Water leak through Cowl Vent? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water leak through Cowl Vent?

** FALL SALE on all Jeep Optic Armor Windshields **ENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTIEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-25-2009, 07:54 PM   #1
josh2010
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Water leak through Cowl Vent?

I've been having water leak into the passenger side floorboard from behind the dash. I think the problem is with the seal on the cowl vent.

Any advice on how to remedy?

P.S. It's a 2003 Sahara, 5 spd.

josh2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 08:09 PM   #2
JBD

Are you sure it's not your heater core?
JBD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2009, 08:23 PM   #3
josh2010
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I'm pretty sure it's coming in through the seal of that vent on the hood right in the middle.

Why do you say that? How could I check?
Unread 05-26-2009, 05:11 AM   #4
mylt1

do you have AC and are you running it? if so, the drain tube could be clogged. not sure where it is on the wranglers but on my truck and several others its on the pass side.
mylt1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #5
josh2010
2003 TJ Wrangler 

It's not the A/C. We sprayed water on the jeep with a waterhose and found that it would start leaking when we sprayed it in the cowl vent.
Unread 05-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #6
erickpl
1997 TJ Wrangler 

josh, where in Alabama are you?

I'm in Huntsville and can probably help ya if you're close.

I had a leak on mine but it WAS the heater core area. I sealed it up as shown below.

If you reach up under the passenger footwell, you'll feel the other side of that heater core. If the spongy gasket it wet, that is your leak.

You may also have a leak by the air intake for the cabin. Seal that up as well.

I still have a SLIGHT leak in mine, but I looked at my seal under my windshield and it looks like something is a bit crooked. I'll be lowering my windshield this evening hopefully and try to get that straightened out a bit as well.

This is the A/C tube extension that was mentioned. I know it wasn't your diagnosis, but it helps to have it shown so people know what it looks like.

Green Jeep Member #155
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Member #35

Keep moving forward. But keep an eye on history, for if you don't, you are doomed to repeat it.
erickpl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-27-2009, 10:38 PM   #7
numchuck
pirate squirrel

2005 TJ Wrangler 

there is a black plastic "funnel assembly" bolted to the center of the firewall . . . water that gets into the vent intake is supposed to drain out here; but sometimes it gets clogged with leaves or pine needles . . . at the very bottom of this plastic piece is a flexible rubber boot . . . use your fingers or a screw driver, here, to dislodge any junk that may be stuck there

Last edited by numchuck; 05-28-2009 at 06:36 AM..
numchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-28-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
richla
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I had this problem, too. From what I hear, it's real common. If you search on "cowl", there is a cute step by step that someone put together, I found it real helpful, although now I can't seem to find it, but it consisted of removing your wipers, removing that "grate/screen" part of your hood that the wipers come through, and that will give you access to the drain.
I blew air down it from my shop vac, and that blew a lot of leaves and crap right out.
Good luck!
richla is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2012, 09:35 PM   #9
larrivee7
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by numchuck View Post
there is a black plastic "funnel assembly" bolted to the center of the firewall . . . water that gets into the vent intake is supposed to drain out here; but sometimes it gets clogged with leaves or pine needles . . . at the very bottom of this plastic piece is a flexible rubber boot . . . use your fingers or a screw driver, here, to dislodge any junk that may be stuck there
This is where my trouble lies I think. I had the cowl off last weekend and had my dad spray the Jeep. Mine looks okay where the intake is, that people have trouble with. I thought water was coming around from the heater core area, but when I laid upside down in the seat and stuck my head under the dash I could tell it was coming from up higher.

My funnel thing in the center is sitting a little cockeyed and has some play (more horizontal than up/down, but a little of both). Water seems to be getting around it and then down the firewall from there. Is it supposed to be "snapped" up into place? Or is there supposed to be something else on the top to direct the water in?

Here it is:

Under the hood, you can see it's getting around it.

Anybody that's dealt with this? Or who can see what yours looks like to compare?
larrivee7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.