Water-proofing the Jeep...console, upholstery, etc. Let's chat. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water-proofing the Jeep...console, upholstery, etc. Let's chat.

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 05-12-2007, 05:02 PM   #1
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Water-proofing the Jeep...console, upholstery, etc. Let's chat.

It seems to me that waterproofing a wrangler would be beneficial. I've seen lots of guys flood the interior, nearly up to the console.

But even if you're not that extreme, you've probably been through a down-poor before and forgot to put the top up. I'm guilty of that one myself.

So, has anyone ever water-proofed their jeep to the point that you could leave it out in the rain and not have any problems with it? Including the seats, console, electronics, etc. I think it would be neat knowing that the only problems I could have coming back to a wet jeep would be a wet bottom. The wrangler is already one of the most rugged vehicles made, so why ont improve upon that even more?

Just curious to know what others have done to block rain/water.

Cheers!

-Brandon

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Romans 12:5 | 1 Peter 3:15 | Matthew 9:37-38
bman9089 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 05:25 PM   #2
4x4WranglerSE

Well if you're that worried about it getting wet, leave the top on. Otherwise you could take the carpet out and rhino line the floor and leave the drain plugs out, and get a couple vinyl seat covers to keep water out
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club member #100
Jeep drivers who dig Country Music member #20
4x4WranglerSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

alright, there's a start.

I'm not worried about it getting wet. The only thing I'm concerned about is the console since it seems that rain can screw up the insides of it.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money." -- Alexis de Tocqueville

“Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it” -- Mark Twain

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 05-12-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
Bill_Dunnigan
Captain Awesome

2005 LJ Wrangler 

as for the dash, sealant could be used on all the crevases and the bottom could be patched up, the radio can be cover with some type of folding cover, the only issue is the vents
2008 KK - Wife's Grocery Getter!
Bill_Dunnigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 06:51 AM   #5
Combatsylvania

Im slowly weather proofing mine...

so far i just have the carpet out, and rear drains pulled.. I fold ther fonr seats forward with the top up to keep them dry,..

however, im soon to own a pair of bestop seat covers.. and the wife of a fella i work with is making me a dash cover.. it will cover the whole dash, it will snap on to buttons on the dash, and hand off the front,.. she is sewing in a clear vinyl window for the gauge cluser.. that way i can drive with it on and not worry about mud and water on the radio.. i still need to figure out what to do with the steering column, but other than that.. ill be good to go.

it wont help me if i submerge, but I dont wheel like that anyways.. (anymore)

[URL="http://www.combatsylvania.com"]http://www.combatsylvania.com[/URL]
Combatsylvania is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 07:43 AM   #6
stevensinger

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds like a good Idea, I will be watching this thread. I just got soft doors to keep with my on my weekends to the shore. Just in case it rains. I hate having my top on in the summer time.
2006 Rubicon Unlimited Khaki: AUTO, 4:11 D44/D44, REBB /w Mono tubes, Rancho front stabilizer, 31 x 9.5 LT245/75R16 MTRs, Stock 16in Moab Wheels, Olympic Reverse-A-Bars,KC Daylighters on windshield brackets, Garmin Nuvi GPS, Pioneer Sound, 3A fire extinguisher, Line-X interior...

www.stevensinger.org <-- Photography website

Hello, my name is Steve and I am a Jeepaholic.

LJ Owners Member 155
Rubicon Owners Member 123
New Jersey Jeepers Member 44
stevensinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:29 AM   #7
GringoLoco

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I think the biggest (most expensive) problem people run into is killing the clock spring in the steering column. I've been trying to think of a good way to waterproof that for a while, but haven't really took the initiative to even locate it and get a better idea of how to go about it.
YELLOW Jeep Club Member #5606
13 mpg - edit: 12 mpg
No hi-lift on the hood (yet)
Odd noises
Still can't get it to take off from a treadmill....
GringoLoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Scotch740
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GringoLoco
I think the biggest (most expensive) problem people run into is killing the clock spring in the steering column. I've been trying to think of a good way to waterproof that for a while, but haven't really took the initiative to even locate it and get a better idea of how to go about it.
Where is the clock spring located? Down in the gap where the wheel meets the steering column? If that is the case I was thinking of making a plastic or rubber cover that covered that gap. Attach it to the wheel and have it cover the top and sides. Then as long as your wheel is upright it will cover the gap. Just not positive where the clock spring is located.
Scotch740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:56 AM   #9
GDog984
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I think my clock spring is messed up as well.. nothing on my steering wheel swants to work and from all the thread I have read it seems that that is the problem.
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:25 PM   #10
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Combatsylvania
Im slowly weather proofing mine...

so far i just have the carpet out, and rear drains pulled.. I fold ther fonr seats forward with the top up to keep them dry,..

however, im soon to own a pair of bestop seat covers.. and the wife of a fella i work with is making me a dash cover.. it will cover the whole dash, it will snap on to buttons on the dash, and hand off the front,.. she is sewing in a clear vinyl window for the gauge cluser.. that way i can drive with it on and not worry about mud and water on the radio.. i still need to figure out what to do with the steering column, but other than that.. ill be good to go.

it wont help me if i submerge, but I dont wheel like that anyways.. (anymore)
You should definitely post pictures of that when you get it done!

I keep waiting to hear about someone who's completely sealed their dash. Wouldn't think it would be that hard... not sure of the consequences though.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:27 PM   #11
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy789
I hate having my top on in the summer time.

It's pretty much a sin to own a soft top and not take it off on a nice day.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:28 PM   #12
bman9089
2005 TJ Wrangler 

also, if anyone has any pics of the clock spring, that would be perfect for this thread.

† Christian Jeep Club †
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:41 PM   #13
frankiejr

In '99 I was researching a car computer build-up for my Civic. It never got off the ground because I'm a dunce when it comes to electronics, but I did find a few options that might help with the radio.

First, waterproof head units. More expensive but the best bet for wet use. Not sure about audio quality but it seems like there are some nice ones out there. For examples, google pyle marine waterproof radio (Pyle even makes waterproof amps).

Second, there was a dash pocket for a marine in-dash radio mount. The one I really liked back then had a roll-front (kinda like a roll-top desk) but this is all I can find now: http://www.sailgb.com/c/waterproof_r...vers_housings/

Actually, if you're looking to solve some vehicle waterproofing problems, it might be a good idea to look into marine solutions. You might get some good ideas from there.

.frankiejr
frankiejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:45 PM   #14
PackMan

Location: Home of the Super Bowl XLI Champion Indianapolis Colts
They make covers for the entire cab of a Jeep. I have no idea why someone hasn't made a custom TJ dash / steering wheel cover out of cheap vinyl. Fold it up and tuck it under the seat, velcro it to your dash when parked outside.
[SIZE="1"][I]OME 2.5" (930 front, 942 rear), Daystar 3/4" front spacers, OME N66/N67 shocks, JKS adj track bars, JKS BBL, JKS BMML, really cool toddler booster seats,
Jeeperman bumpers and rockers, IPF 968, Cobra 75WX CB, sPod switches, Cheerios under the rear seat, Skid Row engine and steering box, MORE steering
shaft lift, crayon marks on the sport bar, Napa SC2928 steering stabilzer, Warn xd9000i winch, something that smells bad on the passenger side rear
fender that a child probably had something to do with, HiLift jack, a .357 Magnum S&W, and an Indianapolis Colts SBXLI World Champion window sticker. [/I][/SIZE]
PackMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2007, 09:47 PM   #15
frankiejr

Clockspring:

frankiejr is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.