Way to convert open diff to limited slip? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-07-2007, 06:03 AM Thread Starter
WilliamH

Way to convert open diff to limited slip?

Hey guys, check this out: www.phantomgrip.com .

If I understand correctly, it's a way to convert an open differential to a limited slip/locker. I haven't priced it yet, but it might be less cost that a lunchbox locker.

'06 Toyota Tacoma TRD Double cab with selectable rear locker ('06 Wrangler replacement).
'08 Yamaha FJR1300 sport/touring motorcycle with ABS and power adjustable windshield.
'06 Yamaha Wolverine 450 sport/4wd ATV.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550 SE with EPS, winch.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-07-2007, 06:20 AM
CNY
2004 TJ Wrangler 

They cost more that a lunch box, and their application list doesn't show Jeeps.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-07-2007, 06:22 AM
jonzer12
2000 XJ Cherokee 

This was a big topic with the street crowd about 3-4 years ago.
Yes it actually works, yes its not nearly as good as a quality LSD.

A magazine did a test of it a while back and showed that while it does actually work, it doesn't have nearly the strenth of a quality clutch type LSD and it did not work that well in high HP applications, if I remember correctly it actually tensions against your existing spider gears.
I wouldn't use it for offroad apps.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-07-2007, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
WilliamH

Yea, I looked further on their web site after I originally posted. I found it while I was trying to find some more information on limited slip differentials.

Maybe we can convince them to make them for Jeeps. At $300, they might be good for someone that wants a cheap limited slip without having to set up a ring and pinion.

'06 Toyota Tacoma TRD Double cab with selectable rear locker ('06 Wrangler replacement).
'08 Yamaha FJR1300 sport/touring motorcycle with ABS and power adjustable windshield.
'06 Yamaha Wolverine 450 sport/4wd ATV.
'09 Yamaha Grizzly 550 SE with EPS, winch.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.