Water leaking into TJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water leaking into TJ

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 11-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #1
Lovemachine
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Water leaking into TJ

My father has an '06 TJ sport. On his way to work today, he noticed the on the floorboard mat and carpet on the driver side was wet.

After closer inspection, we found the carpet almost soaked with water. After pulling the carpet up, there was a small puddle of water above the floor drain.
The carpet near the firewall is dry. But the carpet around the door is a little wet. We're assuming the driver side door seal is letting water in. We haven't found any other signs of leakage anywhere else.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Lovemachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
bbradUSMC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I see you have a soft top. Check the door surround at the windshield. Mine was not seated properly and would let in water. Door seal is also a possibility as well as the header. Spray it down with water hose with someone sitting inside keeping an eye out for leaks.
One other possibility could be the drain in your cowl is clogged causing it to drain into the cab.
bbradUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 02:34 PM   #3
JStMarie
Web Wheeler

2006 TJ Wrangler 

I assume it rained the previous evening? Is it possible the door was left slightly ajar? I've had this happen rarely where the door was closed enough to latch, but not closed enough to seal. Get in the rig in the morning and wet feet.

The simplest explanation is usually the right one.
JStMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:06 PM   #4
silvertub2000
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem in my Tj, I would always find puddles on my floorboards, and I would always slam my door shut hard thinking it would be the door not properly closed, if you open the doors there's a plastic on door frame of jeep where it seals to door when closed, there's a foam in between the the plastic, what I did was run a bead of black silicone over top of the foam and plastic seam from top corner closest to windshield and most of the way down the inner door sile, I did this on both sides and it did the trick, however if your windshield frame is rotted it could be from that also, I'd suggest try that idea and see what it does worked great for mine. Good luck!
silvertub2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:28 PM   #5
Upland

1999 TJ Wrangler 

First thing to do is check out the ton of water leak posts on this forum. Start getting familiar with the multitude of possible ways Jeeps can leak. Then systematically start checking your Jeep. There is no simple answer.
Upland is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 03:58 PM   #6
JBTJ
JEEPer For Life

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemachine View Post
My father has an '06 TJ sport. On his way to work today, he noticed the on the floorboard mat and carpet on the driver side was wet.

After closer inspection, we found the carpet almost soaked with water. After pulling the carpet up, there was a small puddle of water above the floor drain.
The carpet near the firewall is dry. But the carpet around the door is a little wet. We're assuming the driver side door seal is letting water in. We haven't found any other signs of leakage anywhere else.

Has anyone else experienced this?
All the time. That's why I have no carpet or plugs in the floor board drain holes.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #7
Brimstone
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I had that problem, even with a hard top and full doors. Replaced both door outer seals, the windshield-to-top seal and the windshield-to-cowl seal and the leak went away.
Brimstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #8
Lovemachine
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the info. I'll definetely check the cowel.
Lovemachine is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.