Water Proofing ?s - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water Proofing ?s

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 10-23-2003, 05:45 PM   #1
Savage4x4

Water Proofing ?s

In accordance to my 'i cant leave anything alone' and 'plan for the worst hope for the best' attitudes id like to ask some of you how to help waterproof my new Rubicon. I saw a video of the Slade KY Jamboree and it had rained HARD the night before, the group had to cross what is usually a stream, but had now had a hard current. As stock rubicon made it through fine, but the water was up to the hood. anyhways, can you guys point out some things/ways to water proof the vehicle? Since its my first jeep i may or may not know where the item is located, so you may want to mention its location. Yeah a snorkel is the obvious one . thanks everyone!

Savage4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2003, 05:54 PM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Aside from keeping water out of the air intake, Rubicons (as well as all 2003 and newer Wranglers) seem to be set up fairly well for crossing water. Rumor has it that the transmission FINALLY got a remote vent line in 2003, and in all model year TJs, both axles have remote vent lines and so does the transfer case.

Your engine doesn't have a distributor cap to get water inside so really, it seems like 2003 and newer Wranglers are pretty well set up. It's 2002 and older that get things like non-remote vented transmssions, and like 2000 (1999?) and older that have distributor caps that can get water inside and stall you out.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2003, 06:07 PM   #3
Savage4x4

wow, thats good to hear! what about computer boxes or any of that stuff? Just a snorkel and im ready to go then!?
Savage4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2003, 06:19 PM   #4
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Well, I think above worrying too much about making them waterproof is that no matter how we try to make Jeeps water resistant, they'll never be waterproof. Water can get into the sensors, inside the connectors, steering column where it seems to be especially sensitive to water (clockspring, turn-signals, instrument panel), etc. Taking it through deep water is really just plain risky. Every couple 'a days, someone posts about their electrical system is hosed, intermittent, clicking, engine running rough, etc. and about all we can say is to let it dry out for a few days and start spraying everything you can get to, electrically speaking, with WD-40 to chase the moisture away.

It's just that water and TJs are a sometimes problematic combination. Some days you'll reach the other side without a problem, others you're gonna stall out and have to be towed out... and give it time, often even a few days, to dry out so all the sensors and other doo-dads can start working again.

But then I'm a desert Jeeper, we have to carry our own water with us and my few water crossings always gave me a minor headache afterwards.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.