Want lift 2006 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 2" to 2.5". Need lift system advice. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Want lift 2006 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 2" to 2.5". Need lift system advice.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 04-19-2007, 06:30 PM   #1
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Want to lift 2006 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 2" to 2.5". Need lift system advice.

I want to lift my 2006 Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited 2" to 2.5". I'm not staying low because of money reasons. I'm staying low because I want good safety and handling both on and off road with 33" tires. I fully expect to do some fender trimming. Actually, I plan to install the American Expeditionary Vehicles Highline Body Kit, and maybe also do some fender trimming. Being lifted 2" to 3" would be plenty of height for my 33" tires.

I'd prefer to keep the lift from 2" to 2.5" if possible. I also want a good comfortable ride and good articulation off road with sway bar disconnected. I'd need to keep my daily driver (only vehicle) dependable and reliable. So I don't want to be prone to breakdowns.

I've been looking at Rancho, Skyjacker, ARB, Teraflex, BDS, and Rubicon Express. I want the best performing 2" to 2.5" lift I can get. I don' t mind paying for it.

However, I have little or no idea which one. I've been seriously considering using OME 2" Springs and Shocks with some other brand of 2.5" to 3" lift kit system that has more hardware parts/pieces to increase articulation. Is there a brand that sells one kit that does it all? I don't mind paying for OME springs and shocks and also paying for another brand of lift system and then combining them, or just buying and using one brand system only. Either way is fine if I can get a good result.

Are heim joint control arms (short arm length) (available in some lift kits/systems) reliable? I've heard they are not reliable and give lots of problems. I've also heard they work great. I don't know. What about the ball joint type control arms? More reliable? Still give good flex?

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by CB3; 04-19-2007 at 06:44 PM..
CB3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2007, 07:05 PM   #2
tjwoo
2006 TJ Wrangler 

you should look into the ultimate OME kit from dpgoffroad.com

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/TJ_LJ_OME_Kits.htm
tjwoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2007, 07:09 PM   #3
Eagle-Mark

I used ZJ front and LJ rear springs from OME. Very nice stable ride and smooth ride like stock, with a load still get a good three inches. I added about two inch of spacer to the bumpstops and clear 33x11.20-16 (285x75-16) Swamper TRXus MT.
Eagle-Mark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
Roland's06RubiLJ
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Understand that with only 2.5" of lift you're just not going to get a lot of articulation, especially with the bump stops necessary to prevent heavy rubbing. (You didn't say but I assume you are planning on 12.50" wide 33's) There's just not enough room for that size tire with that lift to tuck up into the fender and then drop away for the vehicle. That being said, for your situation I would recommend some 1.5" coil spacers, some quality aftermarket shocks, quick disconnects, a quality body lift (like the JKS 1.25") and a 1" mml. The latter 2 items would allow for a quality "high clearance" t/c skid, like 33 engineering's "high clearance" skid...

http://www.rockcrawler.com/techrepor...skid/index.asp

This alone will give you an add'tl 2"-3" of ground clearance under your jeep. Amazing how many people lift there jeep only to lower the transfer case thus giving up the most valuable clearance. This set up will leave you with a reliable and very trail worthy rig.
Roland's06RubiLJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:01 PM   #5
DogHouse
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I here the OME is a great lift for that size. If you go AEV highline then you probably won't need the trimming. Rokmen also make a highline kit now.
DogHouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:14 PM   #6
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Well, I'm sure I can easily fit my 33 X 11.3" Cooper Discoverer ST tires will fit very well with 2" or 2.5" lift and the American Expeditionary Vehicles Highline body kit. A Highline Body Kit allows the use of 33" tires with no lift, assuming correct wheel backspacing and an aftermarket front sway bar that offers more tire clearance.

So I should have no problems with 33" tires. With some rear fender trimming it'd even take 35" tires with only a 2" or 2.5" lift and Highline Body Kit.

Highline Body Kit
http://www.aev-conversions.com/products/highline/

I also plan on using an Nth Degree Tummy Tucker for my high clearance transfer case skid plate because it requires less vehicle modifications (no motor or body lift needed) than other high clearance transfer case skid plates. So yes, I do plan on raising T-Case and skid plate, not lowering it.

Tummy Tucker high clearance (easier to install) transfer case skid plate.
http://nthdegreemobility.com/catalog...b27d2d0c444aae

And a Skid Row Engine and Tranny skid plate.
http://www.skidplates.com/engine_ski...s_97_06_TJ.htm

So all that said, I should have no problems using 33" X 11.3" tires with a 2" or 2.5" lift, considering the Highline Body Kit. Since I'd also gain gut clearance in the middle due to Tummy Tucker, I'll be 4" to 4.5" higher in the middle, but vehicle only being 2" to 2.5" higher. This with 33" tires, but it can also be done with 35" tires if some rear fender trimming done when installing the Highline Body kit.

However, I still need to figure out the best way to lift it 2" to 2.5" and get a good ride, decent articulation, and a reliable install that won't break down - considering this is my only vehicle.

Last edited by CB3; 04-19-2007 at 08:31 PM..
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:24 PM   #7
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

CB- I am currently running 285/75-16's (33x11.50's) on stock Moab wheels with an OME 2.5" spring lift. For now I have the bumpstops extended where I get no rubbing and good articulation. I had the lift on with 32's and recently upgraded to 33's and had been plotting my next move which would either be a 1" spacer on top of the springs, or a 1.25 inch BL, but I'm liking the height so well, I may just leave it as-is. I have a current pic with the lift and new tires in my sig line.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:30 PM   #8
CB3
Web Wheeler
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Looks good ^. Looks like mine actually. I have the same size tires that you do, but on stock wheels and stock Rubicon Unlimited 2006.

Bumpstops? You mean those rubber things the axle-frame hits when suspension bottoms out? You mean you extended those to prevent your tires rubbing your fenders when suspension compressed? Is that what you mean?
Unread 04-19-2007, 08:44 PM   #9
Xlr8n
1986 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3
Looks good ^. Looks like mine actually. I have the same size tires that you do, but on stock wheels and stock Rubicon Unlimited 2006.

Bumpstops? You mean those rubber things the axle-frame hits when suspension bottoms out? You mean you extended those to prevent your tires rubbing your fenders when suspension compressed? Is that what you mean?
If you are being serious, then yes the bumpstops pull out of the cups, then you can unbolt the cup and install a spacer to whatever length you need to keep the tires out of the flares. You can buy some premade spacers, but I wanted them to be exact, so I used a 9"x2" polyurethane boat trailer roller and cut proper length spacers to keep my tires 1/2" away form my flares. Obviously this reduces articulation, but with front and rear lockers, it isn't as big of an issues if you lift a tire a bit more often when wheeling.
I could actually take off my spidertrax wheel spacers and get the tires to stuff much further and increase travel, but I like the wide stance and stability they offer.
Xlr8n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.