Water Proofing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water Proofing

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6

Unread 12-20-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
somaj

Water Proofing

Anyone have any good links to water proofing steps for my TJ. I hit a pretty deep hole while on the trail and stalled it out. She would'nt start for almost a whole day. Everything is fine now. I want to take some steps to keep this from happening again other than using my head and avoiding suspicious looking water.
thanks

somaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2005, 01:06 PM   #2
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

do a search for water 'proofing' as for the stall that was water in you distributor, dry it out and it will start, i learned to hard way to stay out of deep mud puddles, my last trip in one cost me a clutch, front brakes, new belt, both pinion seals, raditor, and all new fluids, and a tow home (hour and a half trip)
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2005, 01:14 PM   #3
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

To keep water from getting under the cap, run a bead of silicone under it. Do NOT seal the vent that is on top. Extend it with a breather hose.

The biggest problem with water is that it ruins sensors. It helps to put dielectric (sp?) grease in connections, but it will not prevent problems entirely. I've heard of some people using liquid elec tape to waterproof even more, but I've never done it myself.
Unread 12-20-2005, 01:20 PM   #4
DestructoJr
The Thin Blue Line

From CanukYJ in a post to me many years ago

Water on the coil or distributor will short out the connections and cause the engine to bog, stall, or misfire. Open the distributor cap and try sealing it with soft gasket maker and spray a bit of wd 40 inside to displace any water in there. Get some silicone sealeant (sold as ‘engine electrical sealer’ at most autostores) and spray the hell outta the coil, distributor and plug wires. Those are the prime points of shorting other than the computer (which should be sealed already).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marneaus
10 because you're awesomely conservative and bash all the liberals. hoorah!
www.offroadoverstock.com

War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
--John Stewart Mill--
DestructoJr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2005, 02:36 PM   #5
emcee5000
2007 JK Wrangler 

I have waterproofed the tranny (nv3550) and tcase and left the stock diff breathers alone. I have had water/muddy muck to the rockers many times and the Jeep sees 90 miles a day without incident from the trail to the highway. The best thing to do is not hit large or even semi deep pudles at high rates of speed (even though it is fun). It puts water in places it does not belong. Take it slow and steady and all of your intakes and seals will thank you.
emcee5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.