Warn Hub Conversion Kit - Dana 44 vs. 30 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Warn Hub Conversion Kit - Dana 44 vs. 30

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 10-24-2008, 10:25 AM   #1
KendallWC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Warn Hub Conversion Kit - Dana 44 vs. 30

Can anyone clear up my confusion with the front Warn Hub Conversion Kit. I have and 04 Rubicon with 44s. I've read now several threads on the conversion kit not working on the 44 but it's not clear. Can anyone explain why if this is true?

Currently in the process of getting CJ7 front rotors machined per Warns instructions. Have yet to find any documentation stating Dana 44 as having an issue but after reading the threads and speaking with Warn...it seems there's some other work to be done to make this kit fit with a Dana 44.

KendallWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 10:31 AM   #2
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

That is surprising to me since the Rubicon's front Dana 44 uses all Dana 30 stuff out past the inner axleshaft. What did Warn say? You may want to send a PM to 'mrblaine' who may have a good handle on this.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 10:39 AM   #3
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KendallWC View Post
Can anyone clear up my confusion with the front Warn Hub Conversion Kit. I have and 04 Rubicon with 44s. I've read now several threads on the conversion kit not working on the 44 but it's not clear. Can anyone explain why if this is true?

Currently in the process of getting CJ7 front rotors machined per Warns instructions. Have yet to find any documentation stating Dana 44 as having an issue but after reading the threads and speaking with Warn...it seems there's some other work to be done to make this kit fit with a Dana 44.

If you're cutting down CJ-7 rotors, then you have the big 5.5 bolt circle hub kit.

From the center of the axle u-joint outwards, everything is the same between the D-30 and D-44 and there are no installation differences whatsoever as far as the hub kit is concerned.

The only difference you may encounter is related to the inner shafts. You will have to specifically order 30 spline shafts for the Rubicon axle because the diff (center section) is slightly wider and your inner axles will be slightly shorter on each side. You can get Super 30 shafts and trim a bit off if you get in a bind.

Finally, don't consider running the stock inners for very long. They will handicap the overall strength gains with their weaker yokes.

Just out of curiosity, why did you go with the big kit instead of the smaller one?
Unread 10-24-2008, 01:15 PM   #4
KendallWC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
That is surprising to me since the Rubicon's front Dana 44 uses all Dana 30 stuff out past the inner axleshaft. What did Warn say? You may want to send a PM to 'mrblaine' who may have a good handle on this.
Hi Jerry...I did speak with Warn and all he could tell me is that the conversion kit did not work with Dana 44 on the '04 Rubicon. I told him I was aware of the CJ7 front rotors and the modification there but was and still unclear on the axle portion. Still investigating.

Steven at Warn did refer me to Clemson Four Wheel Drive in South Carolina saying they had done their homework and had an added kit which included the front modified rotors. Well...I made the call to them and pretty much got from them the rotor modification. Really want to make sure so I'm not caught in the middle of the work.

And thanks for your response by the way.
Unread 10-24-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
KendallWC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Going with the big kit because I'm running 35s on my TJ. Warn...and others recommend this. Also, this TJ is equipped with the 5.5" Rubicon Extreme Duty lift.

For the inner shafts...you say not to run for very long. Is the Super 30 the right choice? Any further information with regards to the axle are greatly appreciated. At the very least a not for future consideration.
Unread 10-24-2008, 01:35 PM   #6
Jerry Bransford
Do it right or not at all

2004 TJ Wrangler 

To be sure, the Warn kit requires the big center hole in the rotor to be enlarged, to 3 1/16" if I recall correctly even for the standard D30. I wonder what rotor mod they're talking about for the D44. Are you looking at Warn's small hub or big hub kit? Personally I'm running Warn's small hub kit and their 27 spline axleshafts which is more than strong enough for 35" tires.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 02:29 PM   #7
KendallWC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Hmmm...the well gets deeper and deeper. : - )

Is the smaller kit really strong enough for 35" tires? Warn...on their website and others I spoke with said the larger was the recommended. It's too late but if I were to go with the smaller kit how does that hold up in the way of strength?

Inner diameter to 3 1/16? I will have to measure the new rotor inner diameter. The outer diameter is all that is shown to be modified. Warn shows to machine rotor O.D. to 11" and the hat to O.D to 7". That's pretty much it.

As always, thanks again for your reply.
Unread 10-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #8
Stu Olson
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

There are many of us who have for years....some longer than others....been running the small kit on 35" tires with locked diffs....and not just on fire road trails either.

I've never hesitated to recommend the small hub kit to TJ owners. I've seen nothing over the years that will change my mind, for what it is worth.
Stu Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 02:59 PM   #9
Jacon
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I hate to jump in mid-thread, but I eventually want to do this mod. How much do I need to start saving up? I have read a few write-ups/articles about the generic procedure, but have not seen a dollar value associated with any of them. I will definately be going with the small kit.

Thanks

Jake
Jacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2008, 03:12 PM   #10
mrblaine
Wizard of Brakes

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
To be sure, the Warn kit requires the big center hole in the rotor to be enlarged, to 3 1/16" if I recall correctly even for the standard D30. I wonder what rotor mod they're talking about for the D44. Are you looking at Warn's small hub or big hub kit? Personally I'm running Warn's small hub kit and their 27 spline axleshafts which is more than strong enough for 35" tires.
Again, if he's using the CJ-7 rotor, he has the big hub kit and it does not require the center hole to be enlarged. It requires the OD to be turned down so the 12" rotor will fit inside the cast sliders on the knuckle for the brakes to work. It gets turned down to the same diameter as the stock OEM rotor.

The only issue is inner shafts and no, the Super 30 is not the right choice for shafts for the inners, the regular Superior stock Alloy Replacements for the Rubi 44 are the correct ones.

Other than the inners, there is no difference between the D-30 and the D-44 when it comes to anything related to the hub kits, large or small bolt circles.
Unread 10-29-2008, 12:54 AM   #11
KendallWC
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your input. Very much appreciated.

-K
Unread 10-29-2008, 06:44 AM   #12
skoke70

check out this thread. It is another option that I would strongly consider befor droping all the $$ on the warn kit. (can be even cheeper if you get all the 1/2 ton stuff at the wrecking yard)

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...=reid+knuckles
1997 TJ SE, 175,000 5 speed. 8k on new engine. RE 4.5" long arm.1" PA BL, tera 4:1. 35"x12.5"x15" MTZ, fab tech front bumper, warn rear w/carrier. Currie rock sliders, D44 in rear w/ arb. 488 gears. TBT sports cage. currie tie rod.
skoke70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2008, 03:55 PM   #13
skoke70

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoke70 View Post
check out this thread. It is another option that I would strongly consider befor droping all the $$ on the warn kit. (can be even cheeper if you get all the 1/2 ton stuff at the wrecking yard)

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthrea...=reid+knuckles
You also get better brakes
1997 TJ SE, 175,000 5 speed. 8k on new engine. RE 4.5" long arm.1" PA BL, tera 4:1. 35"x12.5"x15" MTZ, fab tech front bumper, warn rear w/carrier. Currie rock sliders, D44 in rear w/ arb. 488 gears. TBT sports cage. currie tie rod.
skoke70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2009, 09:10 PM   #14
ET48
1986 CJ7 

Quote:
I have a chance to buy one of these Warn conversion kits retaining the 4.5" bolt pattern. I don't plan on upgrading the inner axle shafts, but you say that this kit is pretty strong? I was hoping to run 35"s in the future but I mainly want the conversion so I can unlock the front axle for highway driving. With a locker up front, that sure would be nice. Thanks for any info.

Last edited by ET48; 04-28-2009 at 05:15 PM..
ET48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #15
conrasm
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I'm also thinking about getting this kit (5 on 4.5"). I found a kit for a good price (almost half MRSP) to run on my XJ. I have a rubicon front axle with the stock shafts now and an ARB. I did have to cut down one of the axle shafts already due to clearance problems in the housing with the ARB.

I am using my 94 outer knuckes with the composite rotors, so I know I will need the full cast rotor. I was looking on napa's site and they had two different ones listed with different overall heights...one is 3 1/16" and the other is 3 13/64". Overall difference is 9/16", which is pretty significant for lug engangement and caliper centering on the rotor. Is this just a thicker casting with the same inner dimensions?

This height difference isn't listed for the premium or ultra premium rotors for 97-98 TJ (3 1/16"), starts in 99-03, gone again for 04-06 (only 3 1/16"). The 3 1/16" is listed for 99 XJ-01 XJ in full cast (same as TJ rotor), plus the composite was still being used on the 99's as that was the changeover year.

I guess my first question is, are there any differences between the older knuckles, like my 94, and the new XJ/TJ knuckles that used the different bearings/rotors? When I bought the bare housing from the guy, he gave me a new set of knuckles that he ordered, but I couldn't use them because they did NOT have anywhere to bolt the caliper in. Did the TJ's switch to a caliper mount bracket at some point or where these for a CJ D30 that used a bracket?

Napa lists the same calipers for my 94 as they do for all the TJ's.

And if someone could give me an idea of which rotors would work. I'm not sure why the height difference is there. I'm basing this on napa's website, so it's possible they could be wrong.

I'm just confused right now and I don't want to buy this hub kit if it's going to be a big headache to make it work. If anyone has any answers to my questions, I would be greatful!
'07 Ram 1500 quad cab
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance

Last edited by conrasm; 04-28-2009 at 10:30 AM..
conrasm is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.