Want to convert from Hard Top to Soft Top-What do I Need - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Want to convert from Hard Top to Soft Top-What do I Need

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 07-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
explorerlyon

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Want to convert from Hard Top to Soft Top-What do I Need

I have a hard top on by 05 Unlimited. I want a soft top. After reading through all the fourms, looking at the Mopar (OEM) top, Viking, etc, I am a bit confused on what I need to make the conversion.

1. Windshield headder-Best I can determine is I need one

2. Door surrounds--Don't understand what these are and if I need them.

3. If I order a factory top from Jeep, does it include the headder, door surrounds, etc?

Thanks

explorerlyon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-26-2009, 05:05 PM   #2
Muddybrit
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Do not need a header for any full soft tops only the bikini types. Door surrounds are plastic pieces that screw along the roll bar and down to the tub so that your doors can seal against something firm. 5 mins to fit. Several different types and brands of soft top, an OEM one is no doubt the best and can be found on craigslist etc and again under an hour to attach and then about 5 mins to put up take down.
The dealer will probably sell you a complete kit but at a cost.
Unread 07-26-2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

A factory soft top should come with a built in header that latches just like your hard top does and you do need door surrounds.

The pictures below illustrate how the surrounds fit in the door frame and shows how the soft top fits into them. Also good for a tight seal with your doors. (First pic shows a bikini top on, but you get the idea).

Unread 07-27-2009, 05:23 AM   #4
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

If yours was a hardtop only model, you will also need the bracket for the tailgate bar and brackets for the rollbar to attach the softtop.
Neil F. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 09:31 AM   #5
Bishop Creek
2005 LJ Wrangler 

And make sure that you get LJ, Unlimited, door surrounds as they have a special pin on the top for the Sunrider feature that regular TJ surrounds don't have.
Unread 07-27-2009, 10:48 AM   #6
goofus
2005 LJ Wrangler 

If you get a factory soft top kit, you will get EVERYTHING needed. That is your best bet and will be the best fit. I frequently see them on eBay for fair prices.

If piecing a factory top together:

Top itself plus windows
Door surrounds (and as mentioned the LJ ones have a pin for the Sunrider option- you could get away without if you don't plan on flipping up the front)
Hinge brackets (attach to cage- they're under the padding and just the tabs stick out)
Tailgate bar and retaining brackets (screw into tub just to the side of the tailgate on the top)
2000 SE
1997 XJ
85 FJ-60
goofus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-27-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Unfortunatly not all sellers (ebay and others) always include everything (or know what to sell) but at least you will know what to ask about now.
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:50 PM   #8
MintJulep
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I am wanting to do the same thing on my 91. She is a Hard top only. Just not sure what I need to buy. Would love some advise.
MintJulep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #9
jeepn4life92
1997 TJ Wrangler 

If you go with a top from bestop, it comes with the door surrounds as part of the kit and you need to purchase a drill in or removable header bar, but everything other than the header bar will come with what you buy, and its great quality, I have a repkacement style top from bestop and my brother has a trek top and both are top notch stuff, I also have a bikini top from them
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:06 PM   #10
RDaniel2405

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintJulep View Post
I am wanting to do the same thing on my 91. She is a Hard top only. Just not sure what I need to buy. Would love some advise.
Click here >>> http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jeep_soft_top/ Also, my opinion is the Bestop Supertop NX.
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:05 PM   #11
smokeybear
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Consider the Bestop Trektop. It comes complete. I just went from a hardtop to the Trektop. Much much quieter than the Bestop Supertop I had on the YJ. No framework to futz with.
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:21 AM   #12
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MintJulep View Post
Note this is the 97-06 TJ section. Your 91 YJ top is totally different from a TJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.