Water Leak (not the regular FRONT leak) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Water Leak (not the regular FRONT leak)

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%NEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-18-2010, 04:37 AM   #1
jrs948
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Water Leak (not the regular FRONT leak)

I put a 2002 (or 04?) hard-top on my 98 TJ. I am getting a ton of water on the pass. side right above the REAR wheel well. From what I can identify from the water-marks, the water eventually makes its way to the carpeting right under the middle hardtop bolt. And I see the water on the side-carpeting there, not just directly beneath the bolt. I see water beeding at various spots along that ledge on the body (the ledge which the hard-top sits on). I also see water dripping right past the tailgate gap on the body on the pass. side. The water accumulates all along the area on the pass side where the wheel well meets the vertical part of the body. Some of that water goes directly towards the driver's side and puddles on the rear bed. A LARGE amount of water ends up behind the pass front seat (where a rear pass. would put their feet if they were sitting on the pass side of the bench seat. The MOST amount of water, and I mean completely saturated, is that area to the right of the pass. side seat. The water seems to dam (*I can never spell that word) up there bc there the floor panel raises up there.

NOTE: This isn't a cowell problem, w/ water coming from the front of the vehicle (Already fixed that ).

If anyone has suggestions, please lemme know.

**My thoughts:

I replaced the lift-gate hinges on the hard-top, could I have mis-angled the glass so as to create an opening?

Do I have the hard-top bolts too tight which is making the hardtop bow somehow?

Is the hard-top missing some sort of material where it rests on the body?

Final Thought: I am screwed and just have to deal with mildew smell all summer...

jrs948 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
ps49556n
2006 TJ Wrangler 

There is another thread almost identical to this...I think you should take the top off and reapply the weather seal.
ps49556n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.