wandering steering and caster angle questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > wandering steering and caster angle questions

ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.comAlloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 03-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #16
Mike5087

1999 TJ Wrangler 

No drop pitman. 2.5 Old Man Emu lift. JKS adj. TB. Everything else as far as steering goes is stock.

Was in the process of saving up for adj control arms as well as upgraded steering components and want get this little wobble under control.

Unread 03-11-2014, 07:26 PM   #17
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike5087 View Post
Would you say caster plays a part in my tj sorta "wandering" I don't have DW. I have a slight shimmy that comes and goes every once and a while. My bigger issue is a floating feeling on the road.
caster could be a problem. have you had it aligned to see what the specs are? if so, post them up.

Here's a discussion on measuring caster. I run 6.5 caster with 33s on the OME lift, set using adjustable upper and lower control arms.

Quote:
No drop pitman. 2.5 Old Man Emu lift. JKS adj. TB. Everything else as far as steering goes is stock.

Was in the process of saving up for adj control arms as well as upgraded steering components and want get this little wobble under control.
The JKS front track bar will hit the tie-rod or the diff cover, depending on the generation of bar, without 2" front bumpstop extensions. So that isn't helping your situation at all. You need to rectify that situation. Here's a summary on the clearance issues. Here's how I set up my front track bar at full bump with a V8 ZJ tie-rod and 1.375" front bumpstop extensions.

while we're on the subject, you also need to check the rear track bar clearances. I ran into some major issues back there as well, here's a summary on that. You may find reading through my build thread useful since I've already worked through these bugs....
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 07:45 PM   #18
Mike5087

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Awesome. Will dive into those when I get some downtime at work. Appreciate the post!
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #19
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Would you say caster plays a part in my tj sorta "wandering" I don't have DW. I have a slight shimmy that comes and goes every once and a while. My bigger issue is a floating feeling on the road.
In my opinion that's the problem with mine. Then again I have factory control arms. Do you have aftermarket control arms? Adjustable or fixed?
motoxracer801 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:05 PM   #20
Mike5087

1999 TJ Wrangler 

I have factory now. Next on my list was adj arms
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #21
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I have factory now. Next on my list was adj arms
Mostly everyone I have seen that is complaining about wandering on the road has had our same setup. Which is "x" amount of lift with stock control arms. So I belive they have everything to do with our jeeps wandering.
Unread 03-11-2014, 11:31 PM   #22
Knuckelhead
AFSOC Retired

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiftee View Post
Your caster is not likely to be the issue. I'm running 33x12.50's with a 4" lift, my camber is at 4.6
If your camber is 4.6, you've got some serious problems... IMO
Unread 03-12-2014, 05:38 AM   #23
Shiftee

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckelhead
If your camber is 4.6, you've got some serious problems... IMO
caster. Don't know how that got in there. I have zero problems anymore. Adjustable arms are on the to do list but it's driving fine for now.
Shiftee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 07:22 AM   #24
Unlimited04
This post/info=my opinion

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Quote:
caster. Don't know how that got in there. I have zero problems anymore. Adjustable arms are on the to do list but it's driving fine for now.
caster does involve some personal preferences around drive-ability.... just because you like 4.6 caster, doesn't mean everyone else does.

I started at 4.5 and eventually moved to 6.5 caster in 0.5 increments, with 33s, and I very much prefer 6.5. 4.5 was scary by comparison. Jeep wandered all over lanes and followed every little defect in the road, plus return to center sucked...needed two hands on the wheel and a butt clinching the seat @ 65mph. With 6.5, I can hold one hand on the wheel @ 80mph.
Unlimited04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #25
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

^^ agreed
Unread 03-12-2014, 08:22 AM   #26
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I've already had two seats re covered due to tearing them from excessive butt clinching in my jeep.. yeah... it's that scary to drive
Unread 03-12-2014, 11:24 AM   #27
Shiftee

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unlimited04 View Post
caster does involve some personal preferences around drive-ability.... just because you like 4.6 caster, doesn't mean everyone else does.

I started at 4.5 and eventually moved to 6.5 caster in 0.5 increments, with 33s, and I very much prefer 6.5. 4.5 was scary by comparison. Jeep wandered all over lanes and followed every little defect in the road, plus return to center sucked...needed two hands on the wheel and a butt clinching the seat @ 65mph. With 6.5, I can hold one hand on the wheel @ 80mph.
I don't like my caster... I'm simply stating that I had massive steering issues before and explaining what I did to stop them. I don't have good return to center now, but I can hold one hand on the wheel at 80mph as well. Not recommending 4.6 caster to anyone. Simply stating that if the OP has issues other than his caster there are things he can do to improve his situation.
Shiftee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 11:43 AM   #28
motoxracer801
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't like my caster... I'm simply stating that I had massive steering issues before and explaining what I did to stop them. I don't have good return to center now, but I can hold one hand on the wheel at 80mph as well. Not recommending 4.6 caster to anyone. Simply stating that if the OP has issues other than his caster there are things he can do to improve his situation.
I don't believe I do have other issues than my caster. I self checked the Toe and it was correct according to my Internet finding. I've done a dry steer test and ball joints and bushings look good. I don't have a drop pitman arm. - (To my knowledge)
My brother in law who is a diesel mechanic has been dumb founded with it also. So with a little research I truly believe my culprit is my caster. How do I check my caster angle myself?
Unread 03-12-2014, 11:47 AM   #29
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is nearly impossible to get an accurate (!) caster angle on your own. Take it to an alignment shop for that particular angle measurement.

Coolest offroad magazine ever! CRAWL Magazine

When you have a choice, buy American.

TJ
HOLIDAY THEMED GIVEAWAY!
Jerry Bransford is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2014, 12:37 PM   #30
robncar
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
It is nearly impossible to get an accurate (!) caster angle on your own. Take it to an alignment shop for that particular angle measurement.
Oh c'mon Jerry... you can pick up a Hunter Alignment Quick Check Machine for about $21K

robncar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
caster setting , death wobble , lift kit advice , wandering

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.