Vibrations after my regear - JeepForum.com
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-24-2017, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
rbaucom7266
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Vibrations after my regear

I had revolution 4.88 R and P set installed in the front and rear of my TJ. Also had a Detroit Trutrac and lockrite installed as well.
It's back on the road for about a week. Been running great.
Started to notice what I would call a rotational vibration at about 60 mph. It's not a consistent vibe but it almost comes and goes at a steady but not fast pace. Scares me because the vibe is slow enough that it wouldn't be the tires. As they are spinning way faster.

I do have an SYE and CV drive shaft and adjustable upper control arms. I also know that the the bigger gears and high rpm's some show drive line vibes that weren't there before.

Is what I describe more consistent with drive line vibes or could it be something else?? Like problem with gear set or tires??? I have not determined if it's the front or rear yet. I can feel it vibrating through the pedals and even the seat. Only at 60+ mph.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-24-2017, 01:11 PM
XJ_jeepin_06

1997 TJ Wrangler 

If all the has changed are the gears, then I would suspect the driveshafts. I would pull each shaft and drive. I had this problem on my XJ. It was that front pinion angle, only choice was to angle it up and make the caster angle crappy.

Might also be a slight balance issue on a driveshaft. They probably haven't spun this fast in their life. A small bend can really show up at higher rotation speeds.
olysteve and JimSmith like this.

1997 TJ. Red. 4.0/AX15/NP231 SSSYE. D30/S35. Lokka/E-Locker. 4.10s. RC2.5" JK Rubi Tires/Wheels.
Antirock.

2000 2dr XJ D44HP/9in ARBs. 36" Iroks. Lots of skids/Lots of Damage. SOLD 6-6-2013
post #3 of 16 Old 08-24-2017, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
rbaucom7266
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_jeepin_06 View Post
If all the has changed are the gears, then I would suspect the driveshafts. I would pull each shaft and drive. I had this problem on my XJ. It was that front pinion angle, only choice was to angle it up and make the caster angle crappy.

Might also be a slight balance issue on a driveshaft. They probably haven't spun this fast in their life. A small bend can really show up at higher rotation speeds.

Ok cool, I'm going to check to see if it is a drive shaft issue and which one it is. The rear is a new Adams drive shaft. The front is stock. I also read about balance problems causing vibes. If it is a drive shaft problem I will see about getting them balanced.

post #4 of 16 Old 08-24-2017, 07:46 PM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Isn't there an issue where the NV3550 sometimes gets an almost uncurable vibration with 4.88's?
post #5 of 16 Old 08-24-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
rbaucom7266
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
Isn't there an issue where the NV3550 sometimes gets an almost uncurable vibration with 4.88's?

I read Unlimited04 thread and he described it better than me. It's def a pulsating vibration. I'm going to start with my driveshafts and pinion angle and go from there.
There does seems to be a good amount of threads to confirm these vibes.
I have a sneaky suspicion that's it's the front drive shaft because it never spun that fast and the Adams only has a couple hundred miles on it with no wheelin.

post #6 of 16 Old 08-25-2017, 07:00 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaucom7266 View Post
I read Unlimited04 thread and he described it better than me. It's def a pulsating vibration. I'm going to start with my driveshafts and pinion angle and go from there.
There does seems to be a good amount of threads to confirm these vibes.
I have a sneaky suspicion that's it's the front drive shaft because it never spun that fast and the Adams only has a couple hundred miles on it with no wheelin.

Unlimited04's thread and the others who chimed in were talking about the 42RLE IIRC. While an avenue to explore for you that difference is not minor.
post #7 of 16 Old 08-25-2017, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
rbaucom7266
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by biffgnar View Post
Unlimited04's thread and the others who chimed in were talking about the 42RLE IIRC. While an avenue to explore for you that difference is not minor.

Yep your right!! I'm going to start checking some thing and see if I can find where the vibrations are coming from, but based on my description. What would you be leaning towards, that it could be????

I browsed through the whole thread but either missed it or didn't see it, but what was unlimited04 conclusion on the problem?? Did he get it fixed???

post #8 of 16 Old 08-25-2017, 11:20 AM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Yep your right!! I'm going to start checking some thing and see if I can find where the vibrations are coming from, but based on my description. What would you be leaning towards, that it could be????

I browsed through the whole thread but either missed it or didn't see it, but what was unlimited04 conclusion on the problem?? Did he get it fixed???

Until you've tested driveshafts individually I wouldn't go any farther than that.

For some people, the 42RLE cyclic vibe seems to be unsolveable. Others don't get it at all. So many variables in our setups that can affect the harmonics.
rbaucom7266 likes this.
post #9 of 16 Old 08-25-2017, 02:05 PM
LoveMy2KTJ
2000 TJ Wrangler 

rbaucom7266 let me know what you find out I have a 2000 TJ 4.0L and I am having the same problem right at 60+mph. I also did the SYE and CV drive shaft and adjustable upper control arms but still have the problem. I went from stock 3.07 ratio to a 4.10 ratio.
post #10 of 16 Old 08-25-2017, 02:08 PM
biffgnar

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveMy2KTJ View Post
rbaucom7266 let me know what you find out I have a 2000 TJ 4.0L and I am having the same problem right at 60+mph. I also did the SYE and CV drive shaft and adjustable upper control arms but still have the problem. I went from stock 3.07 ratio to a 4.10 ratio.
You should probably start your own thread, but I don't think I've heard of anyone having unsolveable vibes with gearing that high. Sounds like a pinion orientation issue. And fill out your profile so that people are better able to help you.
olysteve likes this.
post #11 of 16 Old 09-09-2017, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
rbaucom7266
2002 TJ Wrangler 

I pulled the front drive shaft and that pulsating vibration is gone. So something is definitely a foul with front drive shaft. I am about to set up my front adjustable control arms and track bar. I guess I should start with my pinion angle being dead on and see if they are still there. If the vibes are gone then, working on setting caster.

If they are still there. What should I do first before considering a new drive shaft???
Get new U joints?? Have it balanced?? Rebuild???

As for the rear, my pinion angle is dead on 17 degrees. Drives smooth as everything until about 70 mph. I get a vibration sensation. No where near as bad and I can hardly feel anything. Could this be more of a result of worn tires or crappy road conditions??? I only feel it in my seat and it's ever so slight.
I need new tires bad so I feel it's a contributing factor to the ride.

post #12 of 16 Old 09-09-2017, 10:23 AM
JimSmith
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
I pulled the front drive shaft and that pulsating vibration is gone. So something is definitely a foul with front drive shaft. I am about to set up my front adjustable control arms and track bar. I guess I should start with my pinion angle being dead on and see if they are still there. If the vibes are gone then, working on setting caster.

If they are still there. What should I do first before considering a new drive shaft???
Get new U joints?? Have it balanced?? Rebuild???

As for the rear, my pinion angle is dead on 17 degrees. Drives smooth as everything until about 70 mph. I get a vibration sensation. No where near as bad and I can hardly feel anything. Could this be more of a result of worn tires or crappy road conditions??? I only feel it in my seat and it's ever so slight.
I need new tires bad so I feel it's a contributing factor to the ride.
Check the slip joint for play, mine had a bad vibration in the front. There was about an 1/8'" play in that slip joint and there was only a 143,000 miles on it. I had replaced the u joints in the front and the centering ball had also seen better days, also had pinion angles just right so I opted for a new Tom Woods shaft....Vibes are gone

At that speed you could be feeling the 6cyl humming along with the higher RPM's. Wouldn't worry about it to much if like you say can barely feel it. Could also be tranny mount or motor mounts if those haven't been changed yet.

'98 Chili Pepper 2.5, AX5, 33x12.5x15, 5.13, D30 Aussie, Super 35
post #13 of 16 Old 09-09-2017, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
rbaucom7266
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimSmith View Post
Check the slip joint for play, mine had a bad vibration in the front. There was about an 1/8'" play in that slip joint and there was only a 143,000 miles on it. I had replaced the u joints in the front and the centering ball had also seen better days, also had pinion angles just right so I opted for a new Tom Woods shaft....Vibes are gone

At that speed you could be feeling the 6cyl humming along with the higher RPM's. Wouldn't worry about it to much if like you say can barely feel it. Could also be tranny mount or motor mounts if those haven't been changed yet.

I feel good about the rear. The front drive shaft feels tight doesn't really have any play in it. All the joints move freely. The U joints could stand to be replaced but they seem fine.

I'm really starting to think it's my front drive line angle. I just changed my control arms but never set them up. I took one off and put the new on and just adjusted them to fit for the moment. So I'm going to get all that set up and see what happens. If the vibes are still there then I might just go ahead and a new drive shaft. I do think mine is good now, so I really hope the getting the pinion angle right will fix it. Fingers crossed.

post #14 of 16 Old 09-09-2017, 07:55 PM
joe_jeep
2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Pull the front driveshaft out, hit the freeway.
See if the vibration is still there.

My Rubicon with 5.38s and an automatic has the harmonic noise/vibration.
It's silent and smooth with the front driveshaft out.
I have a lock out hub set, ready to b installed, to cure it.

It's r as re to have the same issue with a manual trans.
You might shave a different issue entirely.

glfwda #6624
2005 rubicon sahara lj #592
post #15 of 16 Old 09-19-2017, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
rbaucom7266
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Set up my front control arms over the weekend and installed a new track bar. Bumpstops are pretty close to being centered at full bump. Tires fit in the wheel well nicely and shocks are not bottoming out.

Axles are squared to each other spot on. By an angle finder on the front diff my caster is about 6*. Going to take it out tonight and check for vibes and see if I need to adjust front pinion angle. The rear is within a degree with a digital angle finder.

Going to also get new tires tomorrow and a alignment. So hopefully al this will solve my vibration. It seems like a harmonic vibration but I hope that new tires and pinion angle will fix it before I start thinking of new front drive shaft.

One more question. Going to the mountains from Charlotte next weekend and I'm either going to be right at or a little over my 500 miles for my new gears. Should I change the fluid before I go or since I have at least 350 miles before I hit 500 should I wait and change it after I get back. It shouldn't be much over 500. Maybe 50 miles or so

Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.