"Warm up" my Headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > "Warm up" my Headlights

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
Jeep98Wrangler
1998 TJ Wrangler 

"Warm up" my Headlights

Hey ya'll,

It hasn't really been much of a bother since its a minor issue. For the past year after a cold night, I'll start up my Jeep to warm up before I go to work and the headlights will not turn on right way when I pull out the "light choke" switch, as I call it. After about 5 to 10 mins they will all of a sudden FLICK on.

It is as if the headlight wiring has to "warm up" as I stated in the title. I've done a little research on here and I've seen similar issues but haven't heard of a concrete solution. Maybe a relay? Idk.

Also, from my research I have done I found a trick to getting the lights to FLICK on faster (if I am in a hurry to leave the house). Hold back the brights switch while simultaneously pushing the headlight switch in and out repeatedly while also revving up to about 2,000 RPM. For some odd reason, this makes the lights come on.

Any thoughts?

Unread 01-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
DevilDogDoc
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Spend the $20 and buy a new switch. Mine did the same thing when it was cold out for months, then it started cutting out while driving.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.