Water Pump Replacement! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water Pump Replacement!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 01-12-2005, 05:22 PM   #1
Rudi

Water Pump Replacement!

So after hearing that it would cost $600 to replace a $50 water pump, I've decided to do it myself.

How hard is this replacement to do and how long would it take? Could I find some instructions somewhere and pull it off?

Any info appreciated

Thanks

Rudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #2
JeepCrazyKid

It's an easy job.

Basic instructions:
Drain the cooling system
Remove the drive belt
Unbolt the water pump.

I can give you more specific instructions if I knew what year and what engine do you had.
JeepCrazyKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2005, 06:16 PM   #3
redrockyj

I think this will help a little bit. Stu's site is always a good help.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/radiator/radiator-4.htm
redrockyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2005, 06:17 PM   #4
JSBlu974X4
2005 LJ Wrangler 

took myself about 45 min to do
2005 Unlimited Rubicon Hard N Soft Tops, Clayton Long Arm on RE Coils, Warn Bumper/Tire Carrier, Warn Winch N Bumper, Currie Steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Front Trac Bar, Bilsteins, CO2 System..Yada Yada Yada
JSBlu974X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2005, 06:20 PM   #5
wayoflife

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrockyj
I think this will help a little bit. Stu's site is always a good help.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/radiator/radiator-4.htm
actually, depends on year. stu's write-up will take care of a 97-99 TJ with a 4.0L (probably even a 2.5L) and this write-up will help you out if you have a 2000+ TJ with a 4.0L

Replacing Your Jeep TJ 2000+ 4.0L Waterpump
wayoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do avoid those cheap waterpumps that push their "lifetime warranty". It's well worth paying more to get the much better quality OE water pump. I replaced mine last summer and I first bought the $50 lifetime waterpump and it was a joke. It weighed half as much as my old water pump and it was cheap stamped steel so I took it back and got a refund, then bought the OE water pump. I think it was only $35 more and well worth it. I'd rather not rely on free replacement water pumps under warranty for the future if I have to replace them 2X or 3X as often.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2005, 10:58 PM   #7
Niles

Mine went up in the middle of a cold snap, it was too cold out to even consider doing it myself. Shoulda thought twice though. Took it to a repair guy who I thought was honest. He put on an OEM one, but hosed me on the labor. While he was in there, he replaced the lower hoses as well, but hit me for full labor on the install of the hoses even though he already had to taken them off to do the water pump. My bill came to $350.00 2 1/2 hours of labor @ $50 per plus and additional 1 1/2 for the hoses and 5 clamps @ 2 bucks per plus antifreeze ect. If I had known, I would have braved to cold slop with busted knuckles ( I always tear my hands up working in real cold temps) ect and done it myself. I will never learn. I could have had that $$ towards a Dana 44.
Unread 03-24-2005, 04:19 PM   #8

how can u test ur pump?
208k is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2005, 04:35 PM   #9
wherndon
What the hell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 208k
how can u test ur pump?
with the engine COLD remove the radiator cap and crank it up. When it reachs the proper operating temp. you should ba able to see the water circulating inside the radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niles
If I had known, I would have braved to cold slop with busted knuckles ( I always tear my hands up working in real cold temps) ect and done it myself. I will never learn. I could have had that $$ towards a Dana 44.
I used to bust knuckles all the time. Then one day I found out about mechanic's gloves. Matco makes some nice ones, and they come in different colors.
'05 Rubi, Patriot Blue, RE SF, Antirock, Warn, Fabtech, Tomken

wherndon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2005, 07:48 PM   #10
Niles

Mechanics gloves huh? I never thought about that. Makes sense though. I and my knuckles thank you. I'll get some to keep around. Never know when you'll need them.
Unread 03-25-2005, 09:08 PM   #11
BigWaylon
tubework is cool...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi
So after hearing that it would cost $600 to replace a $50 water pump, I've decided to do it myself.

How hard is this replacement to do and how long would it take? Could I find some instructions somewhere and pull it off?

Any info appreciated

Thanks
$600? that's robbery!!

the pump went out on our '99 as we pulled into the parking lot at our resort at Disney...

I had no tools, and decided I wasn't working on it while I was on vacation...

the book labor was less than 2 hours...probably $150 or so at most shops...

no idea what they're charging you for to get to $600...unless the pump is gold plated...

Greg
BigWaylon is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.