Weak HEAT - Please help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Weak HEAT - Please help

Rockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-17-2011, 07:14 AM   #1
mreilly4
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Weak HEAT - Please help

2000 Jeep Wrangler, 2.5L 4 cyl

My heat was gradually becoming weaker (less hot). I brought it to a shop and my mechanic said it needed coolant/antifreeze. He flushed the coolant system and refilled it. The heat was working great. 500-1000 miles later the heat is losing steam again. It's barely warm enough to defog my windshield. Any thoguhts on how I might fix this myself, if at all possible? Thanks!

Mike

mreilly4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Well, for starters, you should have posted this question here, http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/

More on topic, when the engine is cool, pop the rad cap off and check the level. If its full, put the cap back on and start the engine. When it gets hot, see if the heater hoses on the firewall are hot. If one is significantly hotter than the other (with the heater on "hot" and fan on low) then you may have a plugged heater core. If both hoses are hot, then you may have an issue in the heater box with the blend door or its motor or the controls. I don't know the TJ's that well, but that should give you a place to start.
My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #3
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Hmm, maybe he didn't flush the system well enough? I was having problems with heat with my 4.0L, and I needed to replace my radiator due to a cracked pinch seam along the top. Replaced the radiator after flushing the entire system with a garden hose—which includes sending water down the inlet and outlet hoses to get the heater core in your flush. I had a bunch of weird colored stuff come out. Maybe drain the radiator, disconnect the outlet hose to the heater core and flush again? Or take it back to your mechanic and explain the problem, see if he'll flush again for free (doubt it).
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze , coolant , Coolant leak , heat

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.