weak frame in the 97 tj's - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > weak frame in the 97 tj's

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 09-14-2011, 09:12 PM   #16
EricsGreen98Tj
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My frame was that bad too. I found a used frame from a guy on here cheap and swapped it in. I put a 97 frame on my 98 and EVERTHING was the same. If its that bad there then just think how bad it is on the whole inside of the frame....

Unread 09-14-2011, 09:43 PM   #17
3fifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricsGreen98Tj View Post
If its that bad there then just think how bad it is on the whole inside of the frame....
That was my thought process. Im glad I went with it.
Once we got the tub off and started looking around I realized that even if I would have just patched the rear passenger LCA area where it separated (like yours is about to) I would have had to deal with the other side shortly after.

When we peeled the cross member out of the frame along with nutserts I realized just how bad it was overall.

A few weeks later we went on a trail ride and another new TJ owner had his belly pan rip the nutserts out of the frame during the ride. I was glad it wasnt me even though we got him home safely.

I found a good frame, called some good friends and we had it swapped over with 23 hours of labor and some odds and ends fixed as well.

Find a frame and swap it.

The only difference in frames are between 4 and 6 cylinders.
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:45 PM   #18
97TJSPRT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

how much did the swap cost you?
Zombie Outbreak Response Unit #279
97TJSPRT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:46 PM   #19
hustler905
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I think 97s are "weaker" because they're simply older.

These threads scare the **** out of me, and invariably result in me checking every inch of frame with a screwdriver like a crazy man, looking for soft spots.
hustler905 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:53 PM   #20
3fifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJSPRT View Post
how much did the swap cost you?
I didnt keep track.
Around $800 with a junkyard frame, fluids, misc stuff breaking, flap discs, paint, and food/beer for my buddies.

Inspect your brake lines and fuel lines to see if you can reuse them. They are relatively cheap to replace and very easy with the tub off. They are probably rusted as well.
With the tub off its also a great time to raise your body mounts and fix the shock mounting problem in the rear.
Unread 09-14-2011, 09:57 PM   #21
97TJSPRT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

i dont have the time or resources or honestly the knowledge for to really do a frame swap id have to get it done for me im 19 full time student at college on the wrestling team and working
Unread 09-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #22
3fifty

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97TJSPRT View Post
i dont have the time or resources or honestly the knowledge for to really do a frame swap id have to get it done for me im 19 full time student at college on the wrestling team and working

That sucks. You better get ready to pony some cash up.
Honestly, its not as hard as you would think. I know its very intimidating though.
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:26 AM   #23
97TJSPRT
1997 TJ Wrangler 

like i said i already enforced the other side a few months back, i think it ran me like 300. ill do the same to this side and pray to god that nothing else is rotted
Unread 09-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #24
PeteYJTJ
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Toyota recalled the Tacoma for rusty frames - 1995.5-2004 or so. Jeep should have done the same. Sure, if you're in Cali it's fine, but in other areas, a Jeep that's not even 10 years old with a frame rotted through and coming apart that badly? IMHO, that's a problem.

My 99 isn't great, but it's ok. I try to stay on top of injecting oil on the inside, and sand and rust-converter on any rust on the outside.

There is a company that makes patch-frame-panels that look pretty good. http://www.jeep4x4center.com/auto-rust/

Good luck,
Pete
Unread 09-15-2011, 09:54 AM   #25
Dogbones
2006 TJ Wrangler 

ive seen alot of 2006 jeeps with "like-new" frames, is it because its still relatively newish or is it because they coated them with something different? They use some nasty salts on PA roads and my frame still looks decent, only rusty thing is the muffler
Dogbones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:22 AM   #26
srlbotanical
1997 TJ Wrangler 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fr...hread-1161491/

This is pretty common in Michigan The above thread Chronicles what happened to mine. Several other club members with different model year TJ's are having the same issue.

As stated several times, it's not a year problem, it's a design problem. Salt/mud/water can go right into that hole next to the rear tires and It has no where to go.

HIGHER POWERED!!
srlbotanical is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:29 AM   #27
Speed-Freek
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Salt kills.
Unread 09-15-2011, 10:30 AM   #28
PurpleTJ
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by srlbotanical View Post
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/fr...hread-1161491/

This is pretty common in Michigan The above thread Chronicles what happened to mine. Several other club members with different model year TJ's are having the same issue.

As stated several times, it's not a year problem, it's a design problem. Salt/mud/water can go right into that hole next to the rear tires and It has no where to go.
Definitely a big deal around MI / Great Lakes area. Heres what mine looked like ~3 weeks ago before i got it back from the shop. Looks a lot better now though

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarpower View Post
Get a good tummy tuck with engine skid and treat it like a pimp does a crack whore.
Purple Jeep Club member #8

My Purple People Eater Build
PurpleTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #29
TheMusicMan

Early model TJ frames are slightly different than later model TJs.

TheMusicMan
TheMusicMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2011, 11:07 AM   #30
jeepsus
2002 TJ Wrangler 

GAH! this thread compares to being a crack addict just starting out and being caught by your parents, then they show you all these terrible picture of what you will look like in 2, 5 and 10 years after being a crack head.

i'll be outside checking my frame....again.

http://convio.cancer.ca/goto/brandon
jeepsus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
frame , frame patch , frame repair , frame rot , Frame rust

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.