Water leaking in around doors and tailgate? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water leaking in around doors and tailgate?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-07-2013, 02:55 PM   #1
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Water leaking in around doors and tailgate?

about a week ago I went out to my jeep the morning after a big storm and noticed ice frozen in the rear foot wells and under the front floor mats. Figured I left a door open slightly during the storm so I ignored it. Now we have had 2-3 more storms and every time I go out its like a lake in every foot well.

Sat inside with a flashlight while someone sprayed a hose around the edges of the doors/hard top/tub and found water leaking in these places. No pictures of my jeep but these are the areas.

I know there is other threads on this but I couldn't find any that had actual solutions. I've tried adding some foam/gaskets in there but it doesn't seem to help much. any ideas?

Unread 12-07-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
gmtech22
1998 ZJ 

It's leaking in the rear because there are gaps where the window meets the top. I wouldn't worry about the rear areas because running water over it with a water hose puts more water on it at one time than would be naturally possible. You need to have a nozzle at the end of the water hose that will spray water in droplets. My TJ will leak at the mucket seals when I ran water over it with a water hose but it won't leak in the rain. I had a leak at the seams in the rear where the seam tape was separating.
gmtech22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

The hose wasn't sprayed directly on the spot. Was sprayed over the area on a shower setting. Little droplets around the door areas but the rear was coming in pretty steady. I'm wondering if the rubber that the back window rests on is not fully attached at the bottom and as the water runs down the channel around the window if it collects and comes in there.
Unread 12-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #4
GOLENJEEPTJ
Running Secretly Amok!

2002 TJ Wrangler 

In those areas you posted on the front doors, I would say new door weather stripping is in order. I would also check the front drain hose under the hood cowl (could be plugged)? In the rear its basically the rubber weather stripping on the hardtop that the glass meets when closed and the rubber weather strip secured to the bottom of rear window.Good luck!
GOLENJEEPTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2013, 05:04 PM   #5
bobjp

As mentioned above, the typical leak is under the cowl, and it will fill your floor boards. You should consider checking that out too.
Unread 12-07-2013, 05:26 PM   #6
TJJeepJosh
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Seemed to be coming in more towards the back area so I have put aside checking under the cowl. might as well just to make sure though. Looks like a lot of new weathering stripping all around is needed..

Tags
help needed , seal leak , water leaking inside

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.