wandering steering and caster angle questions - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > wandering steering and caster angle questions

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-12-2014, 06:51 PM   #31
Shiftee

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxracer801
I don't believe I do have other issues than my caster. I self checked the Toe and it was correct according to my Internet finding. I've done a dry steer test and ball joints and bushings look good. I don't have a drop pitman arm. - (To my knowledge) My brother in law who is a diesel mechanic has been dumb founded with it also. So with a little research I truly believe my culprit is my caster. How do I check my caster angle myself?
Someone else can probably weigh in and explain exactly why or prove that it was just coincidental but my steering improved the most when I changed the factory tie rod. Perhaps mine was rusting out internally or something but I could grab the factory rod and flex it both ways. My mechanically uneducated theory would be that small bumps or uneven road would cause it to flex and thus momentarily alter the toe...causing a little bump steer. Who knows, maybe the additional 20 pounds of tie rod made the difference, but after I changed that rod it iced my wandering/bump steer issues. I also bought that lifetime alignment deal from Firestone. Setting the toe myself isn't difficult but I wanted to get all my measurements anyway and like jerry said there's no way I could have done that at home. A single alignment was $75,they had a special on the lifetime for $125. Figured it wasn't a bad deal. Now anytime I change a tre, break something etc... I don't even have to worry about it. Plus when I get the spare change for adjustable arms it will make the process of getting my caster right that much easier.

One other thing, do you have an aftermarket damper/stabilizer? If so make sure it's not charged. For example Rancho's rs7407 is charged and will continuously push on your steering. If you hit a bump it will shift left but even on level ground it makes the vehicle a nightmare to drive.

Like I said my tie rod change may have just been coincidental and may not be based in any mechanical truth. Worked for me though.

Shiftee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #32
tjitis
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Fixed my problem, kept the stock control arms. Posted here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f9/ju...l#post21194985 Hope it helps you out.
tjitis is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.