weak frame in the 97 tj's - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > weak frame in the 97 tj's

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 09-15-2011, 11:41 AM   #31
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsus View Post
GAH! this thread compares to being a crack addict just starting out and being caught by your parents, then they show you all these terrible picture of what you will look like in 2, 5 and 10 years after being a crack head.

i'll be outside checking my frame....again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:01 PM   #32
jds79cj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Seeing the pitchers of rusted frames makes me glad I moved out of upstate New York 15 years ago. I had a 97 for 3 years and currently have a 2000 and did a lift on both and never even had to us PB blaster on the bolts. I broke all bolts loose with a half inch ratchet. Both jeeps were 11 years old when I did the lifts.

Oh by the way to the ones who are saying you can prevent it by cleaning the salt off. It's not simple there are more nooks and crannies in new frames and they are almost impossible to get all the road salt out of. But regular cleaning does prolong the inevitable of Snow belt vehicles.

Both my 97 and 00 still have the factory coating on the frame, Man is it great living in North Western NC.
jds79cj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 12:49 PM   #33
97TJSPRT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsus View Post
GAH! this thread compares to being a crack addict just starting out and being caught by your parents, then they show you all these terrible picture of what you will look like in 2, 5 and 10 years after being a crack head.

i'll be outside checking my frame....again.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #279
97TJSPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 03:27 PM   #34
Andy-WhiteTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Did a frame swap over the winter this past season for similar problems. Brand new frame now. Stays in garage and won't see the salt in the winter. Only comes out to play in good weather.

If you want to see how fast a frame can swap out, look at this time lapsed video here: http://scottwyden.com/time-lapse-vid...er-frame-swap/

Here is my frame swap: http://hv4w.org/gallery/show1gallery...allery2disp=32

Good luck to the OP.

Just another member of:Hudson Valley 4 Wheelers, Inc. (a 501(c)(7) Not-for-Profit Corporation)
Member: NOVA (Northeast Off-road Vehicle Alliance)
Andy-WhiteTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:36 PM   #35
Steelman
IX-X-XIII-XIV-XL-XLIII

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
Early model TJ frames are slightly different than later model TJs.

TheMusicMan
Care to elaborate??
my rig: http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblaine
Are you bipolar, passive agressive, or just unable to recognize the dichotomy of your thought processes?
Steelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 06:27 PM   #36
mediumdaddy
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelman View Post
Care to elaborate??
x2.

my 97's frame is pretty rust-free for a 14 year old vehicle anyway
Utah Jeepcrew #63
mediumdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2011, 06:58 PM   #37
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Man I paid $125 for my rust free frame but I had to drive 10 hrs round trip to get it. I only broke 2 bolts off doing the whole swap too. Kroil is the penetrating oil to use; way better than PB. I painted the outside of the new frame with Chassis Saver (3 coats) and painted the inside with Eastwood's Internal Frame Coating(2.5 cans). While I had it apart I also put 2 coats of CS on the underside of the tub, inside the fender wells and most of the engine bay(still have 1/3 of a gallon left; CS is the SHIZNIT!) I didnt even have a garage to use for the swap! Did it all in my driveway. The only thing I used besides basic hand tools was an engine hoist, which I used to take the tub off the old frame and to swap the engine/tranny/t-case as one unit.

Its really not as hard to swap a frame as you think; nor as time consuming. I did it by myself in less than 10 days. And the only help I had was from a cheap Haynes repair manual.
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:36 PM   #38
bayouguy
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleTJ View Post
Definitely a big deal around MI / Great Lakes area. Heres what mine looked like ~3 weeks ago before i got it back from the shop. Looks a lot better now though

Any pics of the "after"?
bayouguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #39
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
Any pics of the "after"?
Not yet. Been too lazy to get under there and take more pics. Ill try to get some tomorrow though
Quote:
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.

Unread 09-19-2011, 07:47 AM   #40
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMusicMan View Post
Early model TJ frames are slightly different than later model TJs.

TheMusicMan
Yes they are, but not in any way that affects how soon or slowly they will rust.

They deleted some holes in the rear crossmember where the bumperettes used to mount on the YJ.

The 03 up belly skid has a different bolt pattern, uses different nutserts in the frame 12mm vs 1/2", and the skid is shaped differently.

The Unlimited frame besides being obviously longer, has two gas tank skid rear crossmembers and the 05 and 06 versions have a reinforcement patch welded on top of frame on the driver's side just under the brake booster.

The 98 frame has two small u-shaped perches welded to the frame for the shorter core support snubbers to sit on.

They changed the shape of the hole in the front tube at the ends and the flat spot is slightly narrower.

On the 03 up, the lower front bolt sleeve in the steering gear mount is in a slightly different spot.

So far though, the only thing I've ever found that is unique to the 97 is extra holes in the rear crossmember for the bumpettes and I'm not 100% certain I haven't seen them on a few 98's.
Unread 09-19-2011, 03:18 PM   #41
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My 98 had the same holes in the rear crossmember that the 97 swapped in frame does. But my old 98 frame didnt have the perches for the grill snubbers your talking about....nor does my 97....?
Unread 09-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #42
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
Any pics of the "after"?
After pics

He cut out the infected section and welded in all new steel

The CA

Pass. side

I noticed today that, it looks like where he might have had the lift's "feet" placed was covered, therefore didnt get painted or something, and rust is already showing through. You can see the spot, right in front of the CA mount on either side.

Edit: sorry about the dirt
Quote:

Unread 09-26-2011, 11:40 AM   #43
97TJSPRT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

bumpbump

does anybody know of anywhere to buy sections of the tj frame? ive seen sections for sale for yjs and cjs in the quadratec mags but ive been looking around for somewhere to buy tj sections. any idea of where to look? ive tried jcwhitney 4wd and like i said quadratec and didnt see anything.
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #279
97TJSPRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 12:01 PM   #44
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
My 98 had the same holes in the rear crossmember that the 97 swapped in frame does. But my old 98 frame didnt have the perches for the grill snubbers your talking about....nor does my 97....?
Like most of the TJ stuff, I'm sure it's based on build dates somehow. I don't know the month range specific to the 98's that have the perches for the snubbers, I only know I've never seen them on anything but 98's, but that doesn't mean that a rig built in August of 98 right before the 99 year model started had them either.

I have no clue when the extra holes for the fenderettes went away. Probably about the same time the frame supplier ran out of those particular crossmembers and Jeep figured out they could save 12 cents per frame by not deleting them.

I know it gave the aftermarket fits back in the day because a lot of bumper builders were having folks use all four holes on each side and folks were sniveling on the internet over having to drop their tanks and drill holes without templates.
Unread 09-26-2011, 12:02 PM   #45
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJSPRT View Post
bumpbump

does anybody know of anywhere to buy sections of the tj frame? ive seen sections for sale for yjs and cjs in the quadratec mags but ive been looking around for somewhere to buy tj sections. any idea of where to look? ive tried jcwhitney 4wd and like i said quadratec and didnt see anything.
If I needed sections, I would look in a wrecking yard and find a decent frame that was not reuseable from being hit in the front.

Tags
frame , frame patch , frame repair , frame rot , Frame rust

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.