Volvo 2spd fan relay and fan question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Volvo 2spd fan relay and fan question

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueBest deals on Yukon Gears at JeepHut.comNeed Ace Engineering products? JeepHut has you covered.

Unread 06-04-2013, 01:57 PM   #1
acro-ii
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Volvo 2spd fan relay and fan question

I am going to be hitting up a local pull a part in the next couple of days to grab the infamous relay and the fan from a 1995 Volvo 850. What tools will I need? I have never been to a pull a part before.

Thanks.

acro-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:41 PM   #2
acro-ii
1997 TJ Wrangler 

In case anyone else wants to know on a 1995 Volvo 850, there are 2 10mm bolts up top on the fan shroud that hold it to the radiator. Unscrew them and the entire shroud/fan combo will pop out. Take a pair of cutters to cut the relay harness, and you are good to go.
acro-ii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks, but no one cares. As it's a downgrade from the factory setup. Most here want to upgrade their JEEPS.
JBTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBTJ View Post
Thanks, but no one cares. As it's a downgrade from the factory setup. Most here want to upgrade their JEEPS.
Then why havnt you upgraded yours?
willis36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:12 PM   #6
SlackJaw
baby jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

look at Willis36 poasting in tech! you go girl
SlackJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:21 PM   #7
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by willis36 View Post
Then why havnt you upgraded yours?
My stock cooling system doesn't need upgrading.
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:35 PM   #8
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My stock cooling system doesn't need upgrading.
You may think it is a downgrade and thats perfectly fine. But why be rude with the "nobody cares". If thats the way you feel, why not just say nothing?
And for the OP, i have ran a volvo fan on my jeep for almost ten years with no problems, you will be fine, regardless of what all the jeep forum e-fan haters will lead you to believe
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You may think it is a downgrade and thats perfectly fine. But why be rude with the "nobody cares". If thats the way you feel, why not just say nothing?
And for the OP, i have ran a volvo fan on my jeep for almost ten years with no problems, you will be fine, regardless of what all the jeep forum e-fan haters will lead you to believe
You are absolutely correct. That was a poor choice of words. Should of left it with thanks anyway, but electric fans do not cool any better than mechanical fans.
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:48 PM   #10
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You are absolutely correct. That was a poor choice of words. Should of left it with thanks anyway, but electric fans do not cool any better than mechanical fans.
You are exactly right. I personally can not stand the sound of a mechanical fan on ANY vehicle, and with the fan setup i have i have never came close to overheating in the hot Oklahoma summers. To each his own.
Unread 06-06-2013, 03:52 PM   #11
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You are exactly right. I personally can not stand the sound of a mechanical fan on ANY vehicle, and with the fan setup i have i have never came close to overheating in the hot Oklahoma summers. To each his own.
Right you are, electrical fans are annoying when they turn on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off. Good thing my mechanical fan is quite and keeps my JEEP nice and cool in my super hot Texas summer heat.
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #12
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Right you are, electrical fans are annoying when they turn on and off and on and off and on and off and on and off. Good thing my mechanical fan is quite and keeps my JEEP nice and cool in my super hot Texas summer heat.
I agree with that statement as well. Thats why i have a PWM varible controller that does not cycle on and off. It runs the fan most of the time at about 10%, then ramps up and down the speed as necessary to control the
temp. Unless its very hot out, i hardly ever even hear my fan running. And if i recall, the last couple summers, Ok has rivalled the heat of Texas, if in fact, not been hotter.
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:00 PM   #13
freeskier93
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Quieter just means it isn't pulling as much air. Ever hear the e-fan on a Mercedes? Sounds like a jumbo jet at full speed, no different than the mech fan on the Jeep when fully engaged. Possibly a bit louder.

CU Boulder Aerospace Engineering
freeskier93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:02 PM   #14
JBTJ
Web Wheeler
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I agree with that statement as well. Thats why i have a PWM varible controller that does not cycle on and off. It runs the fan most of the time at about 10%, then ramps up and down the speed as necessary to control the
temp. Unless its very hot out, i hardly ever even hear my fan running.
Hmm, good deal then. So when it's hot it's running all the time like my mechanical fan is?
Unread 06-06-2013, 04:06 PM   #15
willis36

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeskier93 View Post
Quieter just means it isn't pulling as much air. Ever hear the e-fan on a Mercedes? Sounds like a jumbo jet at full speed, no different than the mech fan on the Jeep when fully engaged. Possibly a bit louder.
I work at a Mercedes dealership, i hear them all the time! My fan is actually the same fan used on some of them. My point is my controller only runs the fan as hard as it needs to, nothing more. When my fan is needed to run full out, yes it is very loud. Im not hear to argue over mechanical vs. electric. Like i said, to each his own.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.