water proofing jeep - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > water proofing jeep

Artec Holiday Sale!Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-GearROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 06-14-2006, 08:54 PM   #1
lokua
2000 TJ Wrangler 

water proofing jeep

well the jeep got soaked again today in a sudden downpour. i dont mind getting wet but i hate all the effort it takes to dry the jeep the next day. first thing i wanna ditch is the carpet and go with herculiner. i can handle that fine but i also feel like i need to waterproof some of the electronics at least a little. the blinker gets sketchy if it gets even a little wet. any advice on waterproofing the dash would be appreciated. i know there r a few types of dielectric grease out there for waterproofing electronics but i have no idea how to use em. thanks in advance
lokua

lokua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2006, 08:56 PM   #2
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No matter what you use on the electrical connections under the dash, stuff will go wrong if it gets wet. Your best bet is to fold your seats forward as far as you can and put a garbage bag, tarps and towels over your dashboard. Imo, the easiest thing is to just flip up your top in the rain (it's ok if the windows are out, it'll still keep the dash dry).

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2006, 09:17 PM   #3
abnormal
Platinum Member

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky529
No matter what you use on the electrical connections under the dash, stuff will go wrong if it gets wet. Your best bet is to fold your seats forward as far as you can and put a garbage bag, tarps and towels over your dashboard. Imo, the easiest thing is to just flip up your top in the rain (it's ok if the windows are out, it'll still keep the dash dry).
I keep a safari top folded under the seat so I always have it. It takes a minute to put up and take off. Get a rain gear jeep cover for overnight and whatnot. I love mine.

http://www.jeepcovers.com/
Unread 06-14-2006, 09:55 PM   #4
takefivetakes

don't worry about the blinkers... they're dry out and be "just fine." though mine still are "sketchy" when i first turn it on (it got SOAKED about 10 days ago)...

My thing is the seats... what, does everyone just buy some sort of seat cover to keep them dry?
Stock Wheels / Tires
takefivetakes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-14-2006, 09:58 PM   #5
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by takefivetakes
don't worry about the blinkers... they're dry out and be "just fine." though mine still are "sketchy" when i first turn it on (it got SOAKED about 10 days ago)...

My thing is the seats... what, does everyone just buy some sort of seat cover to keep them dry?
More garbage bags, but there is more to worry about than the clicker in the steering column. The clockspring, if it gets wet the fix is to set it in the sun, but it throws all sorts of codes, airbag light and cruise control won't work, etc. etc.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.