Viking Fastback Soft Top Review - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Viking Fastback Soft Top Review

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 11-22-2008, 03:19 PM   #1
ThomasW
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Viking Fastback Soft Top Review

I think I have been eyeing this top ever since I got my Jeep in February, and I am extremely excited to finally own one. I bought it used for $400 in almost mint condition. I really really like this top compared to my factory soft top however it has a few drawbacks.

Things I like:
-HUGE windows (less fabric, more window)
-frameless design
-more quiet than my denim top
-converts to safari top easily and windows store in a bag in the top
-smaller blind spots

Problems:
-extremely tight fit, must install when its warm
-gap where it meets the windshield and door frame, will leak
-less headroom for passengers, I don't care I'm driving

Inside pockets and strap that goes around the cage to pull the top tight, 2 great features

Decreased blind spots compared to OEM top

{My Jeep on flickr} {Build Thread} {Viking Fastback Top Review}
ThomasW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 03:23 PM   #2
ThomasW
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Gap where window meets door surround, the plastic lip doesn't want to stay in as well

Corner doesn't want to roll into the header, also notice the large gap

Window bag velcro'd into place, as well as width tightening straps and straps to attach the rear window

Side windows wrap around the bars to the top where they zip in

Right side corner won't go into the rail, maybe just my top. It is sewn through the plastic, and it prevents me from tucking it in.

The straps are too long so I have to tuck them back behind. It's a nice system though because you can really tighten the top back with this, and this is what keeps it in place in safari mode.

Overall I am very pleased and excited about this top, it can really transform the look of your Jeep and not many people have them. The fabric is not much thicker than my old denim soft top but it is a great deal quieter with the lack of flapping and whipping. I can't wait for the spring now to store the windows in between the 2 back layers in the nice bag it came with. (Has dividers for the windows so they do not scratch each other.)

I'll let you guys know how I'm liking it after I get to do some more driving in it, and some highway driving. Please ask any questions you may have. I can provide more pictures if needed too.

Last edited by ThomasW; 11-22-2008 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: updated pix
Unread 11-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
reddevils
1999 TJ Wrangler 

compared to the factory top(besttop) poor fit,poor workmanship,leaks,straped up like a 1930s hooker,it looks like a p.o.s. to me.just my opinion
reddevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 04:40 PM   #4
gaucho919
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I like it, you can fix those little bugs if you keep trying and adjusting. Great pictures man
Unread 11-22-2008, 05:28 PM   #5
jprs_peeprs
2006 TJ Wrangler 

re

I really dont understand the fasination with these tops. I've watch numerous threads on this topic and still can't seem to acertain what the preceived quality is! It seems to have poor fit/finish and is poorly priced. The quality of materials seems about par with rug'd ridge/smitty built and the shape is rather constricting....Now I'll tell how I really feel! haheha:tee hee:

C.
jprs_peeprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 05:41 PM   #6
87warrior
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The front header gap is caused by the bestop header bar, not at all to do with viking. Readjust the top a few times and those pesky corner deals should fit just fine. Nice write up and description.

I get a good amount of wind noise with my viking caused by the bestop header bar. In any case I like the top and am sure you will as well!
87warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
dabprice
2006 TJ Wrangler 

I've had my Viking top for about two years and I have had none of the problems mentioned above. The front fits very well into the header on mine and looking at the photos above, something doesn't actually look right with the way ThomasW's front is put into the header.

I also do not have any open gap where the window meets the door surround.

I think the top is very well thought out. I rarely even detach the side windows when I open up the top: I just unzip the back window, flip it up on top, then loosen the side windows from the lower rails and flip them up on top as well. Pull the top flap back into place, hook it up and I'm off. It takes just a couple of minutes!

I think this top is very well designed. It is quiet and absolutely tight and dry.
dabprice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 06:16 PM   #8
BLK2000TJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

I've also had mine for 2+ years with no issues. All of the problems shown in the photos are easily fixed by properly adjusting the top.
BLK2000TJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
ThomasW
1999 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLK2000TJ View Post
I've also had mine for 2+ years with no issues. All of the problems shown in the photos are easily fixed by properly adjusting the top.
Thanks for the reassurance! Yea I did have a real hard time fitting it on in the cold. I guess I'll have to live with it like this all winter, I hope it doesn't mess it up.
Unread 11-23-2008, 05:18 AM   #10
wildjeeper
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I've had my Viking top for about a year now. Any issue I've had has been solved by adjusting the fit. It's a great top and I'm really pleased with mine.
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:27 AM   #11
fromme
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddevils View Post
compared to the factory top(besttop) poor fit,poor workmanship,leaks,straped up like a 1930s hooker,it looks like a p.o.s. to me.just my opinion
I agree, and I fail to understand the fascination with these tops. I tried one out and I hated it. Luckily I found someone in my club to trade his factory top for it, and he couldn't be happier. So there are definitely people that love them, just like those that dislike them. I couldn't stand the way that cursed Bestop channel fit, the constant wind noise it produced (which was from using that header, no way around it), the loss of headroom everywhere especially the back, and the ill fitment. It fit tight around the roll bars and such, but as shown the window tips constantly try to pull out of the door surrounds, and the thing never fits up the same way twice after you pull the windows off. All those little gaps make wind noise.
I once got caught in the rain with no shelter around, putting that top up in the rain is a huge pain the arse. I could have had a factory top up and windows zipped up in a quarter of the time it took me to fight that Viking in the wind and rain. It was then I knew that top wasn't for me.
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:00 AM   #12
Si1ver03Rubicon
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would never buy one. Just reading the poor reviews from people that have owned them told me that. Plus the outrageous price. Ya no thanks.
Si1ver03Rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:22 AM   #13
PANY
2006 TJ Wrangler 

As i recently said to another thread this softop (especially the frameless back side) make the Wrangler looks like a Lada Niva. I don't like it either even its quality is very good. Of course as another friend said, it's just my opinion.
PANY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:42 AM   #14
jchappy
2011 JK Wrangler 

WOW this is the first thread that has any negative feedback on this top. I've been wanting to buy one since my Factory top is loosing all it's thread/seams. I've read at least 3 different jeep sites and all love this top.
MY NEW JEEP- 2011 JEEP JKUR, Body Armor front bumper, Warn XD9000I winch, Synthetic winch line,XRC Rear Bumper W/Tire carrier, OBA W/1Gal Tank, Terafex 2.5in spring lift, Bilstein 5100 shocks,GY 315/70R17 Duratracs, 4.88 G2 gears, Cobra 75 CB

MY OLD JEEP-1999 Wrangler Sport 4.0L, 4" Pro Comp Lift, 33" BFG's, 8K winch, SYE, Viking soft top, onboard CO2 and all the recovery straps and equipment
jchappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:28 AM   #15
elkfan2
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si1ver03Rubicon View Post
I would never buy one. Just reading the poor reviews from people that have owned them told me that. Plus the outrageous price. Ya no thanks.
but you bought a lift from a company that has had poor reviews for as long as they have been in buisness? Hows that working for you?
elkfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.