Viking Bowless Soft Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > TJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Viking Bowless Soft Top

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINERô UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-08-2012, 12:39 PM   #1
Planktonamor
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Viking Bowless Soft Top

Any owners have some opinions? I am looking at a new top and this looks interesting. I like the look, however not sure the ease of use. I am used to the OEM top and this for some reason looks difficult to take windows out, etc. I do like that it has storage of the windows in the top.

On a normal day, I like rolling up the back window and pulling out the back windows. Only takes me a couple minutes to do it. How is it on the Viking compared to the OEM top? Any issues with leaks? How about quality? Any other information would be great.

I read the reviews in the "reviews" section and it helped, but nothing really compared ease of use to the OEM.

Thanks

Planktonamor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #2
caa434
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It's made by rampage now. I here the Viking version was good, but the rampage is poor quality. Mine leaks and the straps are failing, and it's only three months old
caa434 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Planktonamor
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Well that sucks...Where is it leaking at?

The other thing, can you just roll up the rear window like OEM, or do you have to take out both back side windows to remove the rear window?

Thanks
Unread 09-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
caa434
2006 TJ Wrangler 

It leaks around the tailgate, and at the front corners. You can remove the rear window on its own. The safari top is great, but the full top makes me wish I had bought something else
caa434 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
ken123
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Really like mine 2 1/2 years on, door upper are old and leak a bit (Seattle...). Stitching could be better - can see a few threads here and there . Mite try the sail cloth next time...
dscn5286.jpg  
ken123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 04:48 PM   #6
dmgiff
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I loved the look of mine; it takes me about ten minutes to put the rear windows in and it always trashes my thumbs. My straps rotted and broke (the ones that run down and clip/clamp/hook onto the lip above the tailgate) within six months. I sewed new straps on myself. I think the sun wrecked the factory crappy straps. After my frustration, I rewarded myself with a Bestop Sailcloth. I like it. A lot.
dmgiff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 05:46 PM   #7
G Beasley
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Soft Topper makes what looks to be a really nice top that is of the same style . Theres also the Trektop from Best top too if you want the frameless style . Its sad to read all the negative about the Rampage top as good as the viking stuff from Thor was .
Unread 09-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #8
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I've had mine a long time. Probably 4-5 years or so.

Ease of use- 10. Once you figure it out, I can have the windows in and out in under 5 minutes.

Watertight - 4 mine leaks around the joint above the roll bar. Nothing is there to fix, just a design flaw. It's a pretty steady drip on my shoulder.

Looks- 10. Still better than the trektop IMO.

The only thing that has broken are the little plastic clips to tighten the rear straps. I used chain quick links and have never had a problem again.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
Planktonamor
1998 TJ Wrangler 

SofTopper's looks nice, didn't know about them. Anyone have one of these? Any feedback on them?

I don't like the Bestop one because from what I understand, you can't just roll up the back window and leave in the side windows. They apparently are an all or none from what I've read? Can anyone confirm?

I also really like the idea of having window storage in the top. I wish the OEM had this, or I could find an accessory that did this. I live by the coast in SC, the land of the popup thunderstorms. I don't like the window rolls, because I'd be afraid someone would steal them.
Unread 09-08-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
dawghouse

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I have a SofToppers soft top. I love it. I wanted to remove my hard top and get a soft top but didn't want to have to buy a frame. It made very well from sailcloth material. The company was very easy to do business with. One of the things i like vs the Rampage is the straps that attach in the rear are on the inside instead of the outside. It also comes with everything you need. Windshield bar, Tailgate bar, Door Surrounds, and the two brackets for the tailgate bar that attach to the tub. They also put a aluminum bar that is made into the top of the back of the top. It keeps the top from flapping in the wind when you have the windows out to run as a safari top. I can't say enough good things about mine. I doubt I will even put the hard top back on. I did notice that it is quieter than my buddy's TJ that has a factory soft top. The frame in his seems to add to the noise. In mine it is a lot quieter. I ordered it on a Monday and had it on a Friday. Another thing I like is that when I am out and about. I want to take the windows out. I can store them in the top. It comes with a head liner that allows you to put the windows over head between the top and the headliner.
dawghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2012, 09:58 AM   #11
Planktonamor
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks...how easy is it to take down the safari top and go wide open? That's one thing that's nice about the oem with a frame.

Thanks
Unread 09-09-2012, 12:00 PM   #12
0IIIIIII0
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planktonamor
Thanks...how easy is it to take down the safari top and go wide open? That's one thing that's nice about the oem with a frame.

Thanks
3 straps, roll it up and tuck it behind the seats.

Be advised, there is a steep learning curve to getting it back on in a hurry. Once you figure it out though, I don't think it takes more than a few minutes.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
- Samuel Adams
0IIIIIII0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #13
Planktonamor
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Ok, I think I am going to pull the trigger on the softopper, but one last question...does the softopper balloon up when driving? I just saw a jeep driving down the road with a Bowles top...no idea of the brand, but it was balloon up. Makes me a little concerned. Thanks
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #14
john4ward
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah... That's a bit of a concern... Usually I unzip the back window about half way if I'm around town, but sometimes I'll take out the tailgate bar and fold the window up into the roof. I don't much like the parachute effect.
john4ward is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
TheRealKTrain
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by G Beasley View Post
Soft Topper makes what looks to be a really nice top that is of the same style . Theres also the Trektop from Best top too if you want the frameless style . Its sad to read all the negative about the Rampage top as good as the viking stuff from Thor was .
Agreed, it's a plus that the Trektop comes with everything needed, for those with a hard top currently.

At the price of the Rampage, it's hard to complain about quality IMO.

Μολὼν λαβέ
TheRealKTrain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.