violent vibration and knocking sound. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > violent vibration and knocking sound.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-21-2008, 07:29 AM   #1
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

violent vibration and knocking sound.

for the past couple of weeks, i've noticed a vibration in the steering wheel right at 43mph. friday i was towing a small boat, and man, it was really bad when i was towing it. at other speeds, there is no vibration whatsoever.

i figured it was the tires out of balance, as i've had this issue before on other vehicles, so i brought it to get balanced. i actually had it done twice, because i didn't trust the first place.

there is no difference. the other thing i notice is that when i'm making a left hand turn, and i hit ANY bump, even a rock in the road, i hear and feel a knock coming from the left side of the front end. i feel the knock in the floorboard of the jeep.

my jeep is a 2005, with only 11k miles on it. i've looked underneath, and i don't see anything loose, but i'm no mechanic. it does have a 2.5 inch lift on it, and i inspected the shocks, etc. no dice.

any idea what could be causing the vibration and the knocks?

majkowskid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2008, 07:46 AM   #2
BWR
2008 JK Wrangler 

driveline.......... either unbalanced or you've got some u-joints going bad. Only other item(s) I've run into with the same situation (on a truck, not a jeep) is the trackbar bushings being shot (ovaled) and would produce a very violent shake only at some speeds & very intermittantly.

If it aint related to God, guns, women, wheelin, or music then it aint worth much talking about it is it?
BWR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2008, 02:35 PM   #3
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well, i just got back from the stealership. it's going in wednesday morning for inspection. it's still under warranty, so they're going to look at it. i can't imagine u joints going bad in 3 yrs and only 11k miles. this thing is like brand new!

i took a tech for a ride in it, and at first it didn't do it. we were on an access road to the highway... then, BAM. it started vibrating, and hard. usually, i hit the brakes to slow down a couple mph, and it's gone. but he told me to maintain my speed, and oh my God. it got so bad i almost lost it on the road. i slammed on the brakes, and the vibrating didn't stop this time until i came to a complete stop. the tech was freaking out. he grabbed onto the oh Spit handle and cursed

i was thinking it was a front end issue, but the drive line makes more sense. i would think the clunking sound would happen at take off though, not when i turn... that's like the only time the noise happens... when i turn to the left.
Unread 04-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #4
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

update

jeep went to the dealership this morning. tech called a while ago and said a total of 11 tech have ridden in my jeep, and were all scared evidently, it was vibrating VIOLENTLY. they are all stumped however. they are doing an alignment right now, but they're pretty sure that's not it. they can't find anything out of spec, no worn parts. only thing is the steering dampener had a recall on it, so they ordered one, and it will be installed tomorrow morning.

he said the next step is to replace the entire front axle if the new dampener doesn't fix it. one tech said he had a very similar deal a couple years ago, and they ended up swapping the front axle and it went away. so i may get a new axle out of it. maybe i can talk them into a dana 44

they all seemed pretty doubtful that the steering stabilizer would cause this type of vibration. i know they help, but it can't solve this sort of thing!

i'll keep everyone updated.
Unread 04-23-2008, 01:24 PM   #5
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Sounds like death wobble. This is usually cause by loose items in your front end, worn bushings, poor alignment, tires being out of balance or unevenly worn. This happens all the time, just do a search for death wobble.

No need to replace the front axle, chances are in that case something was just loose and the techs missed it, when they replaced the axle they tightened it as part of the install.

As for your knocking, its likely your Tcase linkage. The dealer should know about this, there is a TSB on it. No harm is done by it, just annoying. Here is a writeup:

http://www.4x4xplor.com/T-CaseTSB.html

I wouldn't bother repairing that unless they do it for free (prob not covered under warrenty) I'd opt for the $35 AA bracket that removes the linkage from the body making your Tcase shift much smoother and not affected by changes between your body and driveline.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 02:25 PM   #6
pardoni

i have an 03 sport that did the same thing, but didn't start happening until after I put the 2" lift in. Happened to my daughter while on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Once it was re-alligned and I installed a beefier stabilizer shock (Rancho), the problem has never come back. All hail the death wobble!
pardoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 02:37 PM   #7
Crashnburn80
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardoni View Post
Happened to my daughter while on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge.
Somehow that seems fitting. BTW, Welcome to the forum pardoni.

OME ZJ/LJ combo | SwayLOC | 1.25" BL | Nth TT | Riddler diff covers | EMP gastank skid | 33" MTRs | Warn M8000 | Cobra75
and much more...

Riddler torture test video
Oil Filter Study
Useful Axle Info Thread
Crashnburn80 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2008, 03:00 PM   #8
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Crashburn, you are the man. i appreciate the info on the knocking sound. i just called the tech guys at the shop and they were like "wow, never heard of that... we'll check into it!"
Unread 04-23-2008, 03:19 PM   #9
1CleanTJ
1999 TJ Wrangler 

wow id be questioning how well these techs know there stuff if they dont even know the most common causes of violent shaking on a jeep..... Seems to me like they dont know much and just want to toss parts at it hoping it gets fixed since its under warranty
1CleanTJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #10
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

well, he said they checked the trac bar, and all front end components. he said everything was torqued to spec, and there weren't any worn parts. he even showed me a list of all the front end bolts, and what they are supposed to be torqued to, and said they checked every one. they even swapped 3 different sets of wheels and tires to see if it was my wheels and tires i have on it. everything from stock wheels and tires, to an employee's jeep's 33" tires and steelies. no dice. same thing happened. these guys seem pretty ok after talking to them. i was thinking what you were thinking until i went in after work to check on it. they basically talked about everything that i read on the forum here that could lead to it.

he did call this morning and said they are going to check the integrity of the frame... something about measuring crossways from zxle to axle to make sure the frame is perfectly straight and the axles are aligned.

more updates to come.
Unread 04-24-2008, 09:42 AM   #11
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Misaligned axles wouldn't cause death wobble. Tons of guys on this forum run their rigs without adjustable track bars and while it's not ideal, their Jeeps don't get the DW.

If, and I repeat IF they checked each and every bolt and everything is torqued to spec. -- I would check the mounting hole for the front track bar bolt on the passenger side. Look to see if it's been widened somehow, allowing for the track bar to have some play when a bump is hit.

If they swapped three sets of wheels and tires on, the alignment is good and they were still getting DW I can virtually guarantee that one of your steering components is loose.

I find it hilarious that as soon as someone comes to a dealership with DW the first thing they do is swap in a new steering stabilizer -- as though that's what's keeping the entire front end from rattling itself apart.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 10:16 AM   #12
TheBoogieman
Demonic Jeep Freak!

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by majkowskid View Post
Crashburn, you are the man. i appreciate the info on the knocking sound. i just called the tech guys at the shop and they were like "wow, never heard of that... we'll check into it!"
You need to take your Jeep to better mechanics.
TheBoogieman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 11:58 AM   #13
majkowskid
2005 TJ Wrangler 

the only reason they are replacing the steering stabilizer right now is because he said there was a bulletin out about it.

as far as bringing it to better mechanics, i'd love to do that, but there is only 1 jeep dealership within 100 miles of here, and i'm at it the jeep is under warranty, so it'll stay there until it's fixed.
Unread 04-24-2008, 12:09 PM   #14
thejafe
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
the only reason they are replacing the steering stabilizer right now is because he said there was a bulletin out about it.
Right, but in one of your earlier posts you wrote:

Quote:
he said the next step is to replace the entire front axle if the new dampener doesn't fix it.
Which points to the fact that they even considered the idea that a steering stabilizer would fix your problem.
thejafe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2008, 01:18 PM   #15
pardoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by pardoni View Post
i have an 03 sport that did the same thing, but didn't start happening until after I put the 2" lift in. Happened to my daughter while on the Tacoma Narrows Bridge. Once it was re-alligned and I installed a beefier stabilizer shock (Rancho), the problem has never come back. All hail the death wobble!
I failed to mention that I toe'd it in just a bit
pardoni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.