Wandering Jeep Wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Wandering Jeep Wrangler

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-08-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
hrjaw

Wandering Jeep Wrangler

Let me start at the beginning. I have a 1997 TJ with a 4.0 and an auto with Approx. 155,000 miles. The Wrangler is mostly stock. New ball joints last year, all new tires at the beginning of this year, going from 30x9.5x15 to 31x10x15 b.f.g. all-terrain. Same tires I have been running since 30,000 miles. About 6-7 months ago, I noticed that the jeep starts to “wander”. If you are driving down the road, it seems that I have to constantly always correct the steering. If you hit a bump in the road, then you really have to be careful because you will have to correct the steering as well. I had the trac bar replaced a month ago and had the tires re-mounted and balanced and rotated as well. At the same time I had new sway bar bushings installed front and rear, along with JKS quick disconnect sway bar disco’s. I had the mechanic go through the front end and he says everything is tight with no play. Still having this damn wandering problem and really don’t know where to go from here. I am in the process of installing the Old Man Emu 2.5 lift kit, but before I do that, I want to take care of this issue. At the moment I have the Edelbrock IAS shocks on there.

Some of the things I am contemplating are:
Rear trac bar
Control arms
Maybe something wrong with the tires?

After this I am stumped. I know you can do an adjustment on the steering box, but I am not convinced that it is the box.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. Hopefully someone has some ideas.
Roger

Unread 10-08-2007, 06:30 AM   #2
jmreagan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would make 100% sure that your tires are balanced perfectly! A 0 to 0 balance is what you need to have them balanced to. Almost is not good enough. I would start with the tires and then go to alignment if that doesn't fix your problem. You need to take it to a shop where they are competent enough or will just take the time to do this correctly. Sometimes $10 in the tech's pocket is enough incentive to get the job done right. Your front toe in should be adjusted to in-between 1/8th to 1/16th of an inch. Good luck!
03' Sport, 4.0L, 3.73, 5 speed, D44/D30, 3 inch coil/shock lift, RE track bar, Tera disco's, 35x12.50's Dunlap Mud Rovers MT's, Spidertrax spacers, Viper 5000 alarm, Tuffy console, LOD extreme bumper/tire carrier and front bumper, A-Z rockers, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, JKS Rear UCA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ
Sorry master, Dont whips me, I's do betta next time..
jmreagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2007, 06:33 AM   #3
hrjaw

The guy i take the Jeep to is very very good at what he does, which is mostly modified 4x4's. I will ask him to do the mount and balance again, as he would not have an issue with it. I have not done an alignment on it since i had the tires installed earlier in the year. Maybe I should look into getting another one done?
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:31 AM   #4
jmreagan
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrjaw
The guy i take the Jeep to is very very good at what he does, which is mostly modified 4x4's. I will ask him to do the mount and balance again, as he would not have an issue with it. I have not done an alignment on it since i had the tires installed earlier in the year. Maybe I should look into getting another one done?
Yes, get the tires balanced perfectly, 0 to 0 and check the front toe-in. You can check the front toe-in by going to 4x4xplor.com and reading the write up. Then as a follow up you can have your mechanic double check it.
03' Sport, 4.0L, 3.73, 5 speed, D44/D30, 3 inch coil/shock lift, RE track bar, Tera disco's, 35x12.50's Dunlap Mud Rovers MT's, Spidertrax spacers, Viper 5000 alarm, Tuffy console, LOD extreme bumper/tire carrier and front bumper, A-Z rockers, AA SYE, Tom Woods DS, JKS Rear UCA's.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKiowaTJ
Sorry master, Dont whips me, I's do betta next time..
jmreagan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-08-2007, 07:36 AM   #5
hrjaw

will do. thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.