This weekends Jeep problems (radio and belt) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > This weekends Jeep problems (radio and belt)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 05-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
AppFan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

This weekends Jeep problems (radio and belt)

My factory radio will play for about 5 seconds and cut out (just the sound, it still has power and all the buttons still operate). Any ideas or time for a new head unit? I'd rather not spend cash on it as it's one more thing for people to steal and it's just a weekend toy, not my daily driver. Though it would be nice to have an iPod plug...
Also, when I started it this morning I had some squeaking under the hood. It sped up with the engine and went away as it warmed up so I'm guessing I'm about to be replacing a belt?
Thanks in advance

AppFan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:17 AM   #2
djt283
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Not sure about the radio, but as far as the belt my guess would be a pulley. You can easily check the belt for wear, and even if it's ok it's not a bad idea to replace it considering how easy it is.

I had the same type of noise...squeaked when cold then went away. Turned out to be the idler pulley. You can easily diagnose the pulley by hitting the bolt/bushing with a squirt of wd-40...if it doesn't squeak you found the pulley that needs to be replaced. (some people might argue with this, but just don't get whatever you use on the belt)

The idelr pulley and belt should take 30 minutes to replace. Just make sure you sketch the belt routing out or print a diagram before removing it.
djt283 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-23-2010, 08:21 AM   #3
cidd
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just give your local bone yard a call see if they have one there cheap and if someone steal it no biggy. I picked up one for mine the cd player didnt like giving back my disc so I bought one for $25 from my local yard they had 30 of them guy pointed to a pile and said pick one and try it out if it dont work bring it back and try agine.
cidd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
belt , radio , serpentine belt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.