volume and radio controls on tj's steering wheel! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > volume and radio controls on tj's steering wheel!

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 09-07-2008, 12:22 PM   #1
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

volume and radio controls on tj's steering wheel!

in the back of the wheel there are two ovals that will easily serve this purpose and i think the wheel from a grand cherokee or a liberty has them and they look like ours.so any idea if it can be done?has anyone did it!!!????

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Rugby_3
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Depending on the radio that you have in your Jeep and the year it might just be a plug and play option. I have thought about doing this several times as well. If you have a friendly neighborhood dealer they will help answer your questions as well. I know my dealership if very nice and helps with almost anything. They will also bring out drawings for you too. Also you might want to give jeepsrus a email because they sell tons of Jeep parts from salvage yards.
Rugby_3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 01:41 PM   #3
jeep2008
2004 TJ Wrangler 

well i don't really think its going to be that easy...anyone any ideas??

No Jeep right now
04TJ (SOLD)
01TJ (SOLD)
jeep2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 02:19 PM   #4
heapashifter
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I just ran out side and looked at mine. I also have a 01 Dodge Durango R/T that has the radio controls there. So there's another option if you need the buttons. I doubt it's just a simple plug and play though.
heapashifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 02:20 PM   #5
durango-bob
2000 TJ Wrangler 

The Grands use a body computer to decipher the multiplexed signal from the steering wheel and then it tells the radio what to do. To add this feature to a TJ, you will need a doner Grand Cherokee's body computer, wiring harness, steering column and steering wheel. (Oh, and the radio, too.) Once you do that, you will probably need to rewire other components to get everthing to work right with the new harness.
durango-bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 02:29 PM   #6
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

I plan to do this with my TJ some time this year...

I have a 2001 so the wheel is different so the first step for me is to confirm that I can put the new wheel into the old Jeep. If the splines are different I may need to go further downstream on the parts list and change the column.

The next step is the clock spring from the Grand Cherokee will need to be fitted to have enough wires available for the Cruise + Audio Controls.

Somewhere in the middle of the project I'll try to fit 2003 Cruise Control.

The next step is using a universal interface to interperet the signals coming out of the steering wheel. The one I have chosen is programmable and works on Infra-Red. You mount a transmittor up on the roll cage aimed at the aftermarket head unit and it pretends to be the headunits remote control.

Therefore, ANYTHING that was controlled by IR you can now do.

So I intend to have two, maybe three universal adapters with relays and a toggle switch to select which one gets the signals.

For example

Mode 1 = Audio Controls (my Alpine)
Mode 2 = Navigation Controls (my Garmin)
Mode 3 = Maybe find a way of integrating IR control with my Carputer, or use to control my Satellite Radio

Making it all work with a factory audio system I have not considered... I threw my factory head unit out a LONG time ago
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 02:38 PM   #7
grogie
M-F: Cell Block #4533

2006 TJ Wrangler 

There was a write-up about a year ago that someone did this. I looked for it but didn't locate the thread. As I recall, the guy found a wiring harness and the buttons out of a ZJ (as Oman indicated).

Red Jeep Club #345
2006 TJ Sport
2004 KJ Limited
2013 Off-Road Trailer

grogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 05:18 PM   #8
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

you can also get kits that will allow you to use your factory wheel for aftermarket radios, it uses a small IR signal just like the radios remote

Looking to swap my 4" springs for your 2-3" springs. PM for details.
RnEmOvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 06:39 PM   #9
ptwelve
1998 TJ Wrangler 

seems the easiest way would be to incorporate an ir remote into the existing steering wheel.
Unread 09-07-2008, 06:50 PM   #10
Zachs
2000 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like the easiest way would be to lean your fat ***'s forward and turn the knob. REALLY GUYS...its a JEEP!
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:27 PM   #11
TJ Rat
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zachs View Post
Seems like the easiest way would be to lean your fat ***'s forward and turn the knob. REALLY GUYS...its a JEEP!
lol.. some people like their donuts.

Here is a link to an IR unit. I used this manufacturer so I could use the steering wheel controls in my F150 to operate my Kenwood head unit.

http://www.installationproducts.com/...2&category=159

Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional.
Mud is a Requirement Either Way!
TJ Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:32 PM   #12
Vandano
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Certain aftermarket stereos sell units that allow for steering wheel mounted controls, perhaps you could adapt these controls into a factory steering wheel and make it look stock.

All about how much money you have and the time you have to spend
Vandano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 08:41 PM   #13
SportTJ4x4
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I will be crawling this thread. I would like to do this too. Keep us posted if you find out anything on how to do it.
Unread 09-07-2008, 09:04 PM   #14
Niceface
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
LMAO....
Niceface is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-07-2008, 10:15 PM   #15
Oman Jeep
Web Wheeler

Quote:
Seems like the laziest way would be to lean your fat ***'s forward and turn the knob!

Personally, I'd like to go through the trouble of figuring it out and making it work and just adding one more improvement to my Jeep.

REALLY GUYS.... it's a Project Car!

What ever happened to modding for the fun of it???
Oman Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.