints see if you can see any movement in them. Don't touch while rocking Jeep however. Stop rocking Jeep and see if you can move any of the aforementioned with your hands. Put your hands under the input yoke into the front diff and try lifting it up and down:- no movement is good. Now with someone sitting in the drivers seat and the steering wheel unlocked, get them to move the steering wheel back and forth rapidly. Look at all the linkage again for looseness. That's a start for you.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGZ View Post
My 04 start doing that as soon as I put new tires on it, I have been looking for a wile what it could be and have posted a few times and no ones has got back to me on it, a few other ppl seems to have had the problem.
i don't think mine has something to do with the tires, i think i know the clank your talking about, the one that kinda in the steering????......but mines different, sounds like metal clanking, like maybe i guess one of my bearings or front joints or something going out.....it could be the chain in my TC, i don't know what it sounds like when its messed up....thats why i hoping someone should shed some light on this....i know its hard without being here and hearing it, but if you know of any questions that will help you out, then ask and i'll give you the answer the best of my knowelege and then maybe we all can sort this out!!

thanks,

john
Unread 02-18-2008, 04:31 AM   #7
Jeds Sr.
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Do you ever figure out your noise? I have a similar problem. Mine sounds kinda like I'm dragging a small chain under my ride. Seems to clang more-so when I hit a bump.
Jeds Sr. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:02 PM   #8
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFM626 View Post
Put it in first gear, key out of vehicle. get some buddies to rock the Jeep, not too hard mind, back and forth, while you crawl under the front end. Look at all the suspension linkages, see if any have excessive movement, both in the bushings and where they attach. Now look at the drive line especially the "U" joints see if you can see any movement in them. Don't touch while rocking Jeep however. Stop rocking Jeep and see if you can move any of the aforementioned with your hands. Put your hands under the input yoke into the front diff and try lifting it up and down:- no movement is good. Now with someone sitting in the drivers seat and the steering wheel unlocked, get them to move the steering wheel back and forth rapidly. Look at all the linkage again for looseness. That's a start for you.
thanks for the help, i will check these things out.....i was about to give up on someone helping me out....again thanks
Unread 02-19-2008, 05:04 PM   #9
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds Sr. View Post
Do you ever figure out your noise? I have a similar problem. Mine sounds kinda like I'm dragging a small chain under my ride. Seems to clang more-so when I hit a bump.
nope not yet, i'm trying to figure it out as i type.....as soon as i do, i will let you know!
Unread 02-24-2008, 11:16 PM   #10
97casteeltj
1997 TJ Wrangler 

hey guys i think it might be a transmission mount.....what does it sound like when of them go out or messes up??

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.